Real Life, Dating and Money!

Options

Comments

• Littlebirdie
    Options
    So I've started hating Fridays. After work I find it such an anti climax having a busy week and then just going home. I thought last week I was just tired but again tonight I was bored. I literally was wondering the streets looking to spend money. The thought of going home and doing nothing just filled me with dread yet I didnt want to do anything with friends because its usually expensive. So we cant please me:rotfl:

I went for a coffee and popcorn, then I ate out - even though I had defrosed something! Urgh It was only £5.80....they had the cheek to add on service charge for a takeaway! I challenged them and luckily they took it off. It was only £0.86p but still. I tried so hard to resist it but I just went for it. Then I went and bought a dessert but this was only £2. I was also going to be really organised and get all the food shopping for the week but I just could not be arsed. The risk is that I'll have to go to the more expensive shop but I'll try and avoid it. So again lots of little spends to 'pick' me up. But overall I'm cool.

This weekend could be spendy. I'm going to buy my tickets inadvance to save £5. I had a look into the cashback ones but they have a booking fee so no point. So I'll be eating out lunch and dinner on Sat and then Sunday I'll make all meals indoors.
    To staying out of debt!
    Credit card (Nov 2018):£894.60 . Emergency fund: £2000/3000
  • Littlebirdie
    Options
    So the consequences of buying things I can't afford this month is that I borrow from my little piggy banks. The only thing is it seems like too much hassle (silly I know) to make all the direct debits back. So basically what I'm going to do is any of spends put on my credit card and then pay. Then my piggy banks are not being affected and I pay back from my actual salary. I feel better for getting that out! :)
    To staying out of debt!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,096 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Littlebirdie,

I've just been reading your diary and you seem to be doing the things it occurred to me to recommend! One difference I can see between your generation and mine (my daughter's in her 20s) is the coffee shop culture but I entirely agree with you - it's a lovely little treat and if we can at all afford it and it helps life run a little more smoothly, then why not?

I saw what you said about the cosiness of coffee shops... I wondered if you've come across 'hygge'? If not it might be worth looking into as a way of creating that cosiness/safe feeling at home. There are lots of books and articles around to inspire you.

Lastly, I noticed you are using Spending Tracker but when I looked it Up (could do with it) I can see two versions. Is yours the one with the wallet picture or the blue logo?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Jacko_amz
    Jacko_amz Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    I am so glad i hate coffee/tea as i would forever be in starbucks/Costa. I like the advert at the moment for Mc Donalds coffee, its so true 'that'll be £9 please' that is one expensive coffee!
    Tesco Loan - 9177
  • Littlebirdie
    Options
    Hey Cherry fudge your so right about the coffee shops - they are my little luxury. I enjoy sitting in a coffee shop more than I do a pub. Funnily enough we do have a hyge book in the house and I thought I was doing it but I'll have a look again and see if I can make any more cosy habits!

Ah I love the little spending tracker - mine is the one with the wallet.

Hey Jacko_amz

Ha that's bloomin lucky! Coffee is a coffee shop use to be a big treat for me and now it's lost that touch so I'm really considering giving it up for a month to learn to live without it and appreciate it again. I've also stopped getting tea from coffee shops because the teabags are rubbish!
    To staying out of debt!
  • Littlebirdie
    Options
    So get paid on Friday. Theoretically no more spends so this is the month end:
    Food week 2 £81.94 - Budget £30

Yup so the cost of hosting!

Expensive travel: £ 75.20 - Budget £0

Although to be fair I sometimes use my holiday fund. This includes my coach to the airport next month (cashback received) and also I had a week off so that was expensive.

Birthday gifts: £74.77 - £20

So babies need lots of gifts. The truth is I LOVE buying gifts but I think I'm going to have to challenge this one.

Eating out: £74.42 - Budget £20

So yeah the A/L didn't help!

Alcohol/pub: £64.27 - budget £50

Urgh hate this. Dating is expensive

Travel: £45.80 - budget: £50

Hmm this is good
    To staying out of debt!
  • Littlebirdie
    Options
    Clothes and shoes: £47.45 - budget: £ 30

And this is spreading the cost of a few spends over the months.

Coffee shops: £40.80 - budget £25

Such a big big weakness

Eating on the go £35.85 - budget £20

There is no excuse for this - I have to start being more organsied

Food week 4: £30.84 Budget £30

Had a friend round which added £8

Food week 1: £21.25 budget: £30

Wahay!

Food week 5: £14.85 Budget £0

I basically didn't plan for it

Work lunch/food for work: £9.67 - Budget £10

This is me basically buying fruit on the way to work

Make up and beauty £8.30 - budget £25

This is good and also helped that I bought some mouth wash on my loyalty card

food week 3 - £5.67
    Such a good week- I need more of these!
    To staying out of debt!
  • Littlebirdie
    Options
    So as we can see it has been a terrible month money wise. Right next month must be better
    To staying out of debt!
  • ab_saver
    ab_saver Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    That's a really useful exercise for your budget - and you've identified the source - being off. I prefer to budget over a month so that 3 weeks with my nose to the grindstone counteract one week of excess!

I realise I never replied to your comment about the nespresso machine - the answer to that is in my opinion the coffee is as good as in a coffee shop. They aren't very MSE really as even the most basic one can be about £60 and more with a milk frother. If you leave near a nespresso shop you can just walk into a shop and try a coffee for free- there's loads to choose from. I really like having the milk frother as it means I can have latte/cappuccino coffees with coffee made in the Moka pot (a cheaper way of making proper Italian espresso- but more time consuming!).

Now I have so many options for lovely coffee at home I hardly ever buy coffees out - and if so it's rarely at the big national chains.

If it's no longer giving you any pleasure then I like your idea of trying for a month without fancy coffees.
    House fund: ~£5000 / £10,000 :D_£1000 emergency fund #208 - £151.74/ 1000 _
  • Littlebirdie
    Options
    Hey ab_saver

Yeah you're right and also I have just need put loads and would never usually do that many things in one month! Hmmm I've never thought about one before but maybe when I've got my own home I will consider one then - they seem like a wicked present to ask for!
    To staying out of debt!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport