Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... - Page 206

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

edited 4 June 2017 at 1:58PM in Debt Free Diaries
4.3K replies 873K views

Replies

• apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A washing up bowl...?
    NST Jan Jitterbugger#1; NSD2 ; Ex3 ; bagfuls (62)

Mortgage £386 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • TreadingonplaymobilTreadingonplaymobil Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    A washing up bowl...?
    :rotfl: :T :rotfl:
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    A JL voucher so that you can shop guilt free in the sales after Christmas : D
    cocalls wrote: »
    morning treading

i wonder if you could ask your mum for the nat trust membership?
    Hows the getting extra sleep mission going?
    Both of these are great ideas, but she likes to buy me a 'thing' (something physical that can be handed over) or she feels like she has just handed over cash (which is fair enough).
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two washing up bowls...?
    NST Jan Jitterbugger#1; NSD2 ; Ex3 ; bagfuls (62)

Mortgage £386 ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
  • PositiveBalancePositiveBalance Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Two washing up bowls...?

Now, now...I thought part of this journey was only to obtain the things you need. This is sheer greed! :D
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
  • Silver_QueenSilver_Queen Forumite
    824 posts
    ✭✭✭
    What about something you want, like a nice new bag or new shoes?
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    What about a weekend away for you and DH and your mum looks after the DC's .
  • TreadingonplaymobilTreadingonplaymobil Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Week 41: Day 6

I'm laughing at the washing up bowl suggestions! Would love to ask for time away/childcare, but it feels like a bit of an imposition.

Need to pack and get organised today for visiting relatives. It's going to be an expensive weekend as I am meeting some old uni friends for lunch, then taking DC2 out for the afternoon on Sunday for some one to one time as he really needs it (in London, he has shortlisted a few tourist attractions). We'll also go and see the Christmas lights and the usual big city stuff. I do have some money put by for it, and we're doing this as our pre-Christmas treat - no expensive pantos or santa visits or anything in December as DH and I don't really enjoy them, and the DCs seem indifferent.

Oh, another bit of good news that will ease finances from January (annoyingly not December, could have done with some bonus money, but equally I would only spend it on more presents, so maybe no such a bad thing) is it turns out we are enormously in credit with our gas/electricity, so our DD is reducing from £112 per month to £49! I thought we were only in credit by a normal 'pre-winter' amount, but thinking about it we've barely had the heating on until the last week or two, so I suppose our consumption has only just gone up, and we have been hundreds of pounds in credit for a few months.

I really feel like we've spent this year battling and battling to tame our finances, trying to keep things affordable without totally compromising our priorities as a family and keeping the extension dream alive. There's still a really long way to go before I can declare that we are anything like in control, but I do feel like we're in a really different place to where we were 12 months ago when we first started to tentatively discuss the fact that it might be nice to actually pay off our enormous debt. I don't want to get complacent, as we are still a looooonnnnnng way from secure, but I do feel pleased that we have sustained our debt repayment over the year despite a few hiccups of the non-earning variety along the way.

I must actually add up the numbers at some stage - I haven't actually updated the 'official' figures for a couple of months now. It will be all change once the new mortgage comes through anyway, so I'll probably take a fresh look at things when that happens.

to do today
    1. sew together and stuff the unicorn, all the pieces are finished.
    2. pack for weekend away.
    3. finish December budget.
    4. fill advent bags and add chocolate to food shopping list if required.
    5. finish tidying utility room.
    6. menu plan and shopping list for next week so DH can pick up anything we need on the way home from work today - he won't be back until late Sunday with the children so no time to shop then (I am working in London Tue-Wed next week, so will just stay up there with relatives on Sunday night and mooch around on Monday trying not to spend money).

To do this week
    1. declutter and tidy utility room - it is such a dumping ground.
    2. put advent calendar together.
    3. do the next chunk of Christmas shopping - stockings.
    4. buy some fabric for a tree skirt - just going to drape some linen over the table where the tree will go, nothing fancy. It has just occurred to me to ask my mother, who has loads and is visiting next week.
    5. make more candles.

To do this month
    1. Keep the total spend at the budgeted level - it's high on YNAB this month (£3,842) as it includes the £470 paid off the MBNA card and all our savings pots are actually budgeted.!This is not going well.
    2. Keep a tight record of Christmas spends so I can ensure it sticks to budget as far as possible.!Ongoing.
    3. Keep beavering away at my business goals.!Ongoing.
    4. Make some candles - we've run out! And I know one person really wants another one for Christmas, so will add it to her hyacinth.!Done! Although I'll probably use them up and need to make more before Christmas.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I remember you saying you wish you had a beautiful cup to sit and have a relaxing cup of tea. Maybe ask your Mum for this, maybe with a matching pot and use it to make you take time out to simply stop and be for 20 minutes in the day. You do yoga - you know the benefits

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £7,085.43/£5k 141.7%
    Save £12k in 2021 - #26 aiming for £7,500
    OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £0/£3k 0% annual (£500 contingency)
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • MisslayedMisslayed Forumite, Board Guide
    8.9K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you’re hundreds of pounds in credit, why not ask for it back? They wil still reduce your DD, but not by as much. Have you checked you’re on the best tariff? I switch regularly, it’s painless.
    Do you wear perfume? Mum could replenish or buy matching bath/shower smellies for Christmas.
    Enjoy London.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • museumworkermuseumworker Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe your mum might see a membership as different to a gift voucher, the latter does seem more like cash to me than the former.

Enjoy London! With the lights and museums there is lots to see for next to nothing, if there are any paid visitor attractions on the list a huge proportion of them do 2 for 1 with your rail ticket, just print off the voucher online first.
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20