PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Friday 27 January 2017

nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 27 January 2017 at 7:21AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Friday 27 January 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need them x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Still dark here, but very very cold and frosty - we may have had a few flurries of snow too, but not much.

DH up and gone to work, DS1 now getting ready and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night in the end was egg, bacon, sausage, potatoes, mushrooms and beans, ice cream for dessert for those that wanted some. Tonight I'm not sure, I tried to get haggis yesterday (a bit late I know) everywhere had sold out, but am assured they stock it all year round now, and they are expecting another delivery so will try again today, if not I'm doing the food shopping this morning so will organise something else. I have written a menu and done the shopping list too - my bro and SIL are visiting this weekend and he's cooking chinese on Sat night at mum and dad's, so he's asked me to do desserts, I'm thinking apple strudel and need something else - so need to get that organised this afternoon.

Yesterday I was reasonably productive - I got the washing, and drying done, there's a small pile of ironing, I did a quick clean round with the hoover and cleaned both bathrooms, finding now how much easier keeping on top of it all is, as the hot spot areas that were a mess until I cleared them are much better. Today the plan is to go food shopping first thing, put a wash on if there's enough to make a load, do the ironing, then decide about the desserts and make them although I may make a decision shortly and check the ingredients etc.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning All

Freezing cold this morning, I'll have to scrape the car before I go to work. Early finish for me, I have a cheque to pay into the bank on my way home, love Fridays!

Did a big white wash last night, takes ages but it's on the pulley and should be dry by this afternoon, I'll get the ironing done to keep it up to date.

My friend from work is receiving treatment, her OH is keeping me up to date but she understandably doesn't want any visitors at the moment. We are struggling to think of a gift for her as they don't allow flowers and she has enough toiletries, any ideas?

Hope you are all ok, have a good Friday, take care. XX
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Morning all.

Awake since just after 4 this morning. I've just made a cup of tea and got back into bed with it. About the only company I get in bed...my Hot Water Bottle, laptop and a cup of tea :rotfl:

I very rarely eat potatoes but had some left from a bag given to me by a neighbour, so last night I made HM oven chips which were yummy and made a change. Had them with HM coleslaw, bread and butter and a dollop of ketchup...pure comfort food.

Got work today and had planned to do my weekly clean tonight, but it may have to wait till tomorrow as I may be too tired. Got a lot on my mind :( and I think that is why I'm not sleeping..ho hum, such is life.

Have a good day all and take care :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Morning folks. Just a quickie from me. The 3 DGDs to feed, water and get ready for school. (Sounds an easy task when I say it quickly!) The middle one to pick back up again at 12.00 to take to the chaperone who is taking her to today's panto performances. A hot lunch to eat in the car and a pack up for tea needed. Then the other two to pick back up at 3.15 and bring here for tea and sleepover. Middle one will be brought back this evening after the performances.

Lunches, pack ups and tea yet to be decided. I was shattered last night by the time we had got them to bed and cba thinking about it! Washing three lots of waist length hair in the swimming baths showers, and trying to keep dry myself, was a performance in itself and left me soaked and stressed out. Pizzas and oven chips thrown in the oven when we got back.

I was going to fit in the Friday clean amongst the running around but I feel this may not happen! Have a good day if you can and hugs to all the poorlies, worried and sad. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Morning all,

Very cold and frosty here again, off to work for me but at least its Friday, DD is off out tonight so OH and I might treat ourselves to a takeaway, I shall be having a large glass of wine with whatever we have.

Will crack on and do housework / shopping tomorrow although we don't need much.

I have discovered there was a leper colony locally years ago and there is a leper window on a local church, I want to go and have a look at it this weekend and see if I can find out any more info.

Camelot how about buying something for her kids instead ? maybe something like some premium bonds, something they can keep ? xx

Have good days all xx
  • TiredTrophy
    TiredTrophy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Camelot 1001.....how about an audio book? A light comedy...I don't recall her details, but if she has a listening device and headphones, the ward would receed.....Kept me sane when I was last in hospital.
    It's less effort full than reading a book and you can just go back to where you fell asleep!
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,757 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 January 2017 at 5:54PM
    Camelot, when my friend was having chemo I sent her something different every week. Socks - chemo makes you feel the cold, a bracelet, a funny book.....and I wrote a little note with each one.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's cold here this morning, I am drinking my early morning bucket of tea and planning my day. I woke up again in the middle of the night and stayed up for a few hours and when I eventually went back to bed, DD16 woke me as she was feeling unwell. I am thinking a nana nap is definitely on the cards.

I had an unexpected visit from the grand kids yesterday evening. Their mum had an interview to go to and her husband was at the hospital with his friend. I gave the kids some tea and they claimed all the chicks I had knitted for their friends and themselves. I will be on a mission to make some more as my friend wanted some too. The only thing is it really hurts my shoulder to knit at the moment so I can only make a couple of chicks a day. Good job Easter is quite late this year.

I'm not quite sure what to make for tea tonight. I want to make a bolognese but I usually pack it full of courgettes and an aubergine as well as the usual peppers, mushrooms, onion and tomatoes but there is still no sign of any courgettes or aubergines in our tesco. I use them every week in various meals and it is a pain not having them.

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning everyone,

Cold with a hard frost this morning.

Yesterday was reasonably productive and a decent amount was cleared out of the bungalow, I now have four boxes of various bit and pieces to sort out over the weekend. Intend to use it as an opportunity to have a bit of a clear out and re-organise my own cupboards.
    Today I have a meeting at the bank so DOH will come with me and get a haircut whilst I'm in there, we might have a treat of coffee and cake out or lunch depending on the time.

Have a good day everyone, take care folks x
  • Good morning all x
    Well sorry for making so many of you jealous yesterday but just to rub it in lol it was fantastic. Started with back massage then a facial and eyebrow shape. Had a beautiful afternoon tea of finger sandwiches and cakes with a huge pot of tea. Then spent ages in the jacuzzi and steam room. Not the sort of thing I could afford every week but it was a xmas gift from DH so made the most of it. Totally relaxed and stress free day
    Did quorn chicken nuggets for tea last night and they were the same as normal ones.
    DH off work today as he has to go and scatter his df ashes. Did ask him if he wanted me to go along and he said no as it's just gonna be him and his brother doing it.
    So booked an eye test for later and mk are having their job fare in the center so whilst I am there I will have a look.
    Anyhoo better get started on the days jobs.
    Hugs to all in need xx
    Bright Blessings xx
  • Good morning from the cold and frosty midlands. Temperatures are set to rise above freezing later in the day. There were some snow flurries on the other side of the city yesterday afternoon but none here so far.
    I've just had some toast and honey and have another vat of tea.
    I'm now officially off work for a little over a fortnight but have some paperwork to do today, them the laptop is going to sleep quietly in its bag.
    I'll make a chicken and chickpea curry later, spicy food to warm us up.
    Hope everyone has as good day as possible, with love to those who are unwell, sad or worried.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport