Get a grip woman!

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I think it is fairly common for the few years just before retirement for the pension to be moved into less volatile investments like cash or bonds so I am not sure Scottish Widows had any special insight into future stock market performance. Good they did it though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the update, SL, good to know your thinking.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Thanks enthusiasticsaver, some useful insights. I wonder if you would be willing to share how you determined which income funds to go for? Did you receive advice from an IFA? BTW I was not assuming any particular expertise within Scottish Widows, they are well known for being very cautious, but it is reassuring to know that these companies are (probably all) providing cautious advice as we get closer to retirement, and for most of us, our risk profile and indeed risk appetite changes.

With regard to DH, he will retire at the end of August (so he gets paid for the summer holidays) and will get his teachers' pension from 1st September. There will be a moderate lump sum that will go to pay down the mortgage again (we might elect to clear it at that point, or reduce the overpayments back to interest only to minimise draw against our reduced income, and rely on greater return on our capital to outpace the interest we are paying). Our plans for his DC pension were to begin to draw down after the start of the following tax year - so April or May in 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023, possibly in 25% of what is there across the four years. As his teachers' pension is below the PA tax threshold at least about £4k of this will be tax free each year, depending on the rent from the house our Son shares with two friends (for which they pay rent). After the tax year 2023-4 we must consider that DH is due to take his State Pension, so the tax position will change for him, assuming no uber-generous Chancellor increases the PA by several thousand. When he starts to receive his State Pension we might get rid of our share of DS's house, in his favour or by selling it. He might not want to live in the middle of town by then.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    If I were to be looking at dividend income from shares (as explained, this is not my choice, but this might help others who are younger! and do have an appetite for shares in their portfolios) - over the last ten years, the following are the top shares for dividend growth (according to a Times article I saved last Autumn)
    1. Halma
    2. Scottish Mortgage (an investment trust)
    3. Johnson Matthey
    4. Spirax Sarco Engineering
    5. Bunzl
    6. DCC
    7. Sage Group (this might be changing - well worth checking out the changing profile on this one as someone has downgraded it in the last month and they have sold on part of the group)
    8. Imperial Brands Group
    9. British American Tobacco
    10. Vodafone
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    The top ten Investment Trusts for year-on-year dividend over the last ten years (in Dec 18) are:
    1. City of London
    2. Bankers
    3. Alliance Trust
    4. Caledonian Investments
    5. BMO Smaller Companies
    6. F&C
    7. Brunner
    8. JP Morgan Claverhouse
    9. Murray Income
    10. Witan

And for Unit Trusts (a different article in the financial press):
    1. Rathbone Income
    2. Premier Income
    3. Aviva UK Equity Income
    4. Premier Monthly Income
    5. Schroder Income
    6. Franklin UK Equity Income
    7. BMO Responsible UK Income
    8. Jupiter Income
    9. RBS Equity Income
    10. Threadneedle UK Equity Income

Finally (sorry) I have looked at a combination of capital and dividend growth over the last ten years and I think that 2 from the top 4 overall will be my initial choice (bit more research to do first):

Unicorn UK Income
    Chelverton UK Equity Income
    Schroder Income Maximiser
    JO Hambro UK Equity Income
    Montanaro UK Income
    Schroder UK Alpha Income
    Royal London UK Equity Income

The top 4 overall are:
    1. Chelverton UK Equity Income
    2. Unicorn UK Income
    3. Montanaro UK Income
    4. Royal London UK Equity Income

The first three of these concentrate on smaller companies that have done well over the last ten years. All four have experienced teams and take a long-term view with the article authors (2 articles supporting the same position) concluding that experience and patience perform. For me, I like the idea that the funds have experienced managers and analysts that will provide continuity of approach.

I also don't want everything I am investing in to be UK based (there is a suggestion that UK is undervalued, hence these recommendations) so I will look at some global funds in the first two groups too. As I say, a bit more research to do before I commit.
  • Starmummy
    Options
    Thanks for this SuffolK!
    I really should understand more about the workings of the stock market given my education ( alas I understand how share values and dividends and company valuations work, but not how to actually trade them)
    I have investments in Alliance and a couple of others. I had read about British American Tobacco being a good punt from a number of sources but for ethical reasons I can't bring myself to invest. I really do need to look into this more and diversify my portfolio.
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks enthusiasticsaver, some useful insights. I wonder if you would be willing to share how you determined which income funds to go for? Did you receive advice from an IFA? BTW I was not assuming any particular expertise within Scottish Widows, they are well known for being very cautious, but it is reassuring to know that these companies are (probably all) providing cautious advice as we get closer to retirement, and for most of us, our risk profile and indeed risk appetite changes.

It sounds like you have a good handle on this and I did lots of research at the time of investing as you are doing. We did see an IFA but did not use him as he made a glaring mistake on his calculations and I could not trust him after that.

The funds I chose were multi asset as I am of the view, rightly or wrongly that they are less volatile, they consistently outperformed the benchmark for 20-60% mixed investment, the charges were not extortionate and they did not ignore capital growth in favour of income exclusively. They also pay out monthly which not all of them do which helps with our budgeting.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would most definitely say do not go for solely UK. I deliberately went global in view of the fact the UK may have a rocky ride economically over the next few years. I think Premier is 26% UK based and Artemis even less than that (around 15%).
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You are right enthusiasticsaver, I need to check out global or emerging markets (the latter tend to be more risky than the former, which are often mostly USA). I definitely have more work to do before I buy.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 February 2019 at 12:02PM
    Options
    £122,852.54 - This was my total debt when I started this diary

DEBTS
    Total [STRIKE]£122,852.54[/STRIKE] £38,140.89 (all mortgage, everything else is done and gone) - that is £84,711.65 or 68.95% paid off so far.

SAVINGS
    £12,663.57 Emergency pot
    £12,438.63 S&S ISA with Fidelity International
    £9,388.93 DH's S&S ISA (with Charles Stanley Direct]
    £11,727.25 - 7 year bond with Skipton BS - matures Oct 20

[STRIKE]£38,630.43[/STRIKE] £46,217.48 Total actual cashable savings and 19.64% better than when I started (our priority is to clear debts)

SURPLUS £8,076.59 (against debts)

I hate paying interest and so we will continue to pay down as fast as we can, while living our lives. Our daily interest rate is back to just under £2 a day now - all on the mortgage

I received my last pay last week, and my TFLS for my pension arrived on Tuesday, enabling me to transfer £20k to pay down the mortgage, and around £19k to instant savings, and on to the other CA so that DH can take advantage of his full ISA allowance (£20k) by topping up his CSD account. That money (and the residue) is sitting in CA so invisible on this update at the moment

Other things for 2019 -

MFiT(T5) - I have signed up to completely clear our mortgage within the next three years.
    MFW in 2019 - I have set a revised £40k target and will post updates here
    Grocery Challenge - I have set a £3000 annual target for the year to include all my stores, all toiletries, groceries and cleaning products. Some but not all cat food and litter - it splits down to 11 months at £200, some for stores and the rest for December, including all the Christmas food and drinks. Alcohol is also included but it seems to breed round here - we have loads lurking Spend is at £247.98 or 8.27% so far
    Save £12k in 2019 - I have set a target of £7k. As I am finishing work it will be lower
    Weight I would like to have lost a stone from Christmas by Easter. I was going to log my food here but have already failed to do this and I keep having things like a bit of (Christmas) Stollen bite with a cup of tea in the afternoon. I must brave the cold and get outside more, that will stop this
    Garden - what a mess. Still. Signed up on the All new growing your own in 2019 thread in Green-Fingered. I have bought seed potatoes, onion sets and ordered seeds so far. Need to do serious digging cutting and weeding. Half term week allows both of us to do lots
    Leisure - Booked parts of a trip to Italy - more to confirm
    Friends and Family - My Mum is increasingly disappointed that she is not so fit these days, and it gets her down. Telling her she is nearly 90 does not help. DS has been invited to join one of his favourite bands and is re-enthused and full of improved self-esteem. Who cares if they don't make any money!
    Health and Wellbeing - I definitely have some tendonitis in my right shoulder/arm/elbow. Regular walk with the neighbour's dog is my first step towards improved fitness
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure