IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Take action or pay up?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Bumping this for others to see today, as I have no time!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • tea_queen
    tea_queen Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2017 at 12:06AM
    Options
    Thanks Coupon-mad :)

Here's a link to my skeleton statement (ignore the highlighted yellow parts of the references - that's for me to remind me to include copies of them all)-

https://we.tl/oYloEoUTCs

Also, couple of questions:

- does it matter if I've lifted some of this from my original defence statement submitted?
    - do I have to resubmit my defence statement as part of the bundle or is that part now done and dusted?
    - is there a limit on the costs I can submit? I've just put my document together and got to the no. of hours spent working on the documentation etc and feels like I've spent an excessive number of hours on this - at £19 an hour that would be quite a substantial amount! (*never mind - found this conversation in a different post - such a shame can't claim back all of the hours!)

Thanks again for anyone that can offer advice/ opinions on this and my witness statement previously posted :)
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2017 at 8:11AM
    Options
    (*never mind - found this conversation in a different post - such a shame can't claim back all of the hours!)

You can try, read this

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/judge-fed-up-with-gladstones-behaviour.html

If this is the general feeling amongst the judges you may get one who is prepared to come down hard on Gladstones, especially if they have behaved unreasonably and not met deadlines nor ollowed procedures. You will need to paint as black a picture as you can.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tea_queen wrote: »
    ... Thanks again for anyone that can offer advice/ opinions on this and my witness statement previously posted :)

This should be headed 'Skeleton Argument' not Skeleton Statement.

Para. [8] is entirely misconceived You have said:
    8. However, even if there was a contract, the provision of payment of £160 is an unenforceable penalty clause. The judgement of the Beavis case upheld the applicability of Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Co. Ltd. V Selfridge & Co Ltd. [1915] AC 847, clauses designed to punish a party for breach of contract may only be upheld if they represent a genuine pre-estimate of loss. The provision is a penalty and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss for the following reasons: (a) as the Claimant is not the landowner and suffers no loss whatsoever as a result of a parking overstay; (b) the amount claimed is evidently disproportionate to any loss suffered by the Claimant; and (c) the penalty bears no relation to the circumstances because it remains the same no matter whether a motorist overstays by ten seconds or ten years.

Dunlop v Selfridge is the wrong case, the correct reference for penalties is Dunlop Tyre v New Garage and Motor Co. [1915] AC 79, but that has now been superseded by the ruling in ParkingEye v Beavis [2015] UKSC 67. It doesn't matter that the landowner or parking operator has suffered no loss, the Supreme Court ruling was that the penalty could be allowed to stand if it served a legitimate interest, such as deterring abuse of the parking facility.

I would delete that clause altogether, it is simply inviting the Judge to say "I am bound by the decision of a higher court", and find in favour of the Claimant.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • tea_queen
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    (*never mind - found this conversation in a different post - such a shame can't claim back all of the hours!)

You can try, read this

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/judge-fed-up-with-gladstones-behaviour.html

If this is the general feeling amongst the judges you may get one who is prepared to come down hard on Gladstones, especially if they have behaved unreasonably and not met deadlines nor ollowed procedures. You will need to paint as black a picture as you can.

Thanks to both of you for your replies :) I hope I get a judge as sympathetic as the one in that case! I'm counting down the weeks to get it over and done with!

Thanks for your guidance bargepole, I have removed that clause now, although unfortunately I think it featured in my defence statement also, will that matter?
  • bargepole
    Options
    !
    Thanks for your guidance bargepole, I have removed that clause now, although unfortunately I think it featured in my defence statement also, will that matter?

That won't matter. If the Judge asks you about it, simply say that you are no longer pursuing that line of argument, and move on.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • tea_queen
    Options
    Hi all,

So I just received an email from Gladstones saying they've filed papers with the court to discontinue the case! Which I'm hoping is as it sounds and time for celebration, but as I have no trust in them I'm somewhat hesitant! I will call the court tomorrow to check they have received this, given that my statements should be submitted by 14th, but in theory this is a win?
  • bargepole
    Options
    Hi all,

So I just received an email from Gladstones saying they've filed papers with the court to discontinue the case! Which I'm hoping is as it sounds and time for celebration, but as I have no trust in them I'm somewhat hesitant! I will call the court tomorrow to check they have received this, given that my statements should be submitted by 14th, but in theory this is a win?

The court may not have processed the discontinuance notice that quickly, but yes, this is a win.

Even Gladstones wouldn't be so stupid as to tell the defendant it's discontinued and fail to notify the court. They often do discontinue claims when they can see they have little chance of success.

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    bargepole wrote: »
    Even Gladstones wouldn't be so stupid as to tell the defendant it's discontinued and fail to notify the court.

MIL or CEL on the other hand ...... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport