Student Council Tax Rebate

Hi All

I understand as a home owning student nowadays that you can get 25% council tax discount (certain terms and conditions apply etc.) but does anyone know if you can claim back any discount if you have finished studying?

I sat a 5 year degree course back in 2007 and potentially could be ~£1800 better off if this was the case.

Probably clutching at straws, but worth an ask!

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    What?

Students are exempt from Council Tax.

There is a 25% single person discount.

You seem to be mixing things up. If you were a student in 2007 you should not have been paying council tax. But it was up to you to inform the council that you were a full time student and therefore exempt.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 February 2017 at 6:28PM
    As I understood it - it depends if you lived alone. If there was a adult non-student in the house you would get the 25% discount. If just you - or all occupants were students - then you shouldn't have paid any CT.
    Best speak to the council in question I guess.
  • Thanks for the replies.

I should clarify that I was living with my wife when I completed my course, and now she is completing her course. If I understand correctly then, we may be able to claim the discount whilst my wife is still studying.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If there is only one eligible person in the household then a 25% discount applies, full time students are exempt, so from what you describe you can apply for the discount. Whether your wife can apply for it as far back as 2007 is something I don't know the answer to. I would speak to your council and ask them, if they say yes then all is fine, if they say no then post their response on the Cutting Tax board where there is considerable expertise on Council Tax (it's sometimes seen here too, but you'll get an answer more quickly there).
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There are 2 adults on the household. Only 1 is required to pay council tax. As only 1 person is required then a 25% single person's discount is applicable.

As in 2007 there was only 1 person required to pay council tax (assuming you were a FT student and exempt and it was only yourself and your wife), then the 25% would have applied here as well. However it was up to you to inform the council. I don't see the council retrospectively giving you the money back from 6-10 years ago because you didn't inform them you were a FT student.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure