Dan's desperate dash towards solvency

Options

Comments

• worriedDan
    worriedDan Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    In September our income will increase a fair bit due to my wife returning to full time work, plus my annual increment. I am also continuing to do my additional work at evenings/weekends. My parents are paying me back £130 per month based on some money that I loaned them some years ago.
    I have decided to do an updated SOA for September onwards. I have tried to be realistic with out living costs and also the amounts that we need to put aside for emergencies/Christmas etc.

I have decided not to include a figure for entertainment, holidays or unsecured debt payments as I want to see how much is left after essential spending. More comments after SOA !!!8211; see below

Household Information[/b]
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 3690 this is my main income, plus the additional work that I do
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1222
    Benefits................................ 82.8
    Other income............................ 130 This is the money that my parents pay me back from an old loan
    Total monthly income.................... 5124.8

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 507
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 105
    Electricity............................. 40
    Gas..................................... 69
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 33
    Telephone (land line)................... 15
    Mobile phone............................ 40
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 12
    Groceries etc. ......................... 250 This seems to be what we spend on a normal month, including all clearning products and toiletries, plus a few beers and a bottle or two of wine
    Clothing................................ 50 !!!8211; never sure what to put here
    Petrol/diesel........................... 160 !!!8211; This is what we spend during term time. It drops significantly in school hols to around £80 but decided to use the higher figure
    Road tax................................ 5
    Car Insurance........................... 92 !!!8211; this is for 2 cars, plus breakdown insurance. I have 6 points so can!!!8217;t get my any lower just yet!!
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 50 !!!8211; based on 2 MOT!!!8217;s, 2 services and wear and tear repairs, tyres etc
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 75 before/after school provision
    Other child related expenses............ 61 swimming lessons, beavers, martial arts.
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 25 !!!8211; pay £25 for building and contents
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 35
    Other insurance......................... 5
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 100 - this is too much, however I have don!!!8217;t want any Christmas debt, so keeping this at a higher amount until the new year
    Haircuts................................ 10
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 50 !!!8211; our boiler isn!!!8217;t great and I think that we may need some new radiator at some point soon.
    HMRC payment............................ 122 !!!8211; this ends just after Christmas !!!128522; !!!128522;
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1923

Assets

Cash.................................... 15000 !!!8211; wifes money from family !!!8211; please see my earlier posts for more info !!!8211; we can!!!8217;t touch this just yet.
    House value (Gross)..................... 200000 !!!8211; based on other houses in the area
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 8000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 223000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 68000....(507)......1.8
    Total secured & HP debts...... 68000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR not lisitng debts at this stage as I wan't to find out how much is left after essential living costs. Total unsecured stands at around £47K currently.
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........0.........-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 5,124.8
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,923
    Available for debt repayments........... 3,201.8
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 0
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 3,201.8

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 223,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -68,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -0
    Net Assets.............................. 155,000

So it appears that we will have £3201.80 left after we have covered our living costs and saved a little for emergencies/Christmas.

Our minimum debt payments are around £1250 so this reduces that figure to £1951

If we overpay our debts by £750 we will be paying 2K per month. This reduces the !!!8216;surplus!!!8217; to £1201

We certainly don!!!8217;t need £1201 per month for entertainment and holidays. I am thinking of allocating £300 per month for entertainment and £200 for holidays. This leaves £701

So do we save the £701 per month and additional emergency savings, or do we knock it off the debts??

Alternatively I could drop the additional work that I do, however I think that this would be irresponsible of me as it brings in £440 per month. I will be looking to drop this as soon as we are debt free though.
  • remote_control
    Options
    Hi Dan,

Well done on all your hard work so far. Your SOA looks good, I was just wondering about benefits - is that child benefit? Has your income gone over £50k with your extra work? Just thinking you may end up with a bill to pay back if so!
  • worriedDan
    Options
    Hi,

I have not received anything regarding Child benefit. Perhaps I sholud start saving it, just in case they ask for it back!
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Everyone gets child benefit regardless of income, it is child tax credits that are income dependent.

Personally, I would put the extra £700 odd towards paying off your debts. You have lots of wriggle room in your budget, and could you touch the £15k in an absolute emergency? If so, I would be concentrating on becoming debt free.
  • stepuptothepl8
    Options
    Gemsy81 wrote: »
    Everyone gets child benefit regardless of income, it is child tax credits that are income dependent.

Sorry, no. If you or your partner earns over £50K then you have to let hmrc know.
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £18182 to go :o
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#079
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,674 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If you earn over £50k then you will have to pay tax on the child benefit which involves filling in a self assessment form. I think this has been ongoing for a few years now. I think it is when you get to £60k earnings that you end up having to pay it all back.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,674 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would stick to paying £2k per month off the debts and save the remaining £700 for now as you have no emergency savings bar the £15k you say you cannot touch so this is no good as emergency fund. You also may have to fork out for a new boiler/radiator or repay child benefit money. If after a year it has built up and not been used then pay it off the debt.

The only caveat to this is if any of the £47k is on high interest rates it makes sense to get rid of this asap.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you earn over £50k then you will have to pay tax on the child benefit which involves filling in a self assessment form. I think this has been ongoing for a few years now. I think it is when you get to £60k earnings that you end up having to pay it all back.

Yes, if you earn over £60k you will have to pay it back in full.

I saw your post saying they had not contacted you. That is because you need to tell them. The way it works is that even if you lose the benefit, you must stay registered so the lower earner (historically the mother) receives NI credits for the time the children are receiving it (up to 16th birthday or the end of further education) if the claimant is not working.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • worriedDan
    Options
    Hi everyone,

You may have noticed that I haven't posted for a while, I am afraid that all has not been rosy in the world of Dan. I have pondered over whether or not I should post this on here, but I have decided that I will. This forum really kept me going last year so I feel that it's best to be honest and take your comments.

About 5 weeks ago I found out that we had an addition 6K of debt that I wasn't aware of. WIthout going into loads of details, my wife has a CC that had a balance of 2K at the start of our DF journey. This was included in our debts. This was paid off last year.

I knew that my wife had used it for a few 'small' purchases online, but was under the impression that she had been paying these straight off. The early part of this year was chaotic for us with lots of stressful things going on at home/work. without my knowledge my wife was using this card. It started as the odd purchase but progressed. She used it for 2 hen do's that she attended, along with a few others semi expensive purchases, always with the intention of paying it off. I won't go into any more detail as I don't have her consent but it basically means 6K more to clear.

I am not angry or upset with my wife at all, In fact, I feel bad that she felt that she had to keep it from me. I was so stressed and anxious about money last year that was simply too scared to tell me that she was getting into a spiral with it, for fear that it would set me back into depression. I can also now see that the budget that we set up last year was largely led by me ,and was too restrictive and unrealistic.

We have sat and looked at what this means for our debt repayment, and whilst its not ideal it basically going to mean an additional 3 or 4 paydays before we eventually become totally debt free. The card is cut up so it can't happen again.

Sadly this does obviously affect our total amount paid off, however I am not dwelling on that. We know that we can pick ourselves up and get on with it. A year ago this would have broken me.

I expect that a lot of you will be shocked to hear this, particularly as it was me that initially struggled to speak to my wife regarding the debt. I would like to reiterate that I am not angry or upset with her.
  • karencks
    karencks Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Dan, I have just read the whole diary -what a journey you have been on and so many similarities to us.

I am sure you will sort out this hiccup
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport