Beware icarhireinsurance.com

Options

Comments

• Jlo31
    Jlo31 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi,

I've tweeteted insurance4carhire to get there response on it. You have deffo highlighted a potential floor in these after market insurances. The strange thing I read up reviews on feefo and other such sites and while most reviews were just about the taking out of these insurance policies, there were people that had claimed and were overall happy no mention that I saw of loss of use charges. Some policies seem quicker at paying out than others.

If I get a reply from Twitter I'll certainly update you with their response.

Cheers

James
  • Jlo31
    Options
    deceived wrote: »
    Jlo31 do not get sucked into the trap,the loss of use is if you cannot use the vehicle during the period you have hired it for.If the vehicle is damaged in any way the car hire company will charge you for loss of use(loss of earnings) and from what I can see none of the excess insurance polices cover this. From the limited investigation I have done and much to my annoyance icarhireinsurance seem to be the ones that do list it ,albeit last ,everybody else seems to skim over it but then you find a clause about consequential charges and I would bet money it is hidden in there. I do not think there is any safe way around paying the hire company their own insurance without being out of pocket in the event of a claim.
    x

I have had a look in to halo insurance (iccarexcess) and yep I see the exclusion that they applied to you. '

Any costs that the Rental Company charges You for any period that the Rental Vehicle cannot be rented.'

I agree that is naughty of them. Thanks for highlighting this.

I'll see if insurance4carhire is the same.

Cheers

James
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    carhireexcess.co.uk 'appears' to cover loss of use (see below) but not defined as to whether that's loss of use during rental period or loss of use for car Hire company whilst under repair. I have used them several times as rates are excellent and cover seems good but (touch wood) haven't had to claim. Now this potential loophole has been flagged I am going to contact them and seek clarification as I was just about to take out another policy. I'll post up their response.

Excess Reimbursement
    We will reimburse you up to the policy limit stated below for the amount of excess you have to pay under the terms of the rental agreement if your rental vehicle is involved in an incident and it results in:
    a) damage to the rental vehicle including damage to the windows, windscreen, tyres and wheels, headlights, the undercarriage or the roof
    b) loss of use of the rental vehicle
    c) towing costs relating to damage or mechanical breakdown, provided that you are held responsible as declared in the rental agreement for the excess.
  • deceived
    deceived Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Be good to here what these companies class as loss of use. Thanks all.
  • Jlo31
    Options
    Insurance4carhire (different company to the one the op used) does cover loss of use and lost income. Just heard back from their Twitter support

' @I4CH Yes we will cover the charges from the rental company due to the loss of income during the time the vehicle is off the road...'
  • Jlo31
    Options
    I think Decieved has raised a very valid point though to check small print in policies as they certainly don't all seem equal in core rage.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Shedman wrote: »
    carhireexcess.co.uk 'appears' to cover loss of use (see below) but not defined as to whether that's loss of use during rental period or loss of use for car Hire company whilst under repair. I have used them several times as rates are excellent and cover seems good but (touch wood) haven't had to claim. Now this potential loophole has been flagged I am going to contact them and seek clarification as I was just about to take out another policy. I'll post up their response.

Excess Reimbursement
    We will reimburse you up to the policy limit stated below for the amount of excess you have to pay under the terms of the rental agreement if your rental vehicle is involved in an incident and it results in:
    a) damage to the rental vehicle including damage to the windows, windscreen, tyres and wheels, headlights, the undercarriage or the roof
    b) loss of use of the rental vehicle
    c) towing costs relating to damage or mechanical breakdown, provided that you are held responsible as declared in the rental agreement for the excess.

carhireexcess.co.uk have now got back to me and confirmed that they cover excess charged for rental company's loss of use "[FONT=&quot]Yes, I can confirm the policy will cover for loss of use excess from the rental company"[/FONT]
  • deceived
    Options
    Thanks very much for the help people, I think I should change my name to Murphy or Sod as I seem to have picked the one that does not cover loss of use by the rental company.
  • localshop
    localshop Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Before anyone rushes off thinking Insurance4carhire are comprehensive I can't see any cover for loss of keys. Wording omits 'loss' : CAR RENTAL KEY COVER
    This Policy covers You, for costs incurred up to a maximum of £500 per claim, for Damage to the Membership
    Card/Key for a Rental Vehicle - including replacement locks and locksmith charges. The most We will pay in
    any Period of Insurance is £2,000.
  • Worldtraveler_2
    Options
    Just had a tyre puncture with Centauro in Portugal. Filled a claim to icarhireinsurance.
    Centauro charged only €125 for the accident, no any other "loss".
    It's my first claim with them, so let's check how it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure