National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sonstream wrote: »
    this is incorrect a joint application would create a financial association

Thanks for this correction sonstream.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • mrmagooooooo
    Options
    I personally wouldn't risk it and just apply for the mortgage it in a sole names if possible.

How long ago was the Bankruptcy and repossession?

And come on own up.. Who's put 20p in GingerBob again!! lol
  • hodge263
    hodge263 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Repossession was February 2011 and bankruptcy September 2011. We wanted to buy together because it will give us the opportunity to borrow enough to buy a house we want to stay in long term. Would only be probably £10-15k more than my partner can borrow on his own but it would make a big difference to us. It wouldn't be the end of the world if he had to be the sole applicant but ideally we want the best house we can afford.
  • SeanG79
    SeanG79 Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would expect the mortgage adviser has seen a copy of both your credit reports from all 3 reference agencies? That should put them in a position to properly advise what a mortgage lender will see and then based on experience of their risk appetite, decide which lender to approach in a joint application or if it should be an individual application.

I assume Nationwide weren't the lender to repossess previously as they may keep record of repossessions longer than 6 years...
  • hodge263
    Options
    Yes he has seen our credit files. The only thing on there is my bankruptcy which is a big problem I know! No defaults or anything. The repossession was with Royal Bank of Scotland. My partner banks with Nationwide and has done for over 20 years, he also has a help to buy ISA with them not sure if any of that will make a difference.
  • SeanG79
    Options
    I'm not a mortgage advisor but in my opinion you will struggle to have a high street lender approve a mortgage with a bankruptcy showing on your file.

Have you got active credit since the bankruptcy that you have been repaying on time?

Personally I would wait for the bankruptcy to come off your file before applying for any joint credit.
  • hodge263
    Options
    Yes I have a barclaycard and a vanquis card, I just buy my petrol each month and pay in full. I also kept my mobile phone contract after bankruptcy. The original plan was to wait until September for the bankruptcy to come off my file. We made the appointment with the mortgage advisor to see if a joint mortgage would be possible and he said waiting until September wouldn't make a difference. We will probably wait until then anyway so that we have plenty saved for furniture etc but we would like to be armed with as much accurate information as possible when we do apply.
  • SeanG79
    Options
    In my opinion, a bankruptcy showing on the credit search will definitely make a difference - it would make a difference on car finance, so I expect it would make a difference on a mortgage. September is not that far away, so I would wait until then.
  • hodge263
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts