Options

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Okay. Common theory on the Ebay boards.
    Person is on benefits (or has another reason for not wanting cash to show in bank accounts) and is selling/trading on Ebay.
    So they churn over their Ebay payments through the Payal account for cards/vouchers they can spend.

So, like I said earlier, I struggle to think of any honest reason why somebody would risk paying almost face value for gift card from a private sale.

Maybe there is the odd exception but it is far more likely to be bought by somebody who has dodgy intentions.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 February 2017 at 5:35PM
    Options
    Person is on benefits (or has another reason for not wanting cash to show in bank accounts) and is selling/trading on Ebay.
    So they churn over their Ebay payments through the Payal account for cards/vouchers they can spend.

To be fair, each time he's mentioned it before he's specifically said why would an honest person be paying £289 for a £300 voucher tied to one retailer...and I wouldn't personally class someone committing benefit fraud & tax evasion as an honest person.

Edit: Bah, too slow again
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I know I received it as a promotion but still £300 is not small amount. I actually had to buy something expensive in order for me to qualify for this promotion.

Yes but you didn't buy the expensive item just so you could get a £300 gift voucher, I am guessing you wanted the item so would have purchased it regardless and as you have proved by selling it you didn't really want the voucher anyway.

I can understand why you are annoyed but unfortunately you tried to break the rules by selling it for cash and got caught out, therefore lost out.
  • iammumtoone
    Options

Thanks for the explanation, I have often seen gift cards sell for the face value or even over :eek: and wondered why like the other poster, you would take that risk?

I assumed in most cases the buyer would do a charge back like in the case of the OP.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options

And another money laundering method is to sell brand new stuff at prices lower than anyone else. They see what they sell and then go out to their local shops and buy it in cash. I had one once where I bought a brand new mobile phone - when it arrived, the seller had left the till receipt (cash payment) in the box showing they'd paid £20 more for it (day after I'd bought it from them) from a high street store. They not only lost £20 on the deal, they'd also paid Ebay and Paypal charges and postage. Only one reason they'd do that - to turn "dirty" cash into legitimate paypal balance. Nothing else would make sense.

The best, though, for more organised criminal gangs is to open a small shop dealing in small value items but selling them far too cheaply to make a profit. Customers pay the price shown, but the owner puts extra cash through the till. Again, turns dirty cash into laundered cash, and also makes the accounts look right, i.e. the books shop the business makes a profit!

Some of these criminals are really smart.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    He isn't worth speaking to. When this initially happened, I got into a heated argument over messages with him and he just laughed it off.

What did he say by message?
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    He isn't worth speaking to. When this initially happened, I got into a heated argument over messages with him and he just laughed it off.

I realise its not much compensation but at least the buyer didn't get anything out of it and his scam failed.
  • mariahussain
    Options
    I think if your proof of purchase had been a personal purchase (face value was paid for the card) then JL might as a good will gesture issued the card again (as you were originally advised).

However once they found out it was a promotional card they didn't first they wouldn't have received face value for it (would have been alot less) and second you had no contract with JL as you didn't even get the card via them. It is clear that you never intended to spend at JL (unlike if it was a personal transaction) and most of the cards got via this promotion will probably never end up being used anyway.

Neff gave me an option to choose from Tesco, John Lewis and another retailer (I can't remember). I actually did have the intention of buying something from John Lewis as I specifically chose them when given the option particularly due to their warranty period. I was supposed to buy an electrical product but ended buying from elsewhere.

I wish I chose Tesco now because I could have used that for everyday purchases like my grocery. As with John Lewis it is more special one off purchases hence the reason for sale as I couldn't find anything I needed.
  • timbstoke
    Options
    Certainly no harm in asking. As I said the legalities are complex to say the least and may well not be on your side. So you are looking for a gesture of goodwill. Keep in mind that JL will not have received anything like £300 for this card so if they were to give you that they would be making a significant loss.

How do you figure that one? JL's cost is exactly the same regardless of how many times they re-issue the card - they've been paid for it and it hasn't yet been redeemed. If anything, they'd probably make an extra couple of quid by imposing a £10 re-issue fee.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    timbstoke wrote: »
    How do you figure that one? JL's cost is exactly the same regardless of how many times they re-issue the card - they've been paid for it and it hasn't yet been redeemed. If anything, they'd probably make an extra couple of quid by imposing a £10 re-issue fee.

The card came from a bulk promotional deal offered by Neff. They will have paid JL far less than the face value of the cards as they would have bought hundreds or possibly thousands of them in one job lot. How much exactly will be confidential but I would be surprised if it was more than two thirds of the face value.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure