IVA Equity Release and Getting Divorced so not in Property

Options
Hello all

I'm currently in the last year of IVA and have received notification to get relevant things in order to assess options for equity release.

The house I own with my soon to be Ex Wife, she lives in the mortgaged property with our children. I have been moved out 4 years and I am currently still paying the mortgage.

What are the options? Obviously to satisfy the request for IVA the house should be valued, and identify if any equity and then I apply for a mortgage to release equity. I don't however wish to apply for another joint mortgage or a single one on the property as I don't live there. I also suspect my ex would be completely unwilling to apply for a joint mortgage anyway. Should i just contact IVA company, or proceed apply for Single Mortgage which will get declined and go from there.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Eittolder and welcome to MSE,

Unfortunately, it won't make any difference that you no longer live in the property and you will have to ensure that you satisfy the terms of the IVA with regard to the equity release.

You will be expected to apply for a secured loan or a re-mortgage to satisfy this clause of the IVA and whilst it is very difficult for most people to do either in this situation, you will need to make sure you have done all you need to. If you cannot find a suitable loan/ mortgage the IVA will simply be extended (as it is for most people). But the IVA provider must be happy that you have fulfilled this clause appropriate, otherwise they could deem the IVA to fail and that puts you at risk of bankruptcy (and the property at risk of being sold if there is equity).

The re-mortgage would only be against your share of the equity if it is an IVA in your sole name. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure