£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Fingers crossed for your car. Hope it can be salvaged without too massive a bill.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,023 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got everything crossed for the car too :)

Its about time you caught a break with something costing LESS than you fear for once.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Willing your little car to be OK over here too. You really do deserve a break
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope your car gets fixed for a sum less than the pot you have done so well at pulling together.

Any cake crumbs left after the weekend send in my direction :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fingers crossed for the car today.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 23 February 2018 at 12:32PM
    Options
    I'm OK really about the car, it's just frustrating that every time I feel like I'm making progress it seems like we take another huge step backwards. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed today and hoping it all comes in at a sensible sum.

We're all crossing fingers for you too!

It occurs to me... those huge steps backwards would have happened before your LBM as well, but in those days they would just have gone on a card and made things worse. At least nowadays you are aware and can head them off. I have an image of you playing Space Invaders with them! (If you remember Space Invaders?)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think you're on your own being on tenterhooks until the car bill is revealed - it appears that we all are!

Another one here with fingers crossed that it's minimal repair costs and that you catch t hat break that you so deserve.

I feel your car pain - we pay out a lot for our car and our annual service came in at a whopping £319 this year! I almost collapsed in a heap.
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Sorry to keep you all in suspense, but I still don't know the final answer :eek: . The garage can't find a specific problem for the fault despite taking it for a drive and running a diagnostic, but they're going ahead with the service and hoping that all the general filter changing, cleaning, oil change etc will sort the problem out. My translation of their garage-speak is that they think everything's just a bit gungy and manky. I would imagine that the full service will still take most or all of the budget available, which is frustrating as I'll need to try to put by that money again in case the problem crops up again, but at least it (hopefully!) won't be miles over the budget I've set.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    And the final score iiiiiiiis... £384.

Could have been (a lot) better, could have been (a lot) worse. It would have been cheaper, but one of the brake callipers was merrily leaking brake fluid everywhere, so that was kind of an urgent fix :eek: . No specific solution on the issue it's been having, but all the filters etc were totally disgusting, so I'm hoping now they're all nice and clean things might improve. I'll try to top the car maintenance pot up again fairly rapidly in case the problem comes back. The garage chap said the car was in pretty good nick for the age/mileage, and agreed with our plan to run it until it becomes uneconomical to repair. I was really impressed with the garage actually, they were very non-condescending (any woman here who has been treated like an idiot by a mechanic will know how nice it is not to be), explained everything and communicated throughout the day about the work that needed doing as they went through.

I had £370 in the car maintenance pot and £52 in the emergency fund, so it's covered with a bit of a dip into the emergency fund, but at least I didn't have to raid any of the other savings pots. We'll call that a teeny weeny win, even though not spending £384 on my fairly rubbish car would have been even nicer ;) .
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    I'd call that a win really.
    Good news at least and well done for having the money to do it.
    One day something like that will just be 'run of the mill' and you won't even bat an eyelid.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure