free to air channels with sky and moving house

Hi,

I cancelled sky tv a few years back, and have been using the free to air channels.
We are moving out of our rented place to another place, which doesn't have a sky dish. Is there any way to get a dish installed, and use our current sky card and sky + hd box with just the free to air channels?
Or do i have to call sky and get a new package?

Thanks.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Just find a local satellite installer who will be able to get you the dish and cabling sorted out. No need to spend money on Sky if you don't need to.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    qwertyty wrote: »
    do i have to call sky and get a new package?
    Absolutely not.

Time to upgrade to a Freesat decoder, which will allow recording of the Free-to-air channels you have been viewing with your old Sky decoder.

Forget contacting Sky unless you want to re-subscribe to their services.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/?gclid=CLaC7vja3tICFc-6Gwod5TAErQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • artyclarty
    artyclarty Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It would be possible, but you would have to ask permission from your new landlord before getting anything installed. Does this new place have an aerial on the roof? If it does, you could just use your TVs inbuilt Freeview (or Freeview HD if the tv is new enough/well spec'd) tuner which gives much the same service as Freesat from sky.
  • qwertyty
    qwertyty Posts: 48 Forumite
    Thanks, the Estate agent have said that if I want a dish set up, I cant go via a local installer and have to go via sky (and have to take it down when I move out)....
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Thanks, the Estate agent have said that if I want a dish set up, I cant go via a local installer and have to go via sky (and have to take it down when I move out)....

How will the agent know.........
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I doubt that's included in your contract anywhere, why would it matter which professional installs it?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If the new home has an aerial it would be cheaper to buy a Freeview PVR. Then you have a record, pause, rewind facility which the Sky box does not have without a subscription.

There are some real bargains on the Humax website, including the new boxes with catchup and ability to record up to 4 programmes at once.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure