Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!

Options

Comments

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations on your great progress.
    You mentioned saving for a deposit as a goal once df. So renting a more expensive place with the increased travel and running costs would put that back much further. Is this something you've worked through but think is necessary for extra space as buying just seems too far off, or decided to look at again in a few years? Anyway I'm glad you've put off moving until Dec 19 when perhaps you'll have more of your debt on 0% which will bring your dfd forward even further as more will be coming off the capital and less on interest.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    That sounds incredibly sensible, and will give you such a good chunk of cash behind you when you move. Presumably something like cycling to and from a zone 4 station isn't feasible?

Sadly cycling wouldn't be feasible for me (detest cycling on main roads, I had a very bad accident on my bike when I was in college) and being realistic I don't think DH would do it every day either. We'd end up with creeping travel expenses from "one off" tube journeys.
    Mum2Nan wrote: »
    Was unable to sleep last night so finished reading through your diary. A good read! It does feel good to hit milestones so well done on getting under £30K.

I feel your pain regarding travel expenses. I too work in Zone 1 but live slightly out of the zones so am reliant on Sh*teastern and TLG. I pay for an annual ticket via an interest free STL from work which works out £35 cheaper per month than paying for a monthly ticket. Not sure about TfL if on the tube though. I have also submitted around 8 Delay Repay claims because of the terrible service since the new timetable amounting to around £20. Am still waiting for them to hit my PayPal account. Sorry if this option is not available to you.

I get a season ticket loan from work which is really helpful (first time this year so not sure if I've mentioned it on here before) but DH doesn't get one. I used to be really good at filling out the compensation forms for delayed journeys on TFL but have got out of the habit, I really need to start doing that again! It is much better now that they give you a refund online instead of getting travel vouchers.
    Verbatim wrote: »
    Congratulations on your great progress.
    You mentioned saving for a deposit as a goal once df. So renting a more expensive place with the increased travel and running costs would put that back much further. Is this something you've worked through but think is necessary for extra space as buying just seems too far off, or decided to look at again in a few years? Anyway I'm glad you've put off moving until Dec 19 when perhaps you'll have more of your debt on 0% which will bring your dfd forward even further as more will be coming off the capital and less on interest.

We've worked through it but we can't put it off for longer than the end of next year because we really will need the space. But as you say, hopefully we can continue shifting the debt onto 0% between now and then.
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello Duchess! :wave:

My mind boggles at your list of debt. I am very impressed you are keeping such a good track on everything. Keep on keeping on (except for the toiletries - that's only going to lead you down the wrong spendy path! :D)
    Debt: £11,640.02 paid in full! DFD: 30/06/20
    Starter Emergency Fund (#187): £1000/£1000
    3 month Emergency Fund (#45): £3300/£3300
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Hello Duchess! :wave:

My mind boggles at your list of debt. I am very impressed you are keeping such a good track on everything. Keep on keeping on (except for the toiletries - that's only going to lead you down the wrong spendy path! :D)

Thank you! :) Haha, yes the toiletries stockpiling has stopped! I've realised that there is a fine line between keeping track of what we have and taking advantage of genuine bargains when they come up and stockpiling for the sake of scratching my shopping itch! One thing that helped me is using MySupermarket and keeping an eye on the prices for things, if I know that for example the fabric softener we use is on special offer at least once a month then it stops me panic buying 5 packs when I notice it during my weekly shop :)
  • PositiveBalance
    PositiveBalance Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 June 2018 at 11:51PM
    Options
    Thank you! :) Haha, yes the toiletries stockpiling has stopped! I've realised that there is a fine line between keeping track of what we have and taking advantage of genuine bargains when they come up and stockpiling for the sake of scratching my shopping itch! One thing that helped me is using MySupermarket and keeping an eye on the prices for things, if I know that for example the fabric softener we use is on special offer at least once a month then it stops me panic buying 5 packs when I notice it during my weekly shop :)

That's very true. My local little supermarket had a sale on such things and toilet paper at the beginning of the year and I stocked up. It's taking forever to get through so perhaps I stocked up a bit much! :eek: I've probably got a two year supply of toilet roll at this rate (but I'll have guests later in the year so perhaps not)!

I think I got a bit bargain-happy. I'll have to remember that for next time!
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I wish I could stockpile a little more when bargains come up on indispensables like loo roll - alas my storage space is very limited. Our local council supplies us with free plastic bags for refuse/recycling etc. I came home the other day to find a cardboard box outside my front door filled with different coloured sacks! They've given us a year's supply all at once, but I'm finding it hard to store them all!:eek:
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's great that your council do that.
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Working my way through your diary but just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying it, and loving the fact you are honest about your struggles. Its really helpful for someone like me who can easily lose my mojo over things. Looking forward to continuing to follow your journey.

We also rent, very expensively, but for us, it is a matter of schools, so the place we rent is (as well as being lovely), in the catchment for excellent primary and secondary schools and 2 minutes from work. We could move 7 miles down the road and save over 300 per month on rent, but for us, the difference in schools is just not worth it.
  • PositiveBalance
    Options
    I wish I could stockpile a little more when bargains come up on indispensables like loo roll - alas my storage space is very limited. Our local council supplies us with free plastic bags for refuse/recycling etc. I came home the other day to find a cardboard box outside my front door filled with different coloured sacks! They've given us a year's supply all at once, but I'm finding it hard to store them all!:eek:

As Georgina says, there's a balance to everything. I think I've gone a bit too far this time. I need to find the balance...like your council! :p
  • GeorgianaCavendish
    Options
    Gemsy81 wrote: »
    Working my way through your diary but just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying it, and loving the fact you are honest about your struggles. Its really helpful for someone like me who can easily lose my mojo over things. Looking forward to continuing to follow your journey.

We also rent, very expensively, but for us, it is a matter of schools, so the place we rent is (as well as being lovely), in the catchment for excellent primary and secondary schools and 2 minutes from work. We could move 7 miles down the road and save over 300 per month on rent, but for us, the difference in schools is just not worth it.

Thank you Gemsy! It's really nice to hear that my diary has been helpful for you, I'm trying to be honest about my struggles (even though I did hide away for a few months during the worst of them :o ) instead of using this as a highlight reel. The early days of my diary were so helpful for me to get my head in order and even though I try to deny it, sometimes I need a kick up the bum to keep on being MSE.

I totally understand your decision over renting. At the moment we're in a tiny flat, with no balcony, no outside space (communal or otherwise) and right on top of a tube/national rail station. Even though it is cheaper, I feel like our quality of life suffers massively from not having outside space and from the constant light and noise pollution from the rail station (last night I was woken up 8 times because their announcement system was going bonkers and kept telling everyone to evacuate the station :mad: ). I know that moving will increase our expenses and put back our DFD but it will massively improve our lives in other areas. We have to move outwards because there is no way we can afford a bigger place in our current location, and although this area is ok for now, it is getting really overbuilt and crammed so I don't think a bigger place would bring the more peaceful lifestyle we're craving.
    Only 18 months until we get there! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure