PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Monday 13 February 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 13 February 2017 at 7:15AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Monday 13 February 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, damp underfoot.

Lunch yesterday was roast pork, roasties, mash, carrots, brussels, cauli/broc cheese, peas, gravy and yorkshires, ice cream sundaes for dessert for those that had room. Tonight will be fish, chips, beans/veg.

Yesterday we were quite lazy, I just prepped and cooked lunch, and organised pack ups, then chilled, we watched the rugby, was a bit of a brutal game but great to see true sportsmen, actually putting in some real effort when representing their country.

Back to work for me today - expecting a manic Monday, although we "should" be in the little bit of time where it's "the calm before the storm"! We'll see.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

nmlc, cooking that dinner doesn't sound like having a lazy day!

I had a lovely Sunday lunch at DDs, she's full of snot with a rotten cold but hopefully it will clear by Friday - she's off to SA with her BF for 3 weeks. I took her my reading kindle so she was happily choosing some books to read. We also went to the DIY emporium so she could choose some paint for the bedrooms, I'll do them when she's away.

Washing up to date, DW emptied and lunch sorted, just need to brave that biting wind and another week at work begins.

Have a good Monday, take care. XX
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's cold and windy here this morning and that's just my hubby :rotfl::rotfl:. Seriously, it doesn't sound very nice outside. Hubby has struggled manfully into work even though he still has the tail end of his cold. The girls are all still asleep at the moment but I will be getting poor DD15 up in a minute for school.

I weighed myself this morning and have lost another pound so I am pleased with that. I bought Dr Xand's new book on how to lose weight and eat well. It was an interesting read but I totted up the cost of ingredients for 1 week for just myself following his diet plan and it came to over £85 which I cannot afford. I think there would be a fair bit left over for following weeks but as an initial expense it is too steep for me.

I will be making a sausage and bean casserole for tea with some jacket potatoes. I also have a fancy for some dippy eggs so that is what I am going to have for lunch. I am giving the girls £10 each and they have to plan and budget for a meal for all of us this week while they are off school. There are some guidelines as in they have to include vegetables and they have to be Dad friendly meals to cover his lactose intolerance. It will be interesting to see what they choose to make and I get a few days off cooking :D.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Good morning, thank you for starting the thread nmlc.

LW I read yesterday's later posts just now and hope that things may feel a bit less dark soon. I miss your posts too.

Hester, a narrow boat sounds very exciting, is there a link to your blog please? Have you read the Narrow Dog to Carcassonne book and there is a sequel, they are fun. Author is Terry Darlington.

I had a long sleep but have been woken by someone's burglar alarm. It is not a neighbour, not sure where it is. The wind is howling too.

I must go and get ready for work and am not looking forward to the week. It isn't going to be an easy week, well I'm not paid to have an easy time, and on top of that we are about to have another office move, within the (mahoosive. 0 building and major changes to our service. So I will go and shower, gird my loins and get on with it.

Dustbin men are collecting our rubbish now, a small weekly treat, though the crows tend to try getting to the bags and you can imagine the mess.

Hope people have a good day and positive thoughts for the worried, poorly or sad.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The latex around the edge of the floor didn't work out as planned. It filled in most places but the wall at the back appears to have a couple of black holes, as the latex was poured it just disappeared :D We waited a few hours for the latex to dry then filled it with sand and cement. Because the furniture spent the day pulled away from the walls, I had no room to use the vax. I'm not going to bother now, I'll wait til everything's done.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Master tru is having the large radiator from the lounge to replace his very old one and we've got a new smaller one. We can sort both lounge radiators ourselves but weren't sure about the one upstairs, the system needs draining for that to be swapped and I was convinced we'd cause a flood, lol. Our plumber friend is coming this morning, he said it'll take a while for the system to empty so he'll keep busy by doing the downstairs radiators too. We haven't painted yet so have quickly slapped a mist coat on then a plain white coat where the radiators are going, hopefully I'll find a skinny roller to fit behind the radiators once I've finally decided on a colour :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm really fed up with all this now. I used to love it and would get stuck in to DIYing, excited to see the end result. But for the last few years, every time something needs doing I've felt like saying 'I'm off to Cornwall, call me when it's done' :rotfl:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Not sure what I'm doing today, it depends on how long the plumber is here. I can finally get to the washing machine easily so I'll put that to work this afternoon. I'm trying to resist, but I'm at the lock myself in the bedroom with wine and chocolate stage.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Dumpling, well done on your weight loss. Slowly and surely is the way to go. Don't talk to me about weight loss though, Hubby and I were trying to lose weight together. I've not lost any more and he's put on 6lb. I noticed the butterscotch instant whip had krept into the trolley this week and it wasn't put in by me!

Didn't feel hubby and Youngest go to work this morning but they have gone...I must have been comatose. Well I was up twice in the night with one of the hounds ageing bladder. I was so cold. Didn't help that hubby had got the ceiling fan on. He was hot. Oh well, he's at work now so the heating can go up! The fan is now off.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC.

Wow HESTER that looks amazing. Is it a static barge or can you sail away at will when the mood takes you? When we go to Hebden Bridge to walk along the canal we pass quite a little community of barges but they are static ones. Some of them look so pretty with little gardens on the bank and the deck full of pots of flowers.

It still feels nippy here and the wind is howling but the local weatherman says we will be in double figures midweek. Roll on!

There are plenty of jobs I should be doing but I may instead get the bus into town and have a wander round looking for the tall silk poppies I am hankering after for the bedroom. If I see nowt I can catch another bus onwards to Dunelm and TK Maxx where I will probably have more chance of spotting some.

I left some of the soup I made yesterday in the fridge for lunch with a sarnie of some sort. Dinner yet to be christened but may well be salmon for Mr TA and smoked haddock for me.

Have a good day folks if you can and HUGS for the poorlies, sad and worried for those wanting one. LAMEWOLF thinking of you and hope the black clouds soon lift. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    We are still reeling, it's so exciting but It hasn't really sunk in yet.
    My L&M forgot to reset his alarm so it went of at 5am I came downstairs emptied one of the 2 small freezers that we have and set it to defrost, I then went back to bed and managed to get some more sleep.
    AOD, I'll pm you the link to my blog.
    LW I hope you are ok.
    Dumpling well done on the weight loss.
    Time for another cuppa.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Dry here but still very cold and windy, I for one am heartily sick of winter now and am aching for some sunshine.
    Thought that I would go into Ely this morning and have a little mooch round, am running low on my book stocks so will hit the CS's although it will be hard to resist the lovely independent bookshop in the town. There is also a jumper in WS that I have my eye on so maybe a treat is on the cards.

This afternoon I need to sort out the spare room ahead of a wardrobe being delivered tomorrow, ordered it in the Jan sales and will enable me to tidy away an old clothing rail that I use, intend to have a good cull too and bag up any unwanted stuff for the CS's.

Dumpling what an excellent way to get your DD's involved, you are a great Mum x

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning,

Nmlc thank you for the thread.

Dumpling well done on weight loss. Is the book worth getting for a vegetarian?

Hester what a treasure! Well done on making the decision and I hope you get so much joy living there.

Woke up to the sun filtering through the curtains, what a lovely view, countryside and huge trees and a river in the distance, I could get used to a view like this every day. Reflected on what a spoiled princess I am sometimes, yesterday as we arrived I was just pick get at what's wrong here, what I don't like there, how silly of me. It's a beautiful place and I am very lucky to be able to spend a couple of nights here!

Got to go to breakfast now, then Bletchley Park, here we come! Will report back later on how it went.

Have a good day.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,086 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

The horrible east wind is stronger than ever and howled round the house all night, it's still very blustery now, wish I had kept the bed linen wash until today! No rain as yet.

I don't think I have to do anything today so it'll be another day of pleasing myself. No shopping to be done and no washing either.

The highlight of the day will be seeing my postie who's been off for two weeks. Hopefully he'll bring the new web controlled power socket thingy I ordered and I can spend a baffling hour or so setting it up. The upstairs TV can only be fully switched off by turning the plug off, there's not an on / off switch on the set itself, so it's either on or on standby with an annoyingly bright red light. This bothers me at night, along with the standby light on the PVR. So, I ages ago I bought a remote control thingy for the plug which I operate from across the room in bed. :o That now means that I often go away at weekends and forget to switch it on so the box can record programmes and bothers me too! Now I'm getting an app based plug so I can turn the blooming thing on from anywhere, all because this lady loves NCIS.

Right, up, shower, breakfast, online banking, woodburner, sofa, feet up!

Happy Monday to all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport