Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 3 August 2017 at 12:14AM
    Options
    I've been trying to find the Usborne recipe on line parsnip, but no luck. However, one of the recipes I've looked at uses beetroot and I agree, it's great in brownies.

The search has been on today and I found a very straightforward recipe that makes something delicious under the name of 'brownie' but entirely fails to be gooey. Never mind, it may have to be that! I am probably let off the hook as the person with diabetes is now unlikely to be around for that cookery session so I don't need to do the horrible calculations to substitute artificial sweeteners for sugar and substitute bulking ingredients for the weight deficit. (I did find a way to halve the calories per portion... slicing the rather large recommended-sized pieces in two!) The dietetics advice was not to go for the scrummy sounding sugar-free version with sweet potato and banana because the carbs are quite high and the body will convert them to sugar regardless of my best intentions.

Some money spent today: not too drastic on my part though I bumped into DS in the supermarket and as he's permanently broke, bought his shopping for him. (He didn't ask, I told him that's what I was doing and made sure our stuff was all mixed up on the conveyer so he couldn't easily stop me :D).

Our overnight guest took me and DFiL out for coffee and insisted on paying, so that was a freebie. :)

I've done the brownie baking as I mentioned, and have bought mustard and cherries for scones (mustard for cheese scones and cherries for cherry scones, in case you were wondering). They also had doughnut peaches down to 26p a punnet and half price pastries for DH's lunches.

Work again tomorrow afternoon so I had best get to bed soon.
    Spends:
    Toiletries £1.00
    Housekeeping £14.15.
    MS stuff:
    Been treated to coffee.
    Bargain peaches and pastries.
    The practice brownies will feed DS for a while.
    Confession time:
    I finally opened the electric toothbrush I bought about 6 weeks ago, only to discover I have to buy an adaptor for it.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I admire your running, its not something ive been able to do. i cycle and walk a lot but im obviously not that fit as every time i try to run, i end up walking most of the way - must try harder.

Thank you for reading Arthur's Rose! I've only become a runner fairly recently: all I knew about running previously was that I can't do it! My breathing would be painful within minutes, I pulled a muscle once when trying to go jogging and in every race at school, I was not only last but spectacularly and embarrassingly last. I took it up for Lent using the C25K app, as I'd worked out that people who run do not remain fat and I needed to get into a lovely dress for my son's wedding. I thought the running was for 6 weeks: that was back in March. To my enormous surprise my body has responded to the training from the app and I've got fitter, slimmer etc. Mostly, it just makes me happy. :) I think in the past I've pushed myself too far and fast and not had a warm-up walk to start each session, and that's why I failed.

I saw that you cycle - I wish I could. I never learned as a child and bought a bike a few years ago with the aim of learning. However, I fall off if I try to turn, so it's on hold till I work that one out... I've even Googled for lessons for adults but couldn't find anything. It would be very freeing to be able to hop on a bike and get somewhere quickly!

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    Essentially an NSD today though I bought chocolate for the cooking at work which in the end I didn't do as we were short of staff. Ah well. I'm supposed to be doing some more soon so the chocolate will stay in the wings and when (if) it gets used, I'll claim for it.

I also went for a run which didn't work out too well: maybe I was out of practice and probably too hot. Anyway I managed half an hour then went home. I'll try again in a couple of days and keep at it till it's easy. :)

Must go as CC payment is due out today and I have 20 minutes!

Oh, and I picked up a couple of shifts which is useful as the fitness tracker I borrowed has broken and there is one for sale locally for the price of those shifts give or take a little. :) I have offered to get my friend's one repaired under warranty or replace it with a new one but I need to get the paperwork off him.

Must go, catch up tomorrow.

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wow, I thought you had been running for years. What amazing progress since lent. I have thought about trying again but I've really struggled with the heat this year. Perhaps nows its cooling I should try again.

Well done on picking up the extra shifts.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    I agree parsnip, it's often been too warm to run. I had a day off from running today but hope to go again tomorrow.

An NSD today. Not sure what's wrong with me: I have spent very little for several days! I did get my CC payments up to date but hadn't realised the obvious: paying it off late at night means the payments go through on a different day. Glad I still have 0%, but I need to get my act together. I paid off more efficiently at first then I got lazy. Perhaps if I make it a Friday job I will keep on top of it better.

I also had a look at the account my wages go into and there is enough in there now to investigate an offset mortgage. I don't know when I'm going to have time & mental alertness to research it but if I keep that money aside and invest any surplus in the mortgage, I just need to be answerable for doing the research: it's up to me how soon I do it. Oh, and I remembered the other day that I still haven't run the pensions department about AVCs, which is a daft as it would pay dividends in the long term. And another thing... aside from turning off the electrical heating at Mum's old house, I haven't done anything to lessen the bills there. I really need to get the numbers crunched and switch utilities providers.

• Arthurs_Rose
    Options
    Ha that makes me feel a lot better. I started cycling to save the cost of buses when i didn't have a car, saved a fortune and got a lot fitter (16 miles each way to work), then someone decided they needed my bike more than me and lifted it from my back garden and ive not been able to afford to replace it yet. So walking it is for now.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Such a shame about your bike Arthur's Rose. It may be worth keeping an eye out for a second hand one... our local auction often has them, and apparently the police sometimes sell off unclaimed ones that they've recovered.

As for me - very short of sleep and full of anti-histamine so I am off to bed soon. No grocery spending today, but £1 on an ebook and a huge £124.04 (I know, strange number) on a new F!tbit, which I'm hoping will arrive mid week. DH and I had a talk and decided it's been so good for my health that I needed another one.

I've notified the manufacturer about the broken one as I think it's still under warranty, and received a reply asking for more details, which might be MS or not, depending how it progresses.

• Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    From what I've seen F1tbit are really good at replacing/fixing problems. So fingers crossed!

I'd love one! I just can't justify the cost x
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fitbit have always been helpful, I've had different models over the years. They even replaced the one I broke the cover on, even though I had only rung to ask if they sold replacement covers.

I am impressed with your bargains, especially the doughnut peaches and the flowers. As long as the fruit gets eaten then it makes sense to buy it.
  • VelvetFreak
    Options
    Hi Cherry! Just thought I'd pop by to say hello :)
    Glad to see you are well.

Wish I could get into some kind of exercise, whether it be walking, running, or gym. I'm not the best at keeping those sorts of habits. Any tips for getting started? Other than simply "get off your butt and do it":o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback