Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Gina Miller - Annoying

Options
zarf2007
zarf2007 Posts: 651 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 16 March 2017 at 11:47AM in Debate House Prices & the Economy
http://news.sky.com/story/gina-miller-says-i-will-take-government-back-to-court-if-it-doesnt-keep-brexit-promise-10801390

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)

it really angers me that remoaners are acting like this, do you really think if the vote went the other way they would have entertained even half of the brexit blocking tactics used against leavers?

it seems people have selective memories when it comes to democracy.

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    This is the bit I find most amusing -
    She added: "My point has always been that Parliament needs to be sovereign. It needs to be at the centre of everything and if Parliament won't stand up for themselves, and I have to say everything I have invested in this, I have taken the horses to water, they didn't necessarily drink.

So she believes that parliament is sovereign...right up to the point that it doesn't do what she wants.

Sounds a little bit like Ms Miller really believes that Ms Miller is sovereign to me...
  • davomcdave
    davomcdave Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    This is the bit I find most amusing -

So she believes that parliament is sovereign...right up to the point that it doesn't do what she wants.

Sounds a little bit like Ms Miller really believes that Ms Miller is sovereign to me...

The way I read her point is that she has led the horse to water and it hasn't drunk. It's not her place to force the horse to drink and she's done her bit.

What do you see her point as being?

As Half Man Half Biscuit sang, "You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead".
  • kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think Ms Miller is a frustrated wannabe politician.

I think she should consider standing for election somewhere.

I'd rather people with conviction like her used political channels than the law courts. Only the lawyers really win in the courts.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    davomcdave wrote: »

As Half Man Half Biscuit sang, "You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead".

Laurel and Hardy used that line in about 1925. Laurel said it and Hardy did his sudden befuddled look.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Her sole real aim is to drag things out to the extent events come along that cause us to remain.

She wont give a damn for Westminster sovereignty if Brussels were back in charge inflicting things on the people that nobody voted for.
  • zarf2007
    Options
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    Wow...such anger.
    Are you lot not supposed to be magnanimous in victory? :)

what like the rest of the remoaners would be? constantly crying like the fools they are....
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zarf2007 wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/gina-miller-says-i-will-take-government-back-to-court-if-it-doesnt-keep-brexit-promise-10801390

can someone please tell this stupid remoaner she has lost.....I am tired of her self serving !!!! that we have to constantly listen to.....

it really angers me that remoaners are acting like this, do you really think if the vote went the other way they would have entertained even half of the brexit blocking tactics used against leavers?

it seems people have selective memories when it comes to democracy.

If the vote had gone the other way by a small margin I am certain that there would be continued legal and political pressure to make changes in freedom of movement, the supremacy of the European courts, the amount of money UK pays in, the extent of regulatory constraints, ...

Why should there not be similar pressure to shape Brexit so that it is in the best interests of the greatest number of people? Reality is far more complex than a simple in/out decision.

Fortunately our version of democracy does not rely on simple majority results of referenda for everything, we elect representatives to debate and make decisions for us.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • pioneer22
    pioneer22 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't you Brexiters want the UK to be sovereign.

There you go, she's done it for you Teresa May doesn't have a mandate.
  • zarf2007
    edited 14 March 2017 at 12:51PM
    Options
    redpete wrote: »
    If the vote had gone the other way by a small margin I am certain that there would be continued legal and political pressure to make changes in freedom of movement, the supremacy of the European courts, the amount of money UK pays in, the extent of regulatory constraints, ...

Why should there not be similar pressure to shape Brexit so that it is in the best interests of the greatest number of people? Reality is far more complex than a simple in/out decision.

Fortunately our version of democracy does not rely on simple majority results of referenda for everything, we elect representatives to debate and make decisions for us.

But how can you shape it when one of the fundamental reasons for leaving was to control EU immigration which the EU have stated we cannot do unless we remain in the EU!!

remoaners seem to forget that the EU are about as flexible as an iron rod....look at the treatment cameron received when he tried to gain some concessions before brexit? he was laughed out of the place....this whole mindset of 'you have to be in the EU to change it' is rubbish....they will not change and the only country with any power in that union is Germany.

When politicians talk about 'soft' or 'hard' brexit they are missing the point, why would we do a 'Norway', i.e. the worst of all worlds, no say at all in EU policy but have to tow the line on everything bad about the EU.
  • Asghar
    Asghar Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why does no one in the news or general media query and make more fuss of the people who are backing her, she it not doing this on her own.

I remember when this first started there was mention of a Spanish company with interests in the UK who was backing her, no mention of it now. There must be others from the EU backing her who have an interest in the UK staying.
    She can't be using her own money for the court cases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure