Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Pops up from lurking to say that if you are posting on an apple device (iPhone, iPad) then if you go to settings and keyboard you can turn of smart punctuation and it should solve the formatting problem. Has been an issue on the forum for a while.

Enjoy your holiday. Sometimes just being away from usual routine can create some headspace to help you start dealing with other things.

Thank you! I will sort out my settings on my phone. Usually I post from my laptop so haven't encountered this before.

It was very good to get away and have that space. I'm feeling a lot more capable now!
    I hope you're enjoying your break away Duchess. Sounds so very MSE as well!

I had a good time, thank you :) Just totting up the expenditure now (I need to wait for a couple of card transactions to clear so I can see the damage!)
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Back again! I've had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad year. As well as the traumatic events earlier this year, we have been caring for a relative with a terminal illness who passed away earlier this month. We each had to take a lot of time off work, which hit us hard as DH is a self employed and although we had great support from hospice staff, there was not much support from the rest of the family and we had to navigate some really awful scenes towards the end.

I felt the need to get back to my diary because I really need a touchstone in all the chaos. Especially at this time of year, I feel like there is so much pressure to buy, buy, buy at this time of year, and honestly the prospect of Christmas makes me feel stressed, guilty, drained and depressed. It is so good to check back in with the DFW Diaries and see likeminded people who are trying to navigate the ups and downs, without blowing their DFW targets out of the water.

I'm not sure about posting debt totals at the moment. I think I need some time to come to terms with everything first and then I will use this diary to help navigate from here back to "normal life".
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    It's good to see you back Georgiana, but I'm so sorry to hear the sad news of your relative and what must have been a very sad and stressful time for you and your OH.

In view of the above perhaps a low key Christmas this year? - especially as your OH's income has been badly affected.

Take your time with regards to your postings - I look forward to reading them in due course.
    x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Good to see you posting but sorry to read of your troubles.
  • CrazyMoose9324
    Options
    Sending loads of good vibes your way as you continue your journey!
    CC1 - $1700 Paid off Nov 29, 2018
    Debt Remaining - $23500
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your traumatic year GC, but it's lovely to see you posting again.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Hey Georgina ! So sorry to hear of your present situation .
    Strange as it might be , things can only improve after the dust has settled . I would say that you should do what you and your other half want to do at Christmas and put yourselves first .
    It's only a big fuss for 1-2 days at the end of the day imho. Having said that , if you can afford to do what you normally would at Christmas and not be too had on yourselves , you could always get back to cutting down next year as usual when you will be more focused after what you've been going through.

Wishing you all the best :)
  • ChasingSunshine
    Options
    Hey Georgiana, sorry to hear about your relative. It is good to see you back posting though it sounds like you and OH have been put through the mill recently. It's understandable with all that has been going on that Christmas is not the most appealing thing to think about at the moment. Easier said than done but just focus on your and your OH at the moment. People will understand that you are not in the festive spirit.

Take your time with posting about your money situation. This is your diary and it doesn't have to be focused on your debt. If it helps to talk about completely unrelated things while you get back in the habit of posting and are gathering your thoughts then it is serving its function.

Wishing you all the best x
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,856 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad to see you posting again, but so sorry to hear about the terrible time you've been having.

Agree with the others that Christmas has to be taken at your pace ie don't feel pressured into spending loads of money... if you have to give gifts make them 'token' ones, anyone who doesn't understand isn't worth bothering about.
    Really hope that things start to improve for you soon. ((hugs)) X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How are you doing, GC? Thinking of you and hope you're doing ok.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport