John Lewis won't reissue £300 gift card

Options

Comments

• mariahussain
    Options
    Yes I understand this and I should have been more careful when selling on eBay but what I don't understand is if John Lewis hasn't lost out financially and I can provide evidence why can't they just reissue a new one.
  • mariahussain
    Options
    meer53 wrote: »
    Aren't you disputing this with Paypal ?

Yes but apparently they don't cover digital gift cards
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I might be missing something,but if paypal don't give protection to buyer nor seller on gift cards, shouldn't that have also applied to the scammer doing his reversal? Might be something worth looking into?
  • taxiphil
    taxiphil Posts: 1,980 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2017 at 2:16AM
    Options
    Surely John Lewis can't have their cake and eat it by cancelling the balance on the original card and refusing to reissue it. It has to be one or the other!

That sounds to me like an illicit way of making black profit and contrary to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations.

There's nothing in their T&Cs to say they have the right to effectively seize the balance of the card.

I'd write them a pretty stern letter asking them to reconsider their decision on the above basis; use the fact that they've cancelled the original card to support your argument.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I tried selling a £300 gift card on eBay and anyway the guy that brought it tried to scam me. As soon as he brought it and I sent through the details he put a payment reversal through PayPal saying he didn't recognise transaction.

Where did he bring it too? ;)

It's "Bought" not "Brought" they are completely different words with a different meaning!.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 February 2017 at 12:47PM
    Options
    malkie76 wrote: »
    People will commonly pay face value for gift cards (occasionally more). It's a common form of money laundering apparently.

Which in itself is a good reason to steer clear.

It is hard to think of any legitimate reason why somebody would pay close to face value for a gift card from a private seller.

Substantially below face value then perhaps it would have attracted a honest purchaser although even then it would almost certainly have been a breach of the terms and conditions.

Given the vast range of merchandise John Lewis sells most people will need something that could be bought there during the life of the card.

Instead the OP knowingly broke the terms and conditions by selling the card regardless of the fact that the price they were asking would only attract a buyer with criminal intent.

Maybe there are entitled to some recompense from John Lewis but frankly, they barely deserve it.

The only legitimate way of turning such a gift cared into cash is to use it to buy goods then sell them on. Had the OP done that and followed eBay rules then they would have been covered by PayPal's seller protection.

It is now common practice to have strict terms preventing the resale of certain event tickets, Wimbledon for example. If they detect you doing that the ticket will be blocked and the buyer won't get in. Equally the seller certainly won't get a refund or the ticket reissued if they have been scammed by the buyer. That is very much the same thing.
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Which in itself is a good reason to steer clear.

It is hard to think of any legitimate reason why somebody would pay close to face value for a gift card from a private seller.

Substantially below face value then perhaps it would have attracted a honest purchaser although even then it would almost certainly have been a breach of the terms and conditions.

Given the vast range of merchandise John Lewis sells most people will need something that could be bought there during the life of the card.

Instead the OP knowingly broke the terms and conditions by selling the card regardless of the fact that the price they were asking would only attract a buyer with criminal intent.

Maybe there are entitled to some recompense from John Lewis but frankly, they barely deserve it.

The only legitimate way of turning such a gift cared into cash is to use it to buy goods then sell them on. Had the OP done that and followed eBay rules then they would have been covered by PayPal's seller protection.

It is now common practice to have strict terms preventing the resale of certain event tickets, Wimbledon for example. If they detect you doing that the ticket will be blocked and the buyer won't get in. Equally the seller certainly won't get a refund or the ticket reissued if they have been scammed by the buyer. That is very much the same thing.
    not strictly true, can sell them on zeek or a website called card yard will give you cash for them. I sold a debenhams £30 voucher from work to card yard for £25 and the money was with me the next day, so there other ways of turning your gift card into cash, but of course you won't get full value, but then you won't get full value by buying goods to sell on either.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    wesleyad wrote: »
    I might be missing something,but if paypal don't give protection to buyer nor seller on gift cards, shouldn't that have also applied to the scammer doing his reversal? Might be something worth looking into?
    Someone who has paid via Paypal doesn't always need to use their buyer protection In order to reclaim a payment that they say was fraudulent.
    If their paypal account was funded through a credit or debit card then they can simply contact their card issuer and state that they didn't authorise the use of the card and that they don't recognise the transaction .

The card company should then reverse the payment.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you attempted to speak to the buyer?
  • Rainbowgirl84
    Options
    John Lewis is really not the guilty party here. The CS guy may have tried to stop the £289 payment and been perhaps too late.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure