Full pallet Wood Pellet delivery problems

Does anyone else have problems when taking delivery of full pallets of wood pellets?

I constantly have drivers complain about the maneuverability of the pallet given the weight. The load, while usually shrink wrapped well, still shifts around as he tries to get it on the tail lift that it only just fits on and can lean over....

I'm always needing to get on to give them a hand pushing it.

It's getting very annoying and I asked if there is an option to request a truck with a forklift at the back only to be told by one it could be requested at book in, the other said no, they drop it at the kerb and thats it....

Any advice on open/accommodating suppliers would be appreciated.

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    It is up to the driver to handle the pallet NOT you.
    If you climb onto the vehicle to help with an unstable pallet & there is any sort of an accident you will have big problems.
    I would have thought you should be contacting the supplier of your pallet of pellets & pointing out the problem to them ??
    HTH
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,421
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    RickMoney wrote: »
    Any advice on open/accommodating suppliers would be appreciated.

I've not used them for deliveries yet, but... We have an independent builder's merchant that stocks wood pellets - They use Hiab/Grab delivery trucks for larger loads. I would expect that they will still only deliver to the kerbside and won't move the pallet any further than where it was dropped.

Might be worth seeing who else is in your area. The other alternative would be blown bulk deliveries, but only if you have a suitable pellet store.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • It is up to the driver to handle the pallet NOT you.
    If you climb onto the vehicle to help with an unstable pallet & there is any sort of an accident you will have big problems.
    I would have thought you should be contacting the supplier of your pallet of pellets & pointing out the problem to them ??
    HTH

Very true, but when you see them struggling to get the pallet out and you want them to drag it a little up onto the drive, you feel compelled to.

Thanks Freebear, I'll consider that option but I've not seen anyone thus far in the NW that offer that. Would make it much easier if they operated like the Travis Perkins wagons that offload the big bags like that. Blown isnt an option here I'm afraid.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Does the company deliver on their own vehicles , or do they send it via the cheapest method possible? ie a pallet network ...if via a pallet network then it will be a kerbside delivery only .In any case these types of palletised goods are very difficult to deliver they are heavy and cumbersome , and impossible to drag over gravel ...although electric pump trucks make it easier.
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • Yeah network truck. Feel for the guys when it comes to the moving of it as they never give them electric pump trucks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure