Design your perfect campsite

Yonks ago, there was a really interesting thread on this forum about the (imaginary) perfect estate agent, written by a chap starting a new estate agency and looking for advice.

I'm opening a new campsite this year and I want you use your collective imagination to guide me.
  • What would the perfect campsite offer?
  • What pet hates would they solve?
  • What facilities would they have?
  • What would the site feel like? (Atmosphere)
  • What would they do on your arrival? And departure?
  • What would the pitches be like?
  • What site rules would (and wouldn't) they have?
  • What information would they provide to help you book?
  • What information would they provide on site?
  • How they would communicate? And how often?
  • How should their booking process work?
  • What their pricing model would look like? How much should they charge?
  • How would deposits work?
  • How would cancellations work?
  • What other suggestions for the perfect site do you have?

What have your favourite campsites done that has wowed you? All comments, advice and suggestions very welcome!

Thank you!

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My perfect campsite would be operated by someone who respected their fellows and abided by the conditions on commercial-interest posting that they clearly agreed to on signup!
  • Oops. Did I miss a rule? I tried to keep my thread intentionally vague and non-advertisey!
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    good showers . clean toilets . both warm . well kept grass roads and borders . depending on your target market good play park for kids . good dog walks on site . level as possible with access all areas for prams and wheelchairs . local knowledge . flexible rules but not without rules . empty bins on site . small shop if rural serving basics and camping stuff ...... I could go on to say shop . pool . tennis . clubhouse . golf coarse. restaurant . strippers on a sunday .caravan storage . caf! . invite the ice cream van at weekends . petting zoo . local talks and music . connections with pubs and foodies . Tesco etc delivery . bouncy castles . easter hunt . fireworx . nudists . use local people . breakfast . sky sports . dish washing . communal bbq . car boots next door. & an assistant to work the other hours above the 24hr shift
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    generally what area of the country ?
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • merdoom
    merdoom Posts: 815 Forumite
    As a non driving family that camps, bus/train links are 1st priority, a bit of a (safe) walk is fine though.

Regarding the actual site, pitches that are not really close together, clean, warm showers and toilets with full doors and good locks!

I stayed at a great site once that had a full block with kitchen/washing equipment and seating with family size shower/toilet wet rooms next door so you could all go in together.

If you are going the child friendly route, someone to check noise levels after a reasonable time 9/10pm?

Also as we have to carry all our equipment ourselves the option to hire certain things (airbeds/chairs etc.)and a little shop is always welcome as we can only take the minimum.

It really depends which market you are going for, my perfect adults only campsite would differ from my perfect family one!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Just wish there were good camp sites where we want to stay! We belong to caravan and motorhome club plus camping and caravan club and there are areas without good sites. We have family in Worthing so often stay down there, no decent campsites near!

Back to opp. Clear directions, hard standing and grass sites, dog free areas, some trees with seating/bar-b-que under, electric and wi-fi available, small stock of local produce, etc.
  • closemead
    closemead Posts: 45 Forumite
    Clean toilets and showers, family shower rooms are useful especially for little ones, hooks/shelves/a seat in showers to put your stuff on. Not too many unnecessary rules so atmosphere is relaxed, room for children to play. Allow fires. Friendly owners that greet you and chat if there around but generally leave you alone. Spacious pitches (helps with relaxation ;-) )
    March G.C. £300 fail 🙄
    April G.C. £380
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pogofish wrote: »
    My perfect campsite would be operated by someone who respected their fellows and abided by the conditions on commercial-interest posting that they clearly agreed to on signup!

Maybe you could post details of what 'conditions on commercial-interest posting' you think they've broken.

Except you won't be able to, because you've clearly made this up.

Perhaps you need to re-read what you agreed to on signup yourself
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Clean toilets and showers, they do not need to be posh just clean. do not have those daft push button unless it's more than 20 seconds or buying tokens.
    Flat pitches, massively important and the cojones to deal with loud parties, we have twice left a site in the last year for loud family groups partying until 3am.
    If you have the space have areas for different groups, couples, young families, large family groups and partying groups. I suspect that not being able to please all the people means that you will have to decide which group you want. we struggle to find adult only sites, we do not hate children but their parents can be a pain
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A microwave was once a very welcom addition.
    A herb garden where you can help yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure