Forum Home» Savings & Investments

Anyone heard of Century21? - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Anyone heard of Century21?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
27 replies 7.1K views

Replies

• They are possibly the largest estate agent in France.
  • MalthusianMalthusian Forumite
    8.5K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    coyrls wrote: »
    After your experience, how can you possibly think that?

What law do you think Century21 has broken?

It's pretty obvious that don9999 isn't going to invest his money with them, all he said was that it may be "legal", and it probably is. He didn't say it was a good investment.
  • coyrlscoyrls Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Malthusian wrote: »
    What law do you think Century21 has broken?

It's pretty obvious that don9999 isn't going to invest his money with them, all he said was that it may be "legal", and it probably is. He didn't say it was a good investment.

He said legal/valid. I suppose it depends on your reading of what is meant by valid. I am not saying the Century21IH have broken any law.

Century21IH is not the estate agent it “was founded as a marketing and pro‎motions hub - designed to add and build upon the years of expertise and knowledge of the C21 brand”.
  • don9999don9999 Forumite
    580 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Valid views/comments.... :-)

But I can still say that it 'may' be a valid/legal investment.
    I just don't have the time/inclination to investigate it more thoroughly, to decide one way or the other.

Just because this particular salesman was very pushy, does not necessarily mean it is an illegal (nor even possibly a profitable investment).

An analogy.....Double-glazing is usually a GOOD thing for a house. But....there are often very bad/pushy salesmen, even for good products/companies. A bad salesman does not 'necessaily' mean it is a bad product.

However......when you come across one of these pushy salesmen (whether it be for double-glazing, or financial investments) then it will still certainly turn you against their product.

Rest assured, as Mathulsian quite rightly stated, I have no intention of investing with Century21.
    Yet I'm none the wiser whether they are a 'proper' company (with at least one terrible salesman) or just a bucket shop.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
  • ReaperReaper Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree. I haven't seen anything that makes it a scam, just plenty of things that mean I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft barge pole.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Also Check out the thread : Tyram Lakes Mini Bonds

Thankyou Reaper, barge Poles might be too short without any clarification to gain confidence of who is behind this project perhaps? Maybe it’s not illegal and could well be profitable but perhaps a visit to investigate Tyram Lakes website and take a closer look at the people behind this scheme might help. Warning bells ring when "pushy sales people" cold market you by phone. Has anyone checked with the ICO where the data is coming from?
    To qualify the background claims made by the Directors on the “Meet the Team” under ABOUT US section on the Tyram website. Century21 are possibly marketing agents for Tyram Lakes Mini Bonds and no doubt it could be expected that further Marketing names could be created if adverse publicity surrounds Century 21 or Tyram itself. As always happens with these things.
    Before anyone invests I would perhaps seek a little further qualification on the people involved in this Tyram Mini Bond Scheme and confirm the advertised credible qualifications provided on the Meet the Team page.

1. Are these impressive qualifications published on CV 100% correct and can they be verified in full by all employers showing length of service?
    2. How long did they work on these investment projects in Cyprus, UAE?
    3. Any proof of success in these fields and confirmed directly from their employers in Cyprus/UAE?
    4. How long was the MD educated In Rotterdam and was his BA achieved through a normal term and course of education? Once again confirmed by this University itself not simply a certificate of diploma.
    5. Was the business in Cyprus, investment or was anyone involved with other types of Sales activities? If so what business was it?
    6. Have any of the Directors been involved in any other Sales activity in the UK - i.e. Property, Investment or Leisure related and if so where and for who did they represent?
    7. Have any of the Directors been involved with any criminal activity in the UK or abroad and if so for what reason and/or conviction.

Perhaps a little research and confirmation of the full background of these operators might help you make an informed decision before any investment is considered. Helping investors to make a clear judgement.
  • edited 5 September 2017 at 1:45PM
    jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 September 2017 at 1:45PM
    coyrls wrote: »
    Century21IH is not the estate agent it “was founded as a marketing and pro‎motions hub - designed to add and build upon the years of expertise and knowledge of the C21 brand”.

A quick look on the website shows this claim:

WE ARE PART OF THE WORLD'S LARGEST RESIDENTIAL ESTATE AGENCY ORGANISATION

6,900 OFFICES AND 101,000 AGENTS OPERATING ACROSS 78 COUNTRIES

Can anyone verify if this claim is true? I can't believe C21 would permit use of their name if they are aware - maybe they're not aware if it isn't true although the C21 website does mention franchise opportunities.

For a global multinational estate agency it is definitely very odd that their website is registered to an individual at a private address and not a company. The registrant for http://century21ih.co.uk is

Graham Read
    White Chimneys
    36 Winslow Rd
    Granborough
    Bucks
    MK18 3NJ
    United Kingdom

Also a very important caveat on their site:

Is C21 IH authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)?

As C21IH fulfils a marketing and promotions function, C21 IH is NOT a financial services firm and therefore, is not authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Are they permitted to market bonds when they're not authorised?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • That outcome was so obvious lol
  • LHW99LHW99 Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last I heard of "Century 21" it was associated with Thunderbirds, Stingray ..... in the 1960's I think :rotfl:
  • edited 5 June at 3:47PM
    RoyalflushRoyalflush Forumite
    1 posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 5 June at 3:47PM
    Did anyone else invest in Sesco, Century 21 and subsequently Rothgen? (Tyram Lakes project) I’m looking to find other people who like myself are struggling to to get their investments returned after 3 years.