Can My Boss Come To My Private Home?

Options

Comments

• Placitasgirl
    Options
    There's also the issue of who would insure the work related items whilst they were at your property. And your insurance cover might need to be amended if the home is used for business purposes.

I really don't see how your employer could consider this was a "reasonable" to consider asking you to undertake, and am pretty sure your landlord would be happy to confirm his refusal to permit it in writing.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are we talking about one delivery per week? I doubt many leases would ban this as they normally have this type of clause to stop someone running a business with frequent visitors ie several per day.

The main issue would be if you are required to be in then you would expect to be paid for that time as you are "on call" and not free to do as you wish during those hours.
  • Rosemary7391
    Options
    In the middle of the night? Is that your normal working time and place of work? There must be a reason your boss even considered this!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When my Ex was lodging weekdays across the country, he couldn't take deliveries of stock/equipment during the night either; so the company rented a lockbox at a local garage (similar to the parcel pickup box arrangements you see) and would drop the stock there for him to collect first thing in the morning.

I agree that the OP should assist his boss to find a solution that works for all concerned.

I assume that the OP is something like a maintenance engineer of some kind. He'll go and diagnose problems one day, and then any parts needed will be shipped to him overnight so he's ready to fit them in the morning. Maybe.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Sighmon55
    Options
    I'm a Service Engineer with a company van. At the moment spare parts are collected from the local branch office (approx 30 mins away). New scheme for "home deliveries" being organised by Head Office (apparently it's a cost saving exercise). Management don't want us Engineers going to the branch office.

The delivery scheme would involve two (t-chest sized) plastic crates being delivered/collected on a fortnightly basis. I have a relatively small van and can't really keep them in the back, which would mean having to store the containers inside my accommodation somewhere.

We haven't been "asked" about this - We've just been told it's going to happen.

I don't feel as though I should have to ask the Landlords or my neighbours, I feel it's intruding on my home life and expect business/work matters to be kept separate.

The driveway ends quite abruptly onto a busy main road (and on a sharp bend). There are limited places where these containers could be left - And to leave them would then offer up other issues like who is responsible if they're stolen? Do I want plastic containers left for all to see? What happens if/when delivery driver damages either neighbour's cars or landlord's property when they're on private property??
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Personally - I'd just "tell" them that my home is my home (and rented at that) and I literally don't have any spare space available for them to sub-let off me (which is what it boils down to).

If they were absolutely determined to proceed - I'd probably tell them "It will be off my property totally and down by that main road. It will be at your own risk and subject to no complaints being received from my landlord/neighbours" and put that in writing. Keep a copy of that letter in which you make it plain:
    - it will not be on YOUR property
    - it will not be YOUR responsibility

That might make them think twice. If they are still determined to use someone else's land as free storage space - then on their head be it. They can be the ones dealing with irate land-owner (be that land-owner a private owner of that bit of land or the Council). It's nothing whatsoever to do with you. Just take the attitude "Not my doing - not my problem. Don't put it anywhere near me" and make it very clear - in writing.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,867 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless it has changed recently, at 8.30 each morning our local sorting office car park fills up with British Gas vans while their service engineers collect their spare parts for the day! Can your firm not do something similar?

How long have you worked for this company?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sighmon55 wrote: »
    I'm a Service Engineer with a company van. At the moment spare parts are collected from the local branch office (approx 30 mins away). New scheme for "home deliveries" being organised by Head Office (apparently it's a cost saving exercise). Management don't want us Engineers going to the branch office.

The delivery scheme would involve two (t-chest sized) plastic crates being delivered/collected on a fortnightly basis. I have a relatively small van and can't really keep them in the back, which would mean having to store the containers inside my accommodation somewhere.

We haven't been "asked" about this - We've just been told it's going to happen.

I don't feel as though I should have to ask the Landlords or my neighbours, I feel it's intruding on my home life and expect business/work matters to be kept separate.

The driveway ends quite abruptly onto a busy main road (and on a sharp bend). There are limited places where these containers could be left - And to leave them would then offer up other issues like who is responsible if they're stolen? Do I want plastic containers left for all to see? What happens if/when delivery driver damages either neighbour's cars or landlord's property when they're on private property??

I imagine that this is preparatory to closing the branch offices!

As a compromise, as this is only once a fortnight, could you:
    a) Empty your van of anything valuable and leave it somewhere safe.
    b) They have a key and deliver into the van.
    c) You then take the stuff home and store it. (More on that below.)

The position with damage to a neighbour's car is exactly the same as if you had a delivery from Amazon or Tesco. The idea of delivering the parts to you is reasonable, IMHO. Doing so in the middle of the night is utterly bonkers!

Expecting you to warehouse the parts free of charge is also a problem. I imagine that, if you were paid a bit for doing the storage, you might be more inclined to do so. There must be lots of other engineers in your company. What do they think about this?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    It sounds as if you are going to have to carry right on being insistent that the landlord won't allow it.

It would certainly be most unreasonable for your employer to expect to put out the neighbours to suit themselves and your neighbours would obviously get upset with you if you allowed this.

Check your tenancy agreement. There is probably some sort of clause there about a right to "peaceful enjoyment" or some such in there that would preclude undue noise in the middle of the night. At which point you just turn round to this unreasonable employer and state "point x on my tenancy agreement says xyz and, accordingly, I will be unable to take night-time deliveries - as I would breach my tenancy agreement". Do it in writing and keep a copy of it.

Quiet enjoyment applies to the right of the tenant to live without undue interference from the landlord. It has nothing to do with noise or 3rd parties.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Is the employer expecting the OP to wait up through the night for the delivery, or to have their sleep disturbed by a deliver at 3am? Alternatively, are they planning to install some kind of secure container in the front garden to take the delivered items?
    Either way it doesn't sound as if the system has been thought through very well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure