Baby on Board!!

Options
Hi everyone!

Weve just found out we are expectng our first child, totally unexpected and we are both a little scared! Im a supply teacher with a council, previously on contract with same council for 2 yrs (total employment 2yrs6months). My boyfriend works part time and also a student. Weve looked at student calculator and we are eligible for a few grants.
Im worried about myself with money, im saving as much as i can and i was saving for a house too with my help to buy. We are currently renting. In terms of maternity pay am i eligible for anything? Im panickinf that i wont be able to afford to live and pay off my side of bills (per month around £500-600). Can anyone help me? And what i will be eligible for?

Im still trying for jobs so hopefully i can have some sort of contract for september, but that could only be maternity temp contract anyway. Panicking!!

Thanks! Any tips for anything please share! I have plenty of support from family and friends, very scary 1st timer here!

Comments

• SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations hockeyned.

Here's the government's mat leave page https://www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/eligibility

It's lovely that you have a good support network :).

Baby's don't need to cost a lot ££££ most stuff is just marketing. Keep them warm, fed and loved and you'll be fine.

Let people know that you're happy taking hand-me-downs/second hand stuff and you'll be amazed at what you get offered (in five years I've not had to buy clothes yet apart from gloves)

Breastfeeding is free, find your local NCT people for help.

Co-sleeping, cloth nappies, slings, baby led weaning etc can save money too if any of them feel right for you.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family