Inheritance, windfall and IVA.

Options
X has an IVA. Parent recently died leaving a part of a house to them.( one third of half the house ... 1/6th ) Other parent still alive and owns the other half until their death. Does X have to declare this to their IP now.? Will says they cannot sell it unless the Parent still alive agrees.

Comments

• DorisTrousers
    Options
    Whilst I would normally say that honesty is the best policy, without scrutiny of the bequeath I would recommend caution.

The exact same thing happened to me when my mum died, she left her half of the house to 4 kids. However, the bequeath was invalid as it automatically passed to my dad, despite my mums request.

It may count as an asset, but do not automatically assume so. if it does, then the I.P. has to be informed.
  • Birdcage
    Options
    It will be declared they just need to know if it counts as a windfall now , or when their other Parent dies.
    their 1/6 of the house is held in trust until the second death. They cannot sell it ( stated in the will) so cannot realise any money to pay into the IVA So are wondering if it is actually a windfall that needs to be declared now.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I would not class this as a windfall, as it cannot realistically be realized yet.

"Your IVA may contain a windfall clause. A windfall is money unexpectedly received during the period of an IVA. For example, winning the lottery, an inheritance or large bonus payment. If your IVA has a windfall clause, you will have to pay the money into your IVA.

If you don’t tell your IP about your change in financial circumstances you could be breaking the law".

They class a windfall as money, not property, to be safe i would tell them, but all the person still in occupation has to do is refuse to sell, so then you would be covered.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,645 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you are the executor you should take professional advice. Get this wrong and you can end up personally responsible for any financial fall out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure