PPI help please :)

Options
Hi, I am new to this so all help appreciated!

I have written to Clydesdale bank to ask if I had any ppi with them in the past. I have received a letter from them listing my accounts and against some of them it says "unable to determine" .

Any idea what I do to? 😊

Comments

• Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    Clydesdale Bank were fined some time ago by the FCA for essentially not looking hard enough when considering PPI claims, so you'd hope by now they'd have upped their game (I'm not suggesting they haven't looked hard enough here).

If it says "unable to determine" then that probably means the account is so old they don't have any records for it. This means they'll assume there was no PPI unless you can provide something which shows otherwise - for example some old paperwork which shows PPI coming off a credit card, or being added to a loan or whatever.

Do you have anything like that?
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agricolae wrote: »

If it says "unable to determine" then that probably means the account is so old they don't have any records for it. This means they'll assume there was no PPI unless you can provide something which shows otherwise - for example some old paperwork which shows PPI coming off a credit card, or being added to a loan or whatever.

Do you have anything like that?

Which is logical, they couldn't refund if they have no evidence a policy existed

OP can either go with what they were told or risk £10 on a DSAR and see if they dig out any old stuff from the archives

Incidentally Clydesdale were fined for hiding records / presenting false information to the FOS, not that they weren't "looking hard enough" - they WERE looking hard enough, what they did was alter printouts sending to customers to suggest they had no data and that was May 2012-June 2013. Extremely unlikely there would have continued doing it given how much they were fined

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/clydesdale-bank-fined-%C2%A320678300-serious-failings-ppi-complaint-handling
  • starryeyes9
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Will have a look and see if there are any old paperwork that shows anything. ��
  • Agricolae
    Agricolae Posts: 380 Forumite
    Options
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Which is logical, they couldn't refund if they have no evidence a policy existed

OP can either go with what they were told or risk £10 on a DSAR and see if they dig out any old stuff from the archives

Incidentally Clydesdale were fined for hiding records / presenting false information to the FOS, not that they weren't "looking hard enough" - they WERE looking hard enough, what they did was alter printouts sending to customers to suggest they had no data and that was May 2012-June 2013. Extremely unlikely there would have continued doing it given how much they were fined

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-releases/clydesdale-bank-fined-%C2%A320678300-serious-failings-ppi-complaint-handling

Indeed, I've read the FCA notice. Misleading the FOS was one of the other things they were doing. What I was referring to was that, while investigating people's mis-selling claims, Clydesdale would not look for documents which went back x number of years, even though they might have existed:
    Clydesdale implemented an inappropriate policy which meant that its
    complaint handlers would not search for any documents relating to PPI
    complaints about loans and mortgages which had been repaid more than
    seven years prior to the date of the complaint, on the basis that the
    documents fell outside Clydesdale’s seven year document retention period.
    This was despite the fact that, in a small percentage of cases, relevant
    documents had not in fact been destroyed and were still readily available
    on Clydesdale’s electronic systems.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    Agricolae wrote: »
    Indeed, I've read the FCA notice. Misleading the FOS was one of the other things they were doing. What I was referring to was that, while investigating people's mis-selling claims, Clydesdale would not look for documents which went back x number of years, even though they might have existed:

MSE said
    Complaints handlers would not search for documents about loans, mortgages and credit cards which had been repaid more than seven years before the date of the complaint. However in a small number of cases, these documents had not been destroyed and were still available

More of a DPA issue in not destroying documents more than 6 years after the account was closed. More fool them for not following the proper policy and being caught out. Could easily have legitimately rejected complaints if they had correctly destroyed data!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think it unfair to the OP to use his thread for discussion of Clydesdale's complaint mishandling five years ago. It's irrelevant to the current position and so off-topic.

If you guys want to continue discussing it, please start a separate thread.
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    It's an explanation of why they might not have any documentation left (or whether they are lying about it) - quite possible after they realised they weren't destroying data but claiming they were they would have started (thus meaning no records left) or that they wrongly told the OP there was nothing left (hence why they were fined)
  • gjp60
    gjp60 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I want to claim significant ppi and £ 1200 of useless insurance. Sadly HFC Bank no longer exist. Is that a dead issue then
  • Nasqueron
    Options
    gjp60 wrote: »
    I want to claim significant ppi and £ 1200 of useless insurance. Sadly HFC Bank no longer exist. Is that a dead issue then

You don't claim anything, nor is the amount guaranteed (if it was £1200 worth of PPI payments and they agreed you were miss-sold you'd get interest as well).

You complain to the bank giving your reasons for miss-selling. HSBC deal with HFC

See below

http://www.hfcbank.co.uk/html/payment_insurance.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family