Paid over the odds for your energy? MPs are interested in hearing your experiences

edited 17 March 2017 at 2:37PM in Energy
35 replies 5.6K views

Replies

• Former_MSE_AndreaFormer_MSE_Andrea Former MSE
    9.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you to everyone who fed into the Parliamentary debate. If you didn't get to watch it you can watch on the Parliament website.

Also read our news story:

Energy firms accused of treating customers like 'chumps' as MPs argue for price cap
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: [email protected]
  • edited 17 March 2017 at 5:10PM
    phillwphillw Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 March 2017 at 5:10PM
    robin58 wrote: »
    My whole point is why must I have to swop away from a supplier I like just to get a reduction in my bill.

What do you really like about your supplier?

It's likely it costs them more money to do that, so they have to charge more. Offering good deals to new customers is just a way of trying to lure people in. They hope the new customers stay after the price has been jacked the price up, because they really like their supplier.

Money has no emotions, go where it's cheapest. If you don't want to do that, then that is why you must pay more.
    Andy_WSM wrote: »
    What we need is a nationalised, not for profit, provider. One without greedy directors and fat cats creaming the profits off - but under a Tory Government that's never going to happen for various reasons - not least of all that a Tory Government are friends of the corporates, not the plebs that vote for them.

Nationalised utilities didn't work out that well under Labour either. More money was creamed off & they had a monopoly.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Switching gas and electricity is not as hassle free as switching car insurance. Switching is bandied about as a panacea when it is just a CheckaTrade rip off scam for middlemen to make commission.

The idea of getting the best deal using a comparison service only works if there is an authority that holds all the licensed operators to account for their quality levels. If an airline doesn't maintain their planes to the correct standard, they are refused permission to fly.

If NPower is consistently low on customer service, close it down.

Ofgem seems to operate on the wishful thinking principle that a really bad supplier will just go bankrupt all by itself, because it's too rude to withdraw the license.
  • bxboardsbxboards Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    teddysmum wrote: »
    But the big power companies are foreign owned, so not the same as UK owned companies which could well be run by cronies.

I tend to think with the benefit of hindsight, that privatization of services like power companies and rail companies has been an absolute disaster, as a large majority of what used to be part of our national infrastructure has now been sold off, and in many cases are now foreign owned.
  • edited 18 March 2017 at 1:38PM
    pugsley29pugsley29 Forumite
    705 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 18 March 2017 at 1:38PM
    Prepay switching shouldn't be more difficult than main meter switching, only the cost of the key itself (although these can be reprogrammed anyway at some shops) and postage.

Until prepay get great deals like others it will be the most vulnerable that are paying the most.

Will wait and see if my bills go down due to the new changes, I would rather be able to switch easier.

Have seen some switches targeting prepay if you agree with having a smart meter, I'm opting out of smart meters for now and probably they will have to take me to court to get one installed, this has happened in the USA with forced entry etc.
    Wishing you a lucky 2021:beer:
  • edited 21 March 2017 at 3:50PM
    reduxredux Forumite
    22.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 March 2017 at 3:50PM
    robin58 wrote: »
    My whole point is why must I have to swop away from a supplier I like just to get a reduction in my bill.

Why can't I be offered the best competitive deal for my consumption from the supplier I'm already with.

That's what is wrong with the system nowdays.

There are some providers who do behave ok, with a series of competitive tariffs.

This house hasn't changed supplier for over 10 years, and it has always been within £5 a year of the cheapest available, except when it was on a long fix about £100 cheaper than anything else. More recently, from about 3 to 1 years ago, I swapped tariff 4 or 5 times a year as prices were falling until about June last year.

Compare that to some of the other large companies whose main marketing seems to be promotional offers on group negotiated deals such as MSE occasionally organises, but then the rest of the time they don't have anything else competitive within £150, so those customers won't see any point in switching mid term during periods of falling prices.

So it may be sacrilege to say it around here, but for some customers exclusive group tariffs might contribute towards a problem.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Energy firms accused of treating customers like 'chumps'

Aided and abetted by the not fit for purpose regulator.
  • As others have noted part of the reason for the price increases is Government meddling in the free market in the first place. This has added to bills through various subsidies for green initiatives that the majority pay for to benefit the few. Others have mentioned "not for profit" providers, some of these have significantly higher prices than other alternative companies because they fund various social initiatives and there is one price for all. The only answer currently is to keep monitoring the market and switching, in my experience a competitive supplier one year will not always be so the next, just like car and home insurance and other services. Another recent development is the significant difference in standing charges but similarly priced units. This can make a big difference over the year. 50p a day is £182 a year and there are some suppliers that charge close to this.
  • millermiller Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Could knock off 5% VAT which would actually be effective at reducing prices (albeit as a one-off).

Probably wont happen while there is £2bn still to find from the other week. Or ever.
  • Hoopie1Hoopie1 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of political grandstanding, why doesn't the government choose between:
    1) A competitive market, where price gaps between customers/suppliers will necessarily exist (otherwise there is no reason for anyone to switch); OR:
    2) Regulated prices, where you don't think a competitive market works.

Instead you have had politicians attempting to ride both horses, and then complaining about the results. Choose one or the other and move on.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides