£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• FiscalPickle
    Options
    Another Mooncup convert here, tampons started giving me thrush after every period and I was uneasy about the waste they create. I love the Mooncup, I would say that my periods are lighter and less painful since I started using one. I also agree about the stalk, trim it right down otherwise it will poke you!

How do you clean yours TOPM? I rinse mine in hot water, then it goes on the hob in its own pan for a 7 minute boil. I’m on my second in 4 years, I put the pan on the stove after 1 cycle and forgot, melted the blooming thing! :rotfl:

The pan is kept separately, I call it the period pan and warn guests that they should NEVER boil eggs or milk in it!
    £20k debt paid off, now saving for mortgage deposit
    In the process of shedding 42lbs
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Great topic and I will mention the moon cup to my daughter. While we are in the business of sharing I haven't had a period in years because I have a Mirena coil fitted - contraception and no periods, a double bonus.

This literally changed my life and seem to be a well kept secret amongst the medical profession. Lots of nurses and midwifes have them but they arent generally "offered", you have to ask. I know this won't suit everyone but was a godsend for me. I have recently had another fitted, even though I doubt I need contraception but it helps with menopausal symptoms.

I am crying with laughter at Fiscal Pickles period pan:rotfl:
  • bubblycrazy
    Options
    One last thing.......does anyone else read the week and day titles in the Big Brother narrators voice or is it just me :rotfl:

I didn't, but I will now! :rotfl:
    MFW - Original balance 28/08/2014 £52850
    Original MF date: 2049:eek: Aiming for: 2025 Current MFD: 2030
    Balance 27/07/2016 £49990
    Balance 08/07/2017 £47999
    Balance 30/07/2018 £44500
    Balance 01/08/2019 £40700
    Balance 03/09/2020 £37619
    Balance 30/09/2021 £33983
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Glad to know there are so many mooncup/reusables fans among us! Hopefully any lurkers who were contemplating it are now completely sold on the idea :D .

I feel like I am winning at World Book Day costumes - DC2 wants to go as character that his best friend has a costume for, so we are borrowing that, and DC1 wants to go as Peter from the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, but as an evacuee rather than as a king, so apart from a pair of knee socks we have everything we need in the house.

Have had one of those nice days where you get lots of little jobs done, which is nice. Also discovered that DH had spent FIFTEEN POUNDS on a present for a friend of DC1's on the weekend, not even a close friend of DC1, he was just invited to the (big) party. Completely ridiculous. I am going to ban him from presents henceforth. I think I will buy a couple of universal presents, and if we don't feel we have anything appropriate then they're getting a fiver in a card. £15 each is what we spend on our niece and nephew!

Food spend was also bigger than I wanted on the weekend as we had to do a full shop rather than a top up, but I was able to jiggle a little money round (I had extra left in the fuel pot) to cover it so we don't start next month short, as that's a total recipe for disaster.

Three things to do today
    1. Make a pudding for dinner - we have some tinned fruit in the cupboard which I will try to incorporate. Done, and used up the dregs of all the random hippy flours in the cupboard that were probably miles out of date, so it had oat, coconut and normal flours. Actually tasted surprisingly edible.
    2. Figure out book day costumes. Done.
    3. Make sourdough. Second loaf in the oven as I type, two more to go in (will beg DH to do the last one so I can go to bed at a reasonable hour!).

Savings/Spends:
    - £1.14 last few days of February 'rounding down' pot (£195.17 already paid off CC debt so far this month)
    - £1,241.97/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 February 2018 at 11:07PM
    Options
    Hippy flours! :) Me too. :D

I've recently been hearing about reusable sanitary towels/knickers but I don't know anyone who uses them yet (or admits to it)!
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Great topic and I will mention the moon cup to my daughter. While we are in the business of sharing I haven't had a period in years because I have a Mirena coil fitted - contraception and no periods, a double bonus.

This literally changed my life and seem to be a well kept secret amongst the medical profession. Lots of nurses and midwifes have them but they arent generally "offered", you have to ask. I know this won't suit everyone but was a godsend for me. I have recently had another fitted, even though I doubt I need contraception but it helps with menopausal symptoms.

Yes, me too. I am on my second and use it with some Oestrogel, the oestrogen part of HRT. Minimum fuss and no periods, and no prospect of getting pregnant. Thank goodness! At my age I would be mortified
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 55: Day 2

Morning! I think we are one of the few places that is still snowless, I hope nobody is MSE-land is badly snowed in or struggling.

I have spent half an hour this morning getting my budgets ready for March. I did this not out of some fit of organisation, but because seeing DH's salary sitting ready to go was burning a major hole in my pocket, so I went through and assigned it in YNAB for March to remove the temptation to spend it. Even though I know we can't afford to spend it, I still find myself struggling hugely with the lure of thousands in the bank.

Speaking of which, having checked my bank balances a moment ago while updating YNAB, I just can't get over how different our finances are from a year ago. I currently have £3,600 in the joint account and £1,800 in my business account, which is amazing enough in itself, but also I am looking at them knowing full well that essentially I still have no money (i.e. no money I could go and blow right now on whatever I wanted) and therefore I need to be sensible, which is even more amazing. Is it possible that no £50 washing up bowls lie in my future?! :eek: :rotfl:

Of course, I do have my eye on a really tasteful (erm, expensive) loo brush as a reward for hitting my next debt milestone, but let's gloss over that for now. :D

Another day of lots of little jobs, hoping to make some good headway. Going to really try to focus on just three things, then update my list if/when I get them done, rather than doing my usual headless chicken impression.

I am really feeling the urge to shop (particularly for house/lifestyle stuff, as I'm feeling fat so no joy in clothes) at the moment. I know that 9/10 times this means I need to spend some time making my house nice again, maybe make some candles, as it's a sure sign that what I want to buy is the illusion of free time and the lifestyle where I enjoy these things, rather than the actual things themselves. I mean, obviously I like the things themselves too :D (this is me we're talking about, after all), but I know I can reduce that sensation of total and utter craving down to just 'ooh, I'd quite like that <insert nice homeware here> but I'll start a savings pot and if I can't be bothered to make the extra money to add to it then I just won't get that thing for a bit longer'.

Three things to do today
    1. Pack and post order for smaller business.
    2. Update appointment calendar to show availability.
    3. Product listings for smaller business.

Debt repayment:
    - £1.48 last few days of February 'rounding down' pot (£195.17 already paid off CC debt so far this month)
    - £1,241.97/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    In other news, I have just updated my signature. DFD has come forward another few months (from July 2026) but I find that number and those dates utterly depressing. I can't find my mortgage info to update that total (at the bottom of my sig) but it's broadly similar.

It is definitely better for me and my motivation to focus firmly on eliminating that CC debt first, then thinking about the parental loan. The best part of £35k and another eight years of debt repayment (particularly considering that situation will get worse when we extend) is just more than I can contemplate.
  • poppy811
    Options
    Hi
    I have always read your diary but never posted. I just wanted to encourage you in your journey because your attitude to your debt has changed so dramatically over the year. There will be days when you feel defeated but don't give up.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You really are doing amazingly well! I would try to focus on the 'little everyday things' rather than the end date, which is going to demotivate you if you aren't careful - though you are allowed a celebratory dance for bringing that forward!

Love the thought of the up-market loo brush :rotfl:.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure