Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I think it usually takes 3-5 working days x
    *Counts on fingers* 31st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th. 9th... no more fingers. Definitely time to phone.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    No reply from the email yet but I suppose they may be a bit busy as it's Black Friday.

I haven't got my wits together enough to ring about the refund from the supermarket (not good at phoning people), and the spray paint is on my list if I get as far as going into town.

I've been up since early (for me) as we did a family breakfast for DS and the only way we could all get there was to have it at 7. Nice to keep up a tradition though.

Once everyone had gone, I got three loads of laundry washed and on the line, though it may not dry till about March despite the beautiful weather. There was quite a frost overnight. I'm about to put some in the dryer (not MS) so it's in order for tonight.

I was going to declutter today but as ever, everything else has taken priority. There's another coat of paint on the Christmas present project - I may just swap the unwanted gold spray paint for white if they'll allow it, and do a top coat of white spray as I'm struggling to get a good finish. Looking for a small brush for this lead me firstly to a big tin of white gloss with the lid insecurely on and a paint brush partly submerged! I've thrown the brush out but the underlying gloss may be okay - there's about a couple of litres in there. Then of course I had a painty hand and could I find the white spirit? It eventually showed up in a far corner of the shed, meaning I had some rearranging to do to get there. Finding the right brush also lead to DS's old games console ('I was looking for that!'), and finding the white gloss has led to cleaning off the back door which has needed a coat of paint for a while. Having scrubbed it down I can see a spot of filler is needed so I'm adding that to the W!lkos list.

Next jobs are birthday cake and drying some bedclothes. Still haven't spent any money today but am tempted by a good offer on dishwasher tablets (Gr0upon, in case you want to jump in there - I may not get that far).

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a busy day Cherry! x

Have a lovely weekend x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Thank you Wannabe, you too! :) Is it tomorrow the kids are back?

I've managed to stay away from the High Street but bought the dishwasher tablets which I suppose officially messes up my housekeeping spends. I think I need a contingency fund for things like this as there are good discounts sometimes and we do run the dishwasher at least once a day. As it is, the money will just have to be from general funds, which eventually means out of mortgage repayment. The mortgage still gets its money but less overpayment.

This evening we had a family meal out for DS's birthday - not everyone could come but we still had a lovely evening. DH paid and we have given a gentle warning to the next generation that once we start saving for spending money for our holiday, they can buy their own meals. To be fair, DS was going to pay their share but I stopped him. We came back here for cake and a natter but now I'm yawning and have work in the morning.

I heard back from the clothes shop too: not enormously helpful as they have suggested I speak to the manager of the store. Normally that's a problem as it isn't local but as it happens I may be back there this coming week to buy more Christmas stuff.

No progress made on CC unravelling but I'm too tired to get my head round it and I need to be fit for work.

Spends:
    £20.99 + £1.99 P&P = £22.98
    MS stuff:
    Homemade birthday cake :)
    No pudding as we were all far too full!
    Rescued various paints and brushes from the Shed of Doom - though last night's frost may already have done for some of them.

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Birthday breakfasts are great aren't they? Makes the whole day extra special somehow.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Birthday breakfasts are great aren't they? Makes the whole day extra special somehow.

I love birthday breakfasts - and Christmas breakfasts. :heart:

Well the late nights and early mornings are taking their toll: all three of them. :D I was okay with work but fell asleep when I got home! Actually work was quite nice: we went to a Christmas fair where I bought some baking apples and a raffle ticket in aid of a good cause, and won a prize! I must admit I immediately began to think who might want my prize, being convinced it was a teddy, and I have enough teddies. It was a rag doll instead, and I immediately fell for her, possibly because she is already named with a name that means a lot to me. Then I discovered she is carrying a baby doll in a sling, so there's no way I can pass her on now, is there? :rotfl:

So I spent £2 while at work.

Dh and I went to the shops (he paid apart from 1p which I found to make the change right). We got a sample tile to help us work out what we want in the kitchen, and some groceries.

Other than that, I returned the tin of spray paint and got a refund, but as I also bought wood filler and shoe polish, I'm only better off by 40p.

Back at home, I've put the wood filler in a door frame and once it's dried I'll repaint. I've also done more on the Christmas present... can only work on it when safe from being visited by the people I'm making it for, but I am enjoying myself. I have a similar project lined up for myself after Christmas - a bit of a freebie as I already have paint, brushes etc.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £2.01
    Household £3.50 and refund of £3.95 i.e. 45p spent.
    Donation £1

I completely forgot about chasing up the Mr T refund, and the clothes one will have to wait till Tuesday, so 1 out of 3 so far.

MS stuff:
    Refund
    Filler in door will help reduce drafts a tiny bit and make the door last longer. :)

• WannabeFree
    Options
    Sounds like a busy day! Well done on the win x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 27 November 2017 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Nothing spent yesterday (26th).

This isn't a day off but I'm going to have a to-do list to make sure I get things done.
    • make banana bread done
    • start laundry done
    • collect DS's prescription
    • buy pond weed for goldfish
    • buy hairspray and/or mousse
    • more paint on Christmas present project
    • ironing
    • resolve a few more items on CC list
    • piano practice done
    • tidy kitchen done
    • quick clean bathroom
    • tidy lounge done

It's turned to rain so I'd better crack on with indoor jobs.

... and that's it for today - off to work, hoping to be able to collect the prescription on the way

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    You sound very clever at your crafty projects Cherry, it sounds like fun:).

It is a good idea to have a fund for discounted items like dishwasher tabs that you have to buy anyway.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Hello everyone, sorry to have been AWOL for a couple of days. Between work, shopping, painting the Christmas present project and having a cold I haven't the brain power to go through my receipts.

The present is nearly finished and a few more presents are bought. I did go back to the shop to query the price of the clothing but it turned out to be right, so no refund there. The similar ones are £8.99 but this particular top is £17.99! Ah well. I kept it anyway as I like it so much. :D

It's been snowing on and off all day here but I can hear drips outside now so the temperature must be rising. I have just checked my fitbit readout and found I didn't get to sleep till nearly 3 this morning so that's why I'm feeling a bit rubbishy. I hadn't realised I was so late!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure