Forum Home» Green & Ethical MoneySaving

Great Ways To Save Money And Turn Green Hunt - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search

Great Ways To Save Money And Turn Green Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
142 replies 34.9K views

Replies

• does anyone know where i can get cheap energy saving light bulbs. our old standard light bulbs are slowly dying, so it's time to replace them, hopefully without injuring my bank balance too much!!
    thanks!
  • Just been up to have a look. I don't know if it's french, but the lever lifts a plunger in a small "tower" and here is a large tower next to it. Didn't see any tubing but the water is blue so I may have missed it.

The tank does sit on the back of the pan too.

Between the float ball, tower and flushing mechanism there is not a gap big enough to squeeze a one pint milk bottle through.

That sounds like a syphon mechanism in a small water saving tank, so that should NOT dribble in theory(?!?) It is also close coupled; the posh versions of close coupling have a small pipe connected to the "S" bend, so as well as the flush "pushing" the pipe "sucks" to give an effective quiet flush for those embarrassing situations where listening to others flushing is not wanted.

Sorry I cannot explain your problem.

If the loo and its tank is branded you might be able to get advice by posting your problem on (say) the "Screwfix" forum.
  • geordie_joegeordie_joe Forumite
    9.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    harryhound wrote: »

If the loo and its tank is branded you might be able to get advice by posting your problem on (say) the "Screwfix" forum.

Thanks, just been up and checked and it appears to be a Caradon with a model number next to the name.

I've also just noticed that there is no overflow!!!!!!

There's a hole in the tank for an overflow pipe but the tank is right up against the wall with nothing attached to the tank.
    DPJames wrote: »
    You are never wrong about anything.
  • PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
    9.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wash your sheets & towels every fortnight rather than every week. This will save the equivalent electricity of 26 machine washes a year - more if you tumble dry them as well.
  • Thanks, just been up and checked and it appears to be a Caradon with a model number next to the name.

I've also just noticed that there is no overflow!!!!!!

There's a hole in the tank for an overflow pipe but the tank is right up against the wall with nothing attached to the tank.

Perhaps the installer rigged up an overflow to dribble into the pan? That is almost certainly against the regulations, as you only need to drive round the average housing estate to find a fair few householders who cannot be bothered to get a leaking washer fixed; even when the water is dripping down the side of the house and wrecking the look of the wall.
  • razor555 wrote: »
    does anyone know where i can get cheap energy saving light bulbs. our old standard light bulbs are slowly dying, so it's time to replace them, hopefully without injuring my bank balance too much!!
    thanks!

Hi,

Saw Phillips Energy saving Light Bulbs in Homebase last weekend, buy one get one free and also it was a 10% off day, and I think they were in the region of £1.90 each. May be worth checking out...

Gemini21
  • I dry all of our laundry on airers in the garage until nearly dry. Then I finish off in the tumble drier and fold or hang to avoid ironing. Average drier load take 10-15 mins. Shampoo bottles, handcream,conditioner,hair gels etc I cut of the end to get the last few drops out-usually enough for about 6 applications! Soapnuts for the laundry. I put the heating on when its neaded-I overide the timer. Fill up flasks with boiling water rather than heating up kettles over and over. Electric blankets are cheap to keep you warm at night. I rarely need to heat the bedroom. I use a dehumidfier to make sure it never gets damp and only heat it occasionally as needed before bed. Oilfilled radiators keep their heat for a long time and so are more economical than fan heaters.
    In the bathroom I dry myself with a flannel before the towel so im not left with soggy towels and it saves on washing and drying as the towel is really hardly used.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • mum2onemum2one Forumite
    16.3K posts
    Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    razor555 wrote: »
    does anyone know where i can get cheap energy saving light bulbs. our old standard light bulbs are slowly dying, so it's time to replace them, hopefully without injuring my bank balance too much!!
    thanks!

Dont know if you have any of these stores near you, cheap bulbs

Netto
    Wilkinson
    Morrisons had some realy cheap.

x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • HugoSPHugoSP Forumite
    2.5K posts
    co_co wrote: »
    Could we please have a simple item on building a solar panel.One of the outdoor centres in Fife did one several years ago, but to my knowledge has not been repeated.I was first reserve for the course, so missed it.There must be a simple way of building these?
    Corrieicon14.gif

I've not done it but apparently one idea that works that works is an old radiator painted matt black set behind a pane of glass. Then water is pumped through it and into your HW cylinder.

I guess you'd need toughened glass or the conservatory roof type glass.

I'd be interested to know if this works. It was an idea that I saw at the Eco House in Leicester some years back.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • HugoSPHugoSP Forumite
    2.5K posts
    harryhound wrote: »
    Perhaps the installer rigged up an overflow to dribble into the pan? That is almost certainly against the regulations, as you only need to drive round the average housing estate to find a fair few householders who cannot be bothered to get a leaking washer fixed; even when the water is dripping down the side of the house and wrecking the look of the wall.

There's no rigging about it. That is how the close coupled toilets are designed these days. Instead of the traditional syphon there is a large valve that opens when the lever is pushed and the water from the cistern is allowed to rush into the pan. There is also a pipe running the entire height of this valve that is open at the top. Hence if the water does overflow it simply flows down the inside of this valve and into the pan.

It's a little difficult to explain, but next time you are in a DIY store have a look at the systems.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl: