£125 Electricity bill pcm. Small 2 bed house 1 person :(

edited 27 February 2017 at 2:21PM in Energy
59 replies 4.6K views

Replies

• Dannii75Dannii75 Forumite
    105 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi there Molerat, it's definitely the 'normal' register. Just boiled the kettle.
  • edited 27 February 2017 at 7:06PM
    CashStrappedCashStrapped Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017 at 7:06PM
    Interesting. Going from your usage on post 12 (good records by the way!) which I am assuming are based on actual readings:

We have established that we think the energy company is swapping the readings incorrectly. If this proves to be the case, you could be due a very nice bill redress.

It is very good that you have provided so many meter readings as this will only help you prove it.

Looking at the readings in their proper rates you have (taking readings from feb 16 to feb 17).

7544 kwh Night
    1438 kwh Day

If this is the case, and your readings are accurate. You actually have (once it is sorted) a fantastic night use percentage.

Total use (night plus day) = 8982 kwh

To get the night use percentage we divide. 7544/8982 = 83.9

So your night use percentage is (if the figures are accurate) 84%.

That is a fantastic night rate. Your overall use is not that bad for an E7 property either.

You need to get on the blower and get First Utility to re-address your bill asap.

Based on FU standard E7 tariff.

The difference between getting the meter readings allocated incorrectly is around £500 for the annual usage I calculated above!

Comparing the cheapest tariffs, the difference was around £380!

So getting them the wrong way round is costing you a fortune.

The cheapest tariff I found for your use (correctly allocated) and 84% night use is £685.

I would compare tariffs for your area with the information above and see what result you get compared to your current tariff. You could be in for a shock! A good one though!
    105 Posts
    Hi Cashstrapped!
    Thanks, that would be a great relief! I'm hoping you're correct! The usage in post 12 is from FU, they emailed that to me today. Do you think they've got it wrong?
    Many thanks!
  • edited 27 February 2017 at 7:42PM
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February 2017 at 7:42PM
    As long as the usage figures were derived from meter readings you supplied. The fact you have a monthly (bar November) breakdown suggests it is.

Either way, there certainly seems to be a error in the allocation of the day night meter by FU. If you use the storage heaters, it is very unlikely to have a day use of 84%. It certainly seems like there is a muck up on their end.

You now need to go back and get the earliest meter readings you have with FU. Then using a meter reading today, you need to pretty much recalculate your whole bill for the time you have been with them. So the redress could be more than I mentioned. I was only going back 1 year.

They should do this for you. But I would check it all manually yourself. Or get people on here to help.

Like I said, you need the earliest meter reading with FU to do this. Have you been on the same tariff with them for all the time you have been with them? It gets more complicated if it is spread across multiple tariff changes.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dannii75 wrote: »
    My usage is:
    Jan 2017 1,178 kWh
    Dec 2016 1,307 kWh
    Jan 2016 1,434 kWh
    Dec 2015 1,277 kWh

We're a family of three living in a 3 bed semi with occupancy 24hrs a day and plenty on the go. Don't have electric heating but we do have an electric cooker.

Between the 4th December and 9th February, 68 days, we used a total of 728kWh of electricity. so roughly 350kWh a month. Our annual usage is 3562kWh.
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Dannii75 wrote: »
    Hi Cashstrapped!
    Thanks, that would be a great relief! I'm hoping you're correct! The usage in post 12 is from FU, they emailed that to me today. Do you think they've got it wrong?
    Many thanks!

Refer to your last bill/statement.

It should include meter readings, and hence be clear from that whether you are being billed correctly.
  • I agree with what others have said
    Readings are transposed and you'll be due a redress
    We had the same problem with nPower

Can't find the actual unit rates for the tariff you're on but based on rates similar to my own e7 fix of 6p night, 11p day and 33p daily standing charge, and based on your last 12 months actual usage, it racks up at ca £660 total for the year. That equates to £55 per month

With nPower we went round and round in circles with their customer services and it was only when their executive complaints dept got involved, that the issue was quickly resolved. I would recommend doing the same with FU if you can
  • I think your actual usage for the last 12 months is actually :-
    Night 6399
    Day 1410
    Total 7809

Night % 81.9%
    Day % 18.1%

Should be even cheaper than the £685 stated above therefore based on lower annual usage

We have just switched to Scottish Power online Mar 18 e7 fix @ £129 per month. That's based on ca 19,000 units pa split roughly 75/25 - we use a lot of electric! It's a good deal though based on high % night usage, which is what you have

Whether it's worth your £30 early exit fee and without knowing what deals will be available in 3 months time, is another matter
    105 Posts
    Thanks all, I'll go on a hunt for the first readings, & I'll try to look back to see if there's been a change in tariff too!
    Seems like I've got a bit of super sleuth work to do but it'll be worth it!
    I really appreciate your advice! Thank you!
    I'll let you know how I'm getting on in a couple of days.
  • edited 28 February 2017 at 3:52AM
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2017 at 3:52AM
    I think your actual usage for the last 12 months is actually :-
    Night 6399
    Day 1410
    Total 7809

Night % 81.9%
    Day % 18.1%

Should be even cheaper than the £685 stated above therefore based on lower annual usage

We have just switched to Scottish Power online Mar 18 e7 fix @ £129 per month. That's based on ca 19,000 units pa split roughly 75/25 - we use a lot of electric! It's a good deal though based on high % night usage, which is what you have

Whether it's worth your £30 early exit fee and without knowing what deals will be available in 3 months time, is another matter

I'm afraid I disagree with your calculations there.

When looking at the data I go by the latest date in each set. I assume that the latest date is when each meter reading has been given to produce the information for the last month of use.

So I went from:
    20/02/2017
    - 20/01/2017
    to
    22/02/2016 - 27/01/2016

You calculated:
    20/02/2017 - 20/01/2017
    to
    18/03/2016 - 22/02/2016

The confusion probably arises because all the dates are inverted so everything is backwards. But, you have essentially missed one months set of data. You can confirm this by counting the sets you have included. Your count includes 11, mine includes 12. Not that it matters!

Being 100% accurate is/was not the point of my post. Nor does it matter anyway as that is last years data and should only ever be used as a rough indication.

One months use will usually not affect results much at all unless there was crazy use beyond the norm (and if that was the case it could be excluded from the data as an anomaly). Similarly the difference between 84% and 81% night will make little difference.

There is nothing to say the OP will use a lot more this coming year, or a lot less. Treating usage figures as certainties as to cost is always futile.

So the results from any figures input into any comparison sites will results in annual cost figures that are always rough estimates that enable us to make an educated decision...a best guess.

So even if my calculation was wrong, it would not matter that much.

Thanks for making me double check my workings though. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides