Can't afford to stay in a relationship

Options

Comments

• Lostformoney
    Options
    They wouldn't be living without a father, their parents just wouldn't be in a relationship anymore, they would still see him of course - I wouldn't cut their relationship with him
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand how you'd be better off seperated, you'd then have all of the child care, two lots of rent and utilities and only a fraction of their dad's income.

It doesn't add up.

2K plus 400 ish PIP is a decent income, it sounds as though it's budgeting that's needed
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Options
    They wouldn't be living without a father, their parents just wouldn't be in a relationship anymore, they would still see him of course - I wouldn't cut their relationship with him

So you'll be a full time parent, as well as trying to manage your disability, and he'll pop in once or twice a week.

Please think about your other options before going down this path. It's not healthy for you or for the children, added to which there is always the possibility that the DWP etc will refuse your single claim.
  • catz1ct
    catz1ct Posts: 828 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would take the advice and post a statement of affairs.
    :rotfl:
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options

What's a statement of affairs? Yes we pay the minimum, other than the car finance and wheelchair & equipment finance (they get taken away if in arrears)

A statement of affairs (SOA) is a full budget, a breakdown of income and outgoings. If you post on the debt free wannabe board here they people there will be able to see if you can cut your outgoings any more, or suggest ways of rejigging things to help. They're really friendly and helpful over there.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Lostformoney
    Options
    It is a good income, the problem lies in our outgoings cannot be reduced any further and we are £600 short each month.

If we split up, CAB worked out I'd get Income support and full tax credits as well as housing benefit. He would be able to afford a property for him and I would be able to support the children with benefits and child maintenance from him.

I don't want to have to do it though which is why I've asked here for ideas on reducing the outgoings. Debts are already reduced to the maximum, rent can't really change unless the council can provide a wheelchair accessible one?

Any other ideas?
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Is £2100 gross or net?

You didn't answer how many children you had?
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    Income Support, tax credits and housing benefit may not cover all of your costs. IS isn't a great deal of money. Housing benefit has a limit on the amount paid I think, so might not pay the full amount of rent.

I'll ask again, do you currently receive child tax credits? If you do, then your income is salary+PIP+CTC+CB.
  • just_trying
    Options
    It's not benefit fraud, we are talking about ending our relationship because we can't afford to be in it. I have four children and we will do anything to stop them being on the street, so long as it falls within the law.
    Is £2100 gross or net?

Think she said 4.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is £2100 gross or net?

I'm almost sure that I read she has four... :think:
    (I'll read back....)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family