New to investments - monthly payments

13»

Comments

• Bravepants
    Bravepants Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    My current strategy is to use VLS 60% and Fidelity World Index to make up 70% stocks and 30% bonds, since Vanguard don't do a VLS 70. When I turn 50 in a couple of years I may dump the World Index into VLS 60 too.

P
    If you want to be rich, live like you're poor; if you want to be poor, live like you're rich.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 February 2017 at 8:41PM
    this approach is performance chasing, i.e. picking whatever's done well recently.
    Did you select the funds with the worst performance at the time then? Of course not.
    Reasons Fidelity > LS:
    1. Consistency: Weighted by market cap so geographic allocations unlikely to change much. LS is basically whatever they predict will be a good % allocation to each of their index trackers with UK % changing quite a lot since exception. With LS you're hoping their team are smarter than the average active portfolio in determining geographic allocations
    2. Cost: 0.13% vs 0.22%
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2017 at 11:38PM
    Dird wrote: »
    Did you select the funds with the worst performance at the time then? Of course not.

yes, sometimes :) ... it all depends why they've done badly. for instance, if it's because the charges are very high, then that will always be a drag on performance, so it's a good reason to steer clear. but if it's because the area / style of investment a fund focuses on has been out of favour, then it may come back into favour (unless it's a "style" that has some serious flaw), and in this case worse performance could even be a good sign, because there can be "reversion to mean" - i.e. laggards may tend to bounce back; though this is not a sure thing.

presumably "UK is pretty !!!!" is a technical way of saying that you expect UK equities to give lower returns than ex-UK equities in the future. there's not much reason to believe that, and certainly not on the basis of the UK having given lower returns in the last 5 years or so. 5 years is a short time in investing.
    Reasons Fidelity > LS:
    1. Consistency: Weighted by market cap so geographic allocations unlikely to change much. LS is basically whatever they predict will be a good % allocation to each of their index trackers with UK % changing quite a lot since exception. With LS you're hoping their team are smarter than the average active portfolio in determining geographic allocations
    that's a better reason.
    2. Cost: 0.13% vs 0.22%
    i thought fidelity index world was 0.15% ... it may depend which site you're looking at.

in any case, not a lot in it. and vanguard are more likely to trim their charges when they can, since they are not-for-profit.

another difference to mention is that the fidelity fund excludes emerging markets. you may prefer that, but it should be a deliberate decision to include or exclude them.

you can also get funds that cover both developed and emerging markets (but are otherwise like the fidelity fund, in the sense that they don't overweight the UK). e.g. vanguard FTSE global all cap (costing 0.24%), or HSBC FTSE all-world (0.20%).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure