Comments

• emmalambshank
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I thought there must be some sort of basic tracking for each parcel but my post office said that because I didn't request tracking at that time, it's basically gone into the ether now which confused me

There is no basic tracking.

There is a delivery confirmation which is a barcoded and can be added for free for business users and those using select services such as click and drop.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/royal-mail-how-to-access-delivery-confirmation.pdf

https://parcel.royalmail.com perhaps have a look at click and drop for future parcels.

If you didn't use a barcoded label your only other option was to add a signed for delivery confirmation or use a tracked service such as special delivery.
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,791 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, you need to refund if you can not prove it has been delivered. If you don't you won't get your fees back and you will get a black mark on your account.

In future you might want to try My Hermes. It gives you full tracking so there is no argument over whether it has been delivered or not. They can't break it if it is clothing. I personally wouldn't trust anything worth under £10 with Royal Mail.

Don't forget to block them so you do not have to deal with them again.
  • mrcol1000
    Options
    Also the only proof Ebay will accept of delivery is online tracking. You could show them a photo of them wearing the piece of clothing and they will still find in the buyers favour.
  • emmalambshank
    Options
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    As above, you need to refund if you can not prove it has been delivered. If you don't you won't get your fees back and you will get a black mark on your account.

In future you might want to try My Hermes. It gives you full tracking so there is no argument over whether it has been delivered or not. They can't break it if it is clothing. I personally wouldn't trust anything worth under £10 with Royal Mail.

Don't forget to block them so you do not have to deal with them again.

Ah I see, also just read your other message.

Yeah I'll look into My Hermes, I guess I never think about the other options.

Yeah just issued the refund, I was worried about the black mark bit and didn't realise about the fees bit, thanks
  • emmalambshank
    Options
    There is no basic tracking.

There is a delivery confirmation which is a barcoded and can be added for free for business users and those using select services such as click and drop.

http://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/royal-mail-how-to-access-delivery-confirmation.pdf

https://parcel.royalmail.com perhaps have a look at click and drop for future parcels.

If you didn't use a barcoded label your only other option was to add a signed for delivery confirmation or use a tracked service such as special delivery.

Ah right, yeah definitely something else to consider as an option for future ones, thank you :)
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    You don't get a black mark for refunding, you would get the black mark if you didn't.

Claim back from RM for this loss and either look at barcoded RM deliveries or a carrier such as mrcol suggests. Prices start for much the same as a RM parcel with Hermes if you use their parcel drop service.
  • purple321
    purple321 Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How?

Unless it had any barcode or delivery confirmation QR code on, it won't be traceable.

Why do you think it has been delivered? If you do believe it's been delivered then you shouldn't be claiming from RM that it is lost.

You have no choice but to refund the buyer if you have no delivery confirmation.

I disagree with this bit. If the buyer is making fraudulent claims then Royal Mail need to know about it to do anything about it! They will soon realise somethings up if the buyer does this often, or indeed find a postman stealing mail. The only Royal Mail claim i've put in recently was for a buyer who'd left loads of negs for undelivered items and surprisingly RM paid out really quickly which I think suggested that they were either well aware that the homeowner either had a genuine problem receiving post, was on the rob or they had a rogue postman. Or maybe they were just being really efficient lol.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    purple321 wrote: »
    I disagree with this bit. If the buyer is making fraudulent claims then Royal Mail need to know about it to do anything about it! They will soon realise somethings up if the buyer does this often, or indeed find a postman stealing mail. The only Royal Mail claim i've put in recently was for a buyer who'd left loads of negs for undelivered items and surprisingly RM paid out really quickly which I think suggested that they were either well aware that the homeowner either had a genuine problem receiving post, was on the rob or they had a rogue postman. Or maybe they were just being really efficient lol.

I said that you shouldn't claim if you believe it's been delivered and isn't lost.

If you believe there is fraud involved, then you need to report it accordingly.
  • mrcol1000
    Options
    purple321 wrote: »
    I disagree with this bit. If the buyer is making fraudulent claims then Royal Mail need to know about it to do anything about it! They will soon realise somethings up if the buyer does this often, or indeed find a postman stealing mail.

Agree with this. It is not up to the OP to investigate whether it was delivered or not. If the buyer is telling them it has not turned up, then the buyer needs to act accordingly. The OP has no proof it was delivered and the buyer is lying. It could be a honest case of mail getting lost. If it isn't then it is up to Royal Mail to investigate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure