Printer which takes cheapest ink?

Options

Comments

• atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    Options
    rev_henry wrote: »
    Over the at least 3 years you're there it will work out much more expensive than getting your own printer,

I think the same. It's not like you're going to chuck the printer away after uni either.
  • clinteestwood
    Options
    I would strongly recommend a laser printer like two of the other commentators here. Although they are more money upfront, the overall savings are considerable compared to that of any inkjet. they are also faster at printing, print more pages per drum and i find a lot more robust. Yes, the cartridges/drums look expensive but if you get a generic model they are considerably cheaper and work just as well.

Laser all the way
    I'm not normally a religious man, but... if you're up there, save me, Superman!
  • yorks808
    yorks808 Posts: 613 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been to uni, still am at uni lols. I find using the uni printers is easier. I have 2 24hour libraries at the uni where I am and find the printing costs very reasonable. Its something like 2p/A4 page and therefore 4p for a double sided A4
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 April 2011 at 12:46PM
    Options
    I bought a canon 3 in 1 before I want to uni almost 3 years ago cost me £16?

I replaced the cartridges once, but £30 + for both is a lot of money, So I went on ebay and bought 100mls of the 4 inks and 4 syringes with blunt needles, cost me under a tenner delivered.

I've refilled both the colour and black 3 times now and its still printing in what I deem to reasonable quality, eventually though, since the print heads are on the cartridges I will need to buy replacements. The quality is good, not quite as defined at the original cartridge but I think this is probably mainly due to the ink being less viscous than it should be than anything else. I've never been marked down for the quality of my printing, its not perfect but its not something you would really notice without comparing it to the original.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but its really not a difficult or messy thing to do and as a student its saving me around £60 a year which I can definitely do better things with :beer:

And honestly I have no idea how any student can survive without their own printer, if I'm up till the early hours of the morning finishing a report the last worry I need is how I'm going to get in and print it off before it needs handed in. When I had hand written assignments I used to scan them all onto the computer too - trust me if you find yourself with a mark if zero cause "It was never received" its handy to have a digital copy.
  • Jennikay
    Jennikay Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose it's different for everyone - I do maths/comp science so I don't need to be printing things off - only had two reports this year and they were electronic submissions. I also get free printing credit within my department buildings - though it's mainly been used for delay repay forms (and house renting stuff) this year ;)
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    aheetun wrote: »
    I've been to uni, still am at uni lols. I find using the uni printers is easier. I have 2 24hour libraries at the uni where I am and find the printing costs very reasonable. Its something like 2p/A4 page and therefore 4p for a double sided A4

2p a sheet is quite good. My Uni charge 5p a sheet black and white or 25p a sheet for colour which is a rip off really. My Inkjet works out about 7p a sheet colour and the Uni has lasers so it must be even cheaper for them to run.
  • yorks808
    yorks808 Posts: 613 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yea its pretty good at my uni, hence why I didnt take my own printer when I came to uni; besides I didnt have the space to carry it! Its something like 7p/colour print which is pretty good too.
  • jazzman1_2
    Options
    Be careful what ink you use to refill your cartridges with! Bad ink can block the print heads and ruin the printer. I recently saw a new type of ink called Lubrink which contains a special lubricant designed to help prevent this problem.
  • yarora
    yarora Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    I personally have a HP, but I would definitely recommend a Canon, since there cartridges are very cheap. As a recommendation, I do agree that refills are the way to go :T My experience of buying a £1.49 (all inclusive) refill kit with 4 bottles of black ink, letting me fill 20ish cartridges, with good printing, really does trigger something, when you compare the commercial and printer-friendly cartridges ranging for £20 a bob. :money::j
    A teenager, and a budding journalist on aviation and finance. :money:
    £25,000 with HSBC | £1,500 with NatWest | £5,600 with Yorkshire Building Society :j
  • laurylaury
    Options
    I'd recommend a laser printer too, I bought a Samsung mono laser printer for about £50. The toner cartridges are quite pricey, I spent £42 on one from amazon but the last one I bought lasted 2 years and I print articles for uni quite often.
    £2013 in 2013 / £353.22 /£2013 so far
    Quidco: £53.15, Swagbucks: £30, Other: £27 AGC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family