** Baffled by MSE Captcha **

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
20 replies 2.3K views
PhylPhoPhylPho Forumite
1.4K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Techie Stuff
Just checking (not venting) but has anyone else experienced any difficulty in posting on here recently?

I've been an MSE member for 7 years and have just replied to another poster who was kindly helping out with something . . . but my reply was intercepted by something to do with 'Cloudfire' and one of those ludicrous Captcha things requiring me to tick images with (in this instance) street signs, this to prove I Am Not A Robot.

Seeing as how I was posting without obstruction yesterday and the day before, hopefully some new IT practice has not been introduced here otherwise not only will I continue not to be a robot, I won't be an MSE member, either.

(Note: in order to facilitate the MSE Captcha it was necessary for me to disable Privacy Badger, Adblock Plus, Better Privacy and uBlock Origin. These are defence measures which work happily in tandem, have never slowed down Firefox, and are in place for quite sensible reasons. Also: I do not use my VPN -- ever -- to connect to MSE, so today's connection and privacy safeguards are the exact same as yesterday's. Why, then, the Captcha intercept??) :(

Replies

• debitcardmayhemdebitcardmayhem Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PhylPho wrote: »
    Just checking (not venting) but has anyone else experienced any difficulty in posting on here recently?

I've been an MSE member for 7 years and have just replied to another poster who was kindly helping out with something . . . but my reply was intercepted by something to do with 'Cloudfire' and one of those ludicrous Captcha things requiring me to tick images with (in this instance) street signs, this to prove I Am Not A Robot.

Seeing as how I was posting without obstruction yesterday and the day before, hopefully some new IT practice has not been introduced here otherwise not only will I continue not to be a robot, I won't be an MSE member, either.

(Note: in order to facilitate the MSE Captcha it was necessary for me to disable Privacy Badger, Adblock Plus, Better Privacy and uBlock Origin. These are defence measures which work happily in tandem, have never slowed down Firefox, and are in place for quite sensible reasons. Also: I do not use my VPN -- ever -- to connect to MSE, so today's connection and privacy safeguards are the exact same as yesterday's. Why, then, the Captcha intercept??) :(
    no problems here with iThing
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖
  • bob_a_builderbob_a_builder Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No Captcha intercepts for me on MSE

We know what a Captcha looks like, but some screen shots of what your seeing might help identify why your seeing it

As some one who runs Adblock and P.Badger I assume you've already let Malware bytes give it the once over ?
  • PhylPhoPhylPho Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    paddyrg wrote: »

Paddy: thanks for that link, and also for the comments you posted on that thread. Seems it isn't just me then. Hopefully it's a one-off because I can't be bothered to go to the trouble of disabling protective measures so as to fill in a Captcha which, of course, can't be filled in if those measures remain in place.
    No Captcha intercepts for me on MSE We know what a Captcha looks like, but some screen shots of what your seeing might help identify why your seeing it

As some one who runs Adblock and P.Badger I assume you've already let Malware bytes give it the once over ?

Bob: 's funny, I always screenshot anything and everything that ranks as an unexpected occurrence where my pooter's concerned. This time, however, I was so anxious to get my post submitted (so as to thank another MSEr) that I didn't do so.

The Captcha was quite standard though, a multi-pane mosaic with tickable boxes awaiting Big Tick verification. The intercept was undertaken by CloudFlare (sorry, not 'Cloudfire' as I mis-typed earlier) acting as agent of moneysavingexpert.com and denying access to "the property" (i.e., website) which CloudFlare represented.

(CloudFlare seems to figure in quite a few Internet discussions: DDG if you're interested.)

This PC's running fine with an interlocking defensive system of real-time Malwarebytes Premium 2.2.1.1043 / v2017.02.10.05 -- I haven't been tempted by version 3.0 yet -- Scotty PRO for back up (sorry, WinPatrol), and Avira AV. All three play nicely together, no conflicts or slow-downs or system hit.

So, um, it looks to me that this was a genuine intercept, albeit the first I've ever encountered with MSE and the first time I've come across CloudFlare, too.
  • S0litaireS0litaire Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    CloudFlare: A company whose whole business model depends on people getting DDoS'ed. (Distributed Denial of Service attacks)

Basically it's a service that sits between your machine and the actual servers hosting the site and tries to stop attacks and to make sure the site is available at all times.

Sometimes CloudFlare has a brain-fart and thinks your browser is part of an attack so it asks you to confirm you are human or it thinks your browser has been hijacked by malware.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    S0litaire wrote: »
    CloudFlare: A company whose whole business model depends on people getting DDoS'ed. (Distributed Denial of Service attacks)

Basically it's a service that sits between your machine and the actual servers hosting the site and tries to stop attacks and to make sure the site is available at all times.

Sometimes CloudFlare has a brain-fart and thinks your browser is part of an attack so it asks you to confirm you are human or it thinks your browser has been hijacked by malware.

Thanks, Sol. So-oo . . . for the purposes of clarification, and because it's now clear that I'm not the first MSEr this month to have a post to this site interfered with by CloudFlare:

Is CloudFlare interception being conducted at moneysavingexpert's behest -- that is: is MSE a client of CloudFlare? -- or are these interceptions occurring without MSE's knowledge and consent?

Ta.
    1.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add:

Not that I regard wikipedia as Gospel, but I'm sort of time and it's quickly to hand. The following link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloudflare#Criticism_and_controversies

makes for interesting reading, as does the company's rebuttal here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Cloudflare

Either way, an association of monesyavingexpert with this company seems, well, odd.
  • S0litaireS0litaire Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not really odd...

They do offer a "load balancing" service. so that no single server is getting overloaded on page requests.

Over the years MSE forums have gotten bigger and more people are using them.

Cloudfare lets companies host things like forums on a number of smaller cheaper servers rather than have everyone access single big server.

If set up right you should never see Cloudflare own pages. but it might have gotten a false positive on your browser especially if the plugins have updates recently and it does not recognize them.
    Laters

Sol

"Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get these on various websites if i'm using my VPN service.

If your not knowingly using a VPN, you might have malware that is sending your data via another server somewhere.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi

Don't know why.

I just got one, and it believes that I'm no robot anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals