Options

Comments

• MPN
    MPN Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    MonroeM wrote: »

You might struggle on the basis that they are just that, diverse globally oriented. There's nothing wrong with holding two if they have similar holdings either, imho. As long as they're net cost neutral.

Whether it proves advantageous is debatable, highly unlikely if both are similar, other than as a bit of insurance against each other.

The OP did say that Fundsmith and Artemis Global Income are not similar funds so surely they can compliment each other in her portfolio?
  • StellaN
    StellaN Posts: 354 Forumite
    Options
    MPN wrote: »

The OP did say that Fundsmith and Artemis Global Income are not similar funds so surely they can compliment each other in her portfolio?

I am now actually thinking of just keeping Fundsmith and selling both the Newton and Artemis Global Incomes but adding a Global Investment Trust that invests in mainly different shares to Fundsmith - need to do me research into which global trust would compliment Fundsmith maybe a trust that invests primarily in technology?
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    StellaN wrote: »
    ...maybe a trust that invests primarily in technology?

Take a look at SMT as one option but be aware it is relatively high on the risk scale.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Now that it is to enter the FTSE100, SMT is reducing its annual fee from a good 0.45% to a very good 0.3%. This is about as good as it gets for ITs

http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news/scottish-mortgage-to-cut-fee-after-entering-ftse-100/a996917?ref=wealth-manager-investment-trusts-list
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Now that it is to enter the FTSE100, SMT is reducing its annual fee from a good 0.45% to a very good 0.3%. This is about as good as it gets for ITs
    Not quite.

The fee was previously 0.3%. It will now be tiered so it remains 0.3% up to £4bn and drops to 0.25% for the incremental assets under management above that level. So for example, £4billion costs 0.30% but £5 billion will be a blended average of 0.30% on most of it and 0.25% on the top tier, producing 0.29% overall.

The 0.45% was the approximate ongoing charges including the management fee and other running costs of the fund; some of those other costs will be percentage-based and some will be more fixed in nature producing a lower percentage where the costs are spread over more NAV.

It is good to see lower costs but the practical benefits of a management fee going from 0.30% to 0.29% will be pretty negligible in the grand scheme of things if you see the range of gains and losses they make from year to year.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So would the statement in the article be more accurately expressed as:

From 1 April a tiered charging structure will replace the current 0.45% charge, priced at 0.3% on the first £4 billion of assets and falling to 0.25% thereafter plus running costs to produce an OCF of about 0.44%?.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Yeah, could be. But it depends how big they get, as if fund size grows to £6bn instead of £5bn or £4bn then the mgmt fee is only 0.28% and the accounting and audit and website maintenance and printing report costs and legal costs etc etc are not necessarily going to get an extra zero on the end just because the company found its Alibaba shares to be more valuable. So you could get the OCF usefully below its current level.

If it's a trust I follow, I prefer to read the RNS before paying too much attention to the press comment :)

https://www.investegate.co.uk/scot-mort-inv-tst--smt-/rns/scottish-mortgage-to-enter-ftse100/201703011826382890Y
  • StellaN
    Options
    Take a look at SMT as one option but be aware it is relatively high on the risk scale.

Yes, I have been looking at SMT as per my or.original post but I thought I might find a global IT that was tech orientated that possibly was at a better discount because SMT now looks like fashion investing! Also, because of this the price to buy in is v e very high!
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could call SMT a few things but fashion investing is stretching it a bit.

The premium is just above zero and just below the 12 month average.

The current SP now speaks nothing of the future, it could easily double or more in the next five years, it could also halve or more. My money is on the former.

Use the AIC website to filter which investment trusts might be suitable.

This link shows AIC members in the Global category
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • StellaN
    edited 4 March 2017 at 12:58PM
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »

http://citywire.co.uk/wealth-manager/news/scottish-mortgage-to-cut-fee-after-entering-ftse-100/a996917?ref=wealth-manager-investment-trusts-list

I just wander if it's priced quite high at the moment because so many people are investing in SMT? I'm just struggling to find an alternative global IT that compliments Fundsmith as much so in the end I may end up investing in SMT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure