'Forced' work from Job Center.

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Sure - so people who work have to scrape and save and people who NEVER worked can enjoy their Jeremy Kyle... sure...

I think that people who have never worked are much rarer than things like Jeremy Kyle and the Daily Mail would have us believe. ;)
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Why is it idiotic to want to support yourself? At least I wouldn't be costing the taxpayer any money. Benefits should be there as a safety net for those who really need the help, not an automatic right.

Agreed that benefits should be a safety net but you assume that everyone has savings that they can use while looking for a job. Many people can't afford to save.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • invisibility
    Options
    This 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to whether you would claim benefits/live off savings is awful.

The whole point of benefits is so that you don't have to save up for a safety net in case you were out of work. Of course, many do, but you shouldn't HAVE to use your savings for that.

You have the right to claim JSA if you have less than £16,000 in savings. Could someone who has £15,000 afford to live off their savings for a while? Yes. But that's besides the point. I wouldn't judge them for claiming JSA at all. I'd want to protect my savings too.
  • Londonsu
    Londonsu Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    Options
    This 'holier than thou' attitude when it comes to whether you would claim benefits/live off savings is awful.

The whole point of benefits is so that you don't have to save up for a safety net in case you were out of work. Of course, many do, but you shouldn't HAVE to use your savings for that.

You have the right to claim JSA if you have less than £16,000 in savings. Could someone who has £15,000 afford to live off their savings for a while? Yes. But that's besides the point. I wouldn't judge them for claiming JSA at all. I'd want to protect my savings too.

Sorry that's not strictly true for income based JSA you can only claim the full amount if you have less then 6k in savings anything above 6k you lose £1 a week for every £250 over £6k. Over 16k - you get nothing. Also if you have a partner/spouse you would not be entitled to claim IB JSA if their income is more than the government says a working age couple need to live on and that's £114.85

Whether you want to protect your savings is neither here nor there if your savings take you over the IB JSA limit, you don't get the choice, you don't qualify
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Surely the whole point in saving is that you have some rainy day money for unexpected events and emergencies. It doesn't get much rainier than being out of work.

So if you had £15,000 in the bank you think that the taxpayer should pay your living expenses - including paying your rent/mortgage - so that you didn't have to touch your savings?
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sure - so people who work have to scrape and save and people who NEVER worked can enjoy their Jeremy Kyle... sure...

It's not difficult to save money when your working. The problem is that people find a way to spend every penny they have without thinking. If people spent a little bit of time getting the best deal on everything they buy they will be able to save money easily.
  • randomfandom
    randomfandom Posts: 54 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 8:46PM
    Options
    I despair of people who are so judgemental of those who need to sign on.
    Many of us are actually much closer to having to having to rely on benefits than we'd care to think; redundancy, debilitating illness or an accident is all it takes to turn someone's life upside down and once you're on the floor, it can be very difficult to get back on your feet again, as much as you may desperately want to.

As for mandatory Jobcentre schemes, they're a waste of time and money, which is why the government scrapped them some time ago. The only people who benefited were the programme providers who were paid millions of pounds of tax payers money and yet failed miserably to help the vast majority of unemployed people back in to work.

If people are going to be angry about anything they should be railing against the government who were happy to waste money - money we're constantly told is in short supply - on schemes and programmes for which there was never any evidence that they would be effective.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    op hows it going?
  • stuart30
    stuart30 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Options
    What about prostitution as a way of making a living..cant be that hard,yes ok some late nights involved and the odd STI or is it STD,but then come on weve all had them haven't we so no biggie there...lol

And lets be honest there's some right old dogs walking the streets..some have hardly any teeth..suppose thats snogging out of the question.

Must remeber to call me Nanna tomorrow..think her money worries will be over soon.:eek::D
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was on JSA I wasn't sitting at home doing nothing! I was applying for jobs every single day, I was volunteering, I took some courses. I would have been rather peeved to have had to stop doing my productive, job hunting activities to go and provide free labour for an employer that should be taking people on if it has work that needs doing!...

Fair points about you spending your time applying for jobs etc but, unfortunately, that wasn't the reason the op gave for not wanting to take this work experience post. It was because he/she thought they would be 'working for free' and not because it would curtail their efforts at finding work.
    t-mids wrote: »
    ...I have to attend an actual job...
    ...but no pay...
    ...I honestly would not mind doing this job, however not for free...
    ...I really do not want to work for anybody for free...

On a slightly different note, I wish some others would take their personal arguments off the general message board and perhaps use personal messaging if they want to continue them. It's boring listening to two people having a spat in public.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure