PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 16 February 2017

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Floss wrote: »
    Will have to get up and feed the cat as she is trying successfully to annoy me by insinuating herself between me and my phone!
    She's got you properly trained, then. :D Amazing how they do that, get their humans to pander to their every whim. :o

Need to pry Mr LW off the pc as I need to pop into town for some more meds. GP has upped my sustained-release morphine dose from 30mg twice daily to 40mg; so I have to collect some 10mg tablets to augment the 30mg ones I already have (they don't make them in 40mg). S/drug didn't have them in stock, but the nice lady pharmacist always goes the extra mile to get the meds I need, so I prefer to wait a day or so and get them there, rather than trying my luck somewhere else.

Right, now to go and find the crowbar for prizing Mr LW's butt off the computer chair! ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 February 2017 at 3:09PM
    Options
    snoozer wrote: »
    I've just had a very frustrating morning making a cushion cover. It's a star pattern which will be lovely but it's made using a technique called Foundation Paper Piecing which is like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at the same time to me. I'd hoped to have finished the piecing this morning but only got halfway.

brings back memories of my Mother trying to make cushion covers. 6 of them remained unfinished and stuffed in a the living room drawer along with a pair of flannelette pyjamas she was making for my brother for years as well as a half hearted attempt to knit herself a cardigan.:D Oh Mother you were a cow to me most of my life but you still give me something to laugh about even now your gone.

Cant laugh really as i was just as bad. When i first gave birth to my daughter i knitted her a pink cardigan. By the time i finished it, it didnt fit she was too big for it.

The women in my family dont have much patience i'm afraid. My daughters arent much better.:D
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon.

All of the group were almost sweetness and light today, I say almost as one chap was being very unkind to the lad who is on the autistic spectrum so we had a 'let's be kind to each other even if we are all different' type talk! Afterwards they all got on with their work as I think it's hit home just how important this module is.

Came home and did a very fast vacuum and dust round the living room as a neighbour was calling to discuss her giving the room a quick fix painting. She was really good in her appraisal and want needs doing so I'm pleased. The whole place will need doing at some point this year but the living room was beginning to get right on my nerves. So, I'll be clearing out the wall hangings and so on before Thursday when she'll start. I'm going down to Glasgow for a longer weekend so she can crack on. :j

LW / snoozer - your memories are so good about your mothers. Mine was very good at dress-making and made all my clothes until I was about five years old, she even knitted one little dress for me, still got the photo of me wearing it. She wasn't really a knitter. I remember so well the pouffe she made out of National Health milk tins, it squeaked and creaked when sat on but was so comfortable.

Time to crack on here, stuff to do, tea to drink and feet to put up.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,596 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gers, my mum was also a dressmaker (actually a qualified tailor) and used to make lots of my clothes. I remember in the 70's having a tweed maxi skirt (and the granny shoes to go with it, I think they were my first high shoes at about 13) and also some home made hotpants although I must admit at that age I was straight up and down like a pipe cleaner.
  • System
    Options
    snoozer wrote: »
    Gers, my mum was also a dressmaker (actually a qualified tailor) and used to make lots of my clothes. I remember in the 70's having a tweed maxi skirt (and the granny shoes to go with it, I think they were my first high shoes at about 13) and also some home made hotpants although I must admit at that age I was straight up and down like a pipe cleaner.
    Mother made me a school dress too. Thank goodness I don't have any photos. It was red check gingham with puff sleeves and looked like a tent. Not criticising her dressmaking choice though. I've never been easy to dress.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,084 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    Mother made me a school dress too. Thank goodness I don't have any photos. It was red check gingham with puff sleeves and looked like a tent. Not criticising her dressmaking choice though. I've never been easy to dress.

Oh dear! Was that the uniform or just her choice?

When I was a little older, about 10 or 11 years I think, my DM bought me the most awful green and yellow dress which I point blank refused to wear! I didn't go to any after school or social activities for months until I grew out of it as she said I couldn't go if I didn't wear - we were both very stubborn but I had growth on my side. Still remember it clear as day.

My feet didn't go up as I had hoped, I decided to cook up a packet of mince from the fridge as I'm away tomorrow and Saturday and it may not have lasted. I've decided that 'lazy garlic' is not as tasty as the fresh stuff so I won't be buying any more.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone, thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to anyone who needs or wants one.
    An old friend came for lunch today and we had a right good catch up. Her OH is a fruit & veg supplier and she brought a box of lovely veg including some proper dirty carrots and spuds from a local farm:D We are an odd friendship we met through work and are absolutely chalk and cheese in every conceivable way way but get on like a house on fire which I think has surprises people as there could be the potential for real fireworks between us over some things :)

I'm tired tonight and bit unsteady as missed my afternoon feet up/snooze so dinner will be a freezer rake and something bunged in the oven

Hope everyone has a good evening x
  • System
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Oh dear! Was that the uniform or just her choice?

Middle school summer uniform. Age 11-13. Heaven forbid! A 13 year old in a gingham tent! Mind you, High School was just as bad bottle green but no tents.:D
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    It was my grandma who made my clothes when I was young. She could turn her hand to anything with a needle, pair of needles or a hook. The skills weren't passed on to my mum who was too busy working, but she had endless patience teaching me to knit, sew and crochet. Tatting was beyond me sadly and I couldn't get the hang of it! (Lack of patience more like!)

When my kids were young I made all their clothes, and my own, but this was out of necessity not for pleasure! As soon as money was slightly more plentiful I was more than happy to buy their clothes and the machine went to live under the stairs! It comes out now and again but only for alterations!

Night all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • System
    Options
    My friends Mother was big on crocheting. All my friends knit wear was crocheted in bright bold colours. I kid you not, as my friend grew up and outgrew her clothing her Mother would crochet a frill round her dresses and skirts, round the cuffs of her sleeves too. Always in a bright contrasting colour. At primary school we didnt wear uniform but my poor friend stuck out like a sore thumb.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure