We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Part of the Furniture First Post
    That's great, well done!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,794 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! I'm a Volunteer Ambassador
    Small victories is what makes the difference and glad the nagging in your head won over the washing up bowl.

When you are debt free that is the time for luxuries but I would never pay £48 for a washing up bowl anyway. I went into my local John Lewis to pick up 2 new toilet brushes, they were £40 each :eek: so went next door to B and M and picked them up for £3 each and we don't have debt. I have a psychological block I think on refusing to pay what I consider to be unreasonable prices regardless of what shop they come from.

Wonderful that the extra on minimums will make such a difference to your DFD.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    I am seriously so happy about that chair!!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Admit it, you're all more impressed with the chair than the DFD improvement, aren't you?
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 11,163 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    No, no, the DFD is wonderful, see me happy dancing for you? :D

Well, I would if there were any dancing smilies.

And the chair is great too - more space, some cash, it goes to someone who'll love it - all good.

What really makes me happy is the washing up bowl victory. :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Silver_Queen
    Silver_Queen Posts: 824 Forumite
    Re: the DFD improvement:

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Well done!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,066 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm most impressed by the washing up bowl victory, seriously :)

You 'live and breathe' a certain lifestyle aspiration and are finding it very difficult to switch that off. If I sent pics of washing up bowls to my husband at work he'd think I'd gone off my rocker lol. I know you're telling it as a funny story, but its a really telling one as well that with all you have to juggle, that sneaks in and steals quite a considerable amount of time and thought.

But you got there in the end so this might be a small but very significant victory :):)
  • Ooh and and and... I listed that chair on eBay! It only started last night and has precisely zero bids and zero watchers, but hopefully it will get a tenner and, crucially, leave my house!

Yay! Hopefully it sells quickly for you.
    Ooh, more exciting news. I've just redone our Stoozing snowball calculator based on our new balances and 0% deals. Our minimum repayment has gone up by £40, which we're going to try to keep up even when it reduces (DH recently had an annual % pay rise which gives us about £25 a month more, so we'll just pretend the pay rise never happened, and we're still waiting to hear about his hopefully bigger pay rise), and the 0% deal obviously means more repayment is going on the balance rather than interest, so the calculator has knocked a whopping SEVENTEEN MONTHS off our DFD, bringing it forward to March 2025. Will update signature shortly to reflect that.

Excellent news!! :T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,478 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Name Dropper 10 Posts
    edited 7 June 2017 at 1:37PM

I am not enjoying coming down to a living room full of airers and dehumidifier this week - looks like less rain today, so hopefully I can get some laundry on the line. I resent the electricity the dehumidifier uses when it's summertime - I don't mind it in winter.

We use a Gnu rail (actually 4 poles in a double ended frame on a rope-pulley) for hanging clothes on. It is brilliant for drying clothes - like this one http://www.clothesairerstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22_29&products_id=97&zenid=6unjihb1253qd0uea06g853fl0 - I hang hangers on it and it sits above the boiler so it gets ambient heat from that. 10 minutes in the Tumble Dryer on to a hanger and dry overnight. - An old-fashioned but effective tool with no electricity.

I have been offline for a couple of days - boy does your diary shift!

I just wanted to add a well done :T for moving that MBNA balance to the 0% Barclaycard. And to suggest another thought for using your space differently.

You mention the children's room is huge. Could that be divided in such a way that you and your husband have the bigger part and your daughter has the smaller part? - giving your current bedroom to the two boys. You can then consider a much smaller option if the boys sharing becomes an issue in the future (room divider for example). I am guessing they have the upstairs dormer at the moment. You might want an additional dormer so the split room works better, obviously you know the layout and I don't. This also means you have a couple of years to plan for this as your eldest is only nine. Having his sister share is more likely to be an issue when he starts senior school I think.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 £3260.33 so far, just over 65%
    [url="https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6500427/february-2024-grocery-challenge/p1"]OS Grocery Challenge 2024 58.22% spent or £1746.54/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    I have to be totally honest here... I didn't even know it was possible to spend £48 on a washing up bowl! (Imagine me giggling into my coffee over here).

Not a criticism of you looking for the excellent design features (of course I searched for it after you mentioned it) but I'm totally baffled that these things can go for those prices!!! :eek:
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.