We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Moving home and to fixed price supplier at the same time

ydrol2
ydrol2 Posts: 74 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Hi I've moved home from BR1 to TN1 and outgoing vendor was on a BG dual tariff.

Whats the best way to decided on a fixed tariff from flowEnergy when moving hose at the same time as switching? I guess just call the energy company ?

Some more info:

I expect new bills to be higher? but no idea how much. I have energy certificate for new home : rating (E/51) Estimate costs for 3 years = £3,654

My last BR1 bills for Scottish Power were £615 gas, £768 leccy on Standard Tarrif- so about £1400 pa, but could have been around £1150 on a fixed tariff I think. (yeah silly me!)

Both properties are mid-terrace and have similary specced Worcester Bosch boilers that are only about 5 years old.

In old property I was with Scottish Power in a double glazed 2 bedroom prewar mid terrace. with cavity wall insulation.

In new property, I would like to use FlowEnergy, however the new property seems a lot less energy efficient than my old one . New one is Victorian 3 bed in a conservation area, bags of character but draughty and only half the windows are double glazed (with what simply looks like air gap to retain original sash frames), other half are single glazed at present.
There is no wall insulation , and I would be wary of getting any on this type pf property TBH.
«1

Comments

  • razord
    razord Posts: 566 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You need to find out who is the current supplier at the new property. You have to first join them in order to be able to switch.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    I am sure that you know, but when you move in you are on a Deemed Contract with the existing supplier. Call them with your details and meter readings and ask them for the historical EAC(electricity) and AQ(gas) and use these figures as the basis for doing a comparison. Once you have informed the Deemed Supplier that you exist, you are free to switch. The Deemed Supplier will charge you for energy supplier up to the actual dates of transfer.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ydrol2 wrote: »
    Hi I've moved home from BR1 to TN1 and outgoing vendor was on a BG dual tariff.

    Whats the best way to decided on a fixed tariff from flowEnergy when moving hose at the same time as switching? I guess just call the energy company ?

    Some more info:

    I expect new bills to be higher? but no idea how much. I have energy certificate for new home : rating (E/51) Estimate costs for 3 years = £3,654

    My last BR1 bills for Scottish Power were £615 gas, £768 leccy on Standard Tarrif- so about £1400 pa, but could have been around £1150 on a fixed tariff I think. (yeah silly me!)

    Both properties are mid-terrace and have similary specced Worcester Bosch boilers that are only about 5 years old.

    In old property I was with Scottish Power in a double glazed 2 bedroom prewar mid terrace. with cavity wall insulation.

    In new property, I would like to use FlowEnergy, however the new property seems a lot less energy efficient than my old one . New one is Victorian 3 bed in a conservation area, bags of character but draughty and only half the windows are double glazed (with what simply looks like air gap to retain original sash frames), other half are single glazed at present.
    There is no wall insulation , and I would be wary of getting any on this type pf property TBH.

    Why have you decided to switch to Flow Energy?

    If you don't even know which of their tariffs would be the cheapest for you, then presumably you also have no idea what their cost would be compared to the rest of the market.

    Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you ... and if you still decide to go with Flow, it will also tell you their cheapest option for you. You might even be able to pocket some cashback too! :money:
  • ydrol2
    ydrol2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    footyguy wrote: »
    Why have you decided to switch to Flow Energy?

    If you don't even know which of their tariffs would be the cheapest for you, then presumably you also have no idea what their cost would be compared to the rest of the market.

    Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you ... and if you still decide to go with Flow, it will also tell you their cheapest option for you. You might even be able to pocket some cashback too! :money:

    Thanks I already checked a comparison website:

    - though I was using my numbers from my old house. Though flow was the best for my old location, when inputting my old consumption against my new location , Among the best for new location are Bulb and Tonik then flow (taking Customer Service and membership of Easy Switch into account).
  • ydrol2
    ydrol2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    I am sure that you know, but when you move in you are on a Deemed Contract with the existing supplier. Call them with your details and meter readings and ask them for the historical EAC(electricity) and AQ(gas) and use these figures as the basis for doing a comparison. Once you have informed the Deemed Supplier that you exist, you are free to switch. The Deemed Supplier will charge you for energy supplier up to the actual dates of transfer.

    Thanks. If outgoing vendor was family of 4 with 2 small children, and we are a couple, whose numbers are more relevant to get an idea of annual usage, my old consumption or previous meter reading at the property. I'm not sure how to baseline this. Maybe I'm overthinking it!
  • ydrol2
    ydrol2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    razord wrote: »
    You need to find out who is the current supplier at the new property. You have to first join them in order to be able to switch.

    Thanks, I'm trying to baseline annual consumption to determine who to switch to, as I'm fairly sure staying with British Gas (current supplier) is not the cheaper option for the year.

    Previous vendors consumption is for family of 4 + 2 kids.
    My consumption is for 2 adults in a different house.

    Should I just switch to a variable contract for year 1 before going fixed then next year ? What happens if you go fixed and under-estimate consumption ?
  • berries
    berries Posts: 133 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    I am sure that you know, but when you move in you are on a Deemed Contract with the existing supplier. Call them with your details and meter readings and ask them for the historical EAC(electricity) and AQ(gas) and use these figures as the basis for doing a comparison. Once you have informed the Deemed Supplier that you exist, you are free to switch. The Deemed Supplier will charge you for energy supplier up to the actual dates of transfer.

    Thank you for this too. I shall be moving soon too . This has helped me out. House that I'm buying is a 3 bedroom semi detached.
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ydrol2 wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm trying to baseline annual consumption to determine who to switch to, as I'm fairly sure staying with British Gas (current supplier) is not the cheaper option for the year.

    Previous vendors consumption is for family of 4 + 2 kids.
    My consumption is for 2 adults in a different house.

    Should I just switch to a variable contract for year 1 before going fixed then next year ? What happens if you go fixed and under-estimate consumption ?

    You pay less. The only things that are fixed are time, standing charge and unit price. FWiW, I run my comparisons at 10000kWhs/year for gas and 3000kWhs/year for electricity. I then run them again at +/- 15% just to see if the best deal changes. Standard variable tariffs are much more expensive than fixed.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ydrol2
    ydrol2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    You pay less. The only things that are fixed are time, standing charge and unit price..

    Ah thank you! That's where I was going completely wrong. Fixed price is for the price per unit not for the price per annum (which would be completely silly now I think about it). - blush! I was thinking like the Mobile phone data tariffs where you can use up to a certain volume then get penalised if you go over. - doh! Never used a fixed price supplier before ..
  • ydrol2
    ydrol2 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    We've just go the following advice from Bulb:

    Dont switch immediately but

    1. call vendors incumbant supplier - give readings - let then know you will be switching. This is in case these are any disputes etc. Dont sign up to anything.

    2. After a couple of weeks, call Bulb to switch.

    They will start projections based on our previous usage in old home, rather than vendors . Though in this case properties are in a similar ball park..
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.