PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Storecupboard Essentials

Comments

• Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Here's my quick basic storecupboard - I too am still learning OS but I have some good basic principles from my cash-strapped student days!

Tinned tomatoes
    Various tinned beans
    Tinned tuna
    Tinned sweetcorn
    Flour
    Oatmeal/Porridge Oats
    Dried Fruit
    Sugar
    Black Peppercorns
    Salt
    Paprika
    Chilli Powder
    Mixed Herbs
    Tomato Puree
    Gravy Salt (Burdalls if poss)
    Lentils/Split Peas/Broth Mix
    Pasta/Noodles/Rice
    Pitta Bread/Bagels/Tortillas

Milk
    Cheddar Cheese
    Soft Cheese
    Eggs
    Margarine/Butter
    Mayonnaise
    Ketchup
    Bacon

Frozen Peas/Green Beans
    Pizza Bases
    Spare loaf of bread/pint of milk

Peppers
    Cabbage
    Broccoli
    Carrots
    Onions
    LOADS of Potatoes!!!
    Salad greens
    Apples
    Seasonal Soft Fruit

and ...
    Orange juice
    Olive oil
    Meat of the week!
    Yoghurt

and of course the vital ingredient for virtually every meal:
    red wine!
  • :) I've been paring down my storecupboard list and thought it might be of use to some people especially new posters looking to stock their shelves. I know I've posted a list before so apologies for repeating myself. This is what I keep in my cupboards as a matter of course. As you can see I don't buy breakfast cereals, biscuits, jars of sauces, lunchbox items or crisps.

I do buy treats occasionally like chocolate or more expensive cheese and sometimes Mr Brains' faggots for an easy tea ;) . I also buy fresh fish, or smoked mackerel regularly and other meat like wild rabbit, oxtail, stewing beef and the odd very expensive item like a Christmas goose :D

Baking supplies
    Flour – bread, plain, self-raising (wholemeal and white)
    Yeast, baking powder, bicarb, salt
    Sugar – granulated, Demerara, soft brown
    Golden syrup
    Oats
    Raisins, sultanas, apricots
    Coconut, sunflower seeds
    Cocoa
    Cornflour
    Dried milk
    suet

Staples
    Potatoes
    Rice
    Pasta – spaghetti, penne
    Barley
    Lentils, soup mix
    Beans – mung (for sprouting), kidney, white beans, chickpeas
    Popcorn
    Crackers/crispbreads

Tins and cartons
    Baked beans
    Sardines/tuna/mackerel
    Peaches/pineapple/mandarins
    Passata, tomato puree
    Orange juice, apple juice
    UHT milk
    Coffee, tea

Bottles and jars
    Olive oil, sunflower oil
    Wine vinegar
    Sherry, vermouth
    Soy sauce
    Marmite
    Mustard
    Honey
    Jams, jellies, chutneys (homemade)
    Stock powder
    Spices - a variety

Fridge
    Milk
    Yogurt (homemade)
    Butter
    Cheese – cheddar, parmesan, cream cheese
    Eggs
    Bacon and ham

Freezer
    Peas, sweetcorn
    Berries and fruit purees- picked in season
    Pittas
    Loaves and rolls (homemade)
    Stock (homemade)
    Tomato sauce (homemade)
    Chickens
    Mince
    Sausages
    Fish fillets – salmon and white fish

Fruit and veg
    Onions, garlic
    Carrots
    Lemons
    Apples, bananas, oranges
    Seasonal, locally grown stuff

HTH:)
  • I'd add tinned tomatoes and chickpeas to tins and cartons list. Good for meal emergencies.

And balsamic vinegar and Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce to bottles and jars. :)
    TL
  • I'd also add dried herbs and spices;

Nutmeg(whole)
    Mixed Spice
    Cinnamon( ground & sticks)
    Star annise
    Turmeric
    Cummin
    Chinise 5 Spice
    Cloves
    Mace( great in tomato recipes)
    Cardamon pods
    Vanilla Pods.

Lots more in mine ...these are what I use on a regular basis

Also HM vanilla sugar
    and a pot of basil on the windowsill
    "Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into someone else's nonsense, tell yourself: Not my circus, not my monkeys." - Mark Borkowski.
  • oooh

I also keep various cake decorating bits in mine too ( Children you see...Great to sit them down with some HM fairy cakes and get them decorating )

so....

Icing Sugar
    Various food colourings
    gold and silver balls
    100s & 1000s
    good quality vanilla extract
    "Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into someone else's nonsense, tell yourself: Not my circus, not my monkeys." - Mark Borkowski.
  • I keep all the spices you mention Mustafa, plus others, but I just put them on my list as 'spices' ;) I have fresh herbs in the garden too.

Toxic Lemon, I also used to always have tinned tomatoes in as well as passata. Then I realised I always used passata in favour of tinned toms so I thought 'why keep buying them?'.
  • thriftlady wrote:
    I keep all the spices you mention Mustafa, plus others, but I just put them on my list as 'spices' ;) I have fresh herbs in the garden too.

Toxic Lemon, I also used to always have tinned tomatoes in as well as passata. Then I realised I always used passata in favour of tinned toms so I thought 'why keep buying them?'.

:o ...doh:doh: ah I can see spices now ....as usual rushing ahead of myself:o

I keep herbs in the garden too ..I just wish mine was big enough for veggies.
    I love this thead ...I'm still halfway through sorting my kitchen cupboards and using your list as a guide :T
  • thriftlady wrote:
    Passata is great but I like tinned toms if I want a bit of texture as in Chilli con Carne and Lasagne. But best of all, I love them on toast for breakfast! ;)

It's a fab list! Looks exactly like my own cupboard. :D
    TL
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    a must for me , which i always keep in . ( apart from now as i've used them all up today) and that is glacie cherries and flaked almonds.
  • loumac
    loumac Posts: 942 Forumite
    Ooh, you really are all so clever.

I'm still trying to clear my cupboards but I now know exactly what to buy when I get started again. Thank you.

I have to admit I am scared that I would buy these things and not use them though. I need to check out those staple recipes.

I live alone and have lived on frozen pizzas and jars of sauce since moving out of my parents house 3 years ago.

However, I have asked Father Christmas for a blender, a breadmaker and some new tins and pans for Christmas and I am going to keep visiting OS and keep learning. :A
    Wandered away from the MSE track for a while but am back and on a mission! Debts cleared nearly £18k. Now to start saving ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure