PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

DIY Conveyancing - Seller's solicitor won't accept my money

Options

Comments

• diy_er
    Options
    No
    LittleMax wrote: »
    Shame you have binned the idea because the true worth of a good patent lawyer in putting together the claims section would only have been realised if you had ever had cause to take enforcement action against infringement. It's not just getting something approved - you're right pretty much anyone could do that!

So be wary of getting over confident.

The idea I had for a product was VERY SIMPLE, and I mean SIMPLE!

It was for a mass market - I approached 20 companies in the USA to licence this idea - there was NO interest.

In the USA you can obtain what is called a 'provisional patent' obtaining this this gives you 12 months protection.

In the UK there is NO such thing, ring the London patent office and they will confirm that.

HOWEVER, ring some UK patent lawyers AND they will tell there IS a way, to do a '12 month provisional patent' at the cheapest side i was quoted £3K for my simple idea.

AND that is what i did : '12 month provisional patent'

If any of the companies that i submitted my idea to, (huge corps) suddenly bring my idea to market ....I HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTATION AND CORRESPONDENCE - TO give to a win/or no fee lawyer and sue the ***** OUT of 'em!:p:D
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 November 2017 at 9:23PM
    Options
    diy_er wrote: »
    If any of the companies that i submitted my idea to, (huge corps) suddenly bring my idea to market ....I HAVE ALL THE DOCUMENTATION AND CORRESPONDENCE - TO give to a win/or no fee lawyer and sue the ***** OUT of 'em!:p:D[/SIZE][/FONT]

What are the chances your patent covers what you need it to cover?

There may well be a massive loophole in your patent!

I agree with keeping things cheap and cheerful if you are at an early stage, but if you have a lot of money riding on it, it is worth getting a professional involved.
  • diy_er
    Options
    No
    G_M wrote: »
    Rubbish.

In fact to follow your (inaapororiate) analysis, there are indeed peope who will do some basic DIY dentistry (eg string tied to door handle to remove a tooth!).

But more seriously, it's no different to any other DIY choice:

* do you call an electrician, or change the plug yourself
    * paint the room or call a decorator
    * service your own car or go to a garage
    etc

In each case, you assesss your own ability, the complexity of the task, and the risk if things go wrong (consider the car service - if you change the brake pads the consequences could be worse than getting conveyancing wrong!)

Different people will make different decisons in differet cases.

G_M ...WELL SAID!:beer:

YOU know why most people won't do it?

BECAUSE its....WORK!

My neighbour is a financial advisor, I spoke to him about it, says oh yeah it can be done yourself, hes moved 3 times (buying & selling) so i ask had he ever done it? response ...ah its time consuming! And all this FA does in the evenings is get boozed up & watch the crap on TV!

The price I've been quoted is from a solicitor from the estate agent, i have NOT rung around for a quote yet, as i WANT to do the conveyancing myself!

I mean £1500 + this is for a free hold property price of £260K ...I think is just taking the P*** ...in fact i told him that in not so many words, he was saying that if there was more searches each search was an EXTRA 200 quid!

FUNNY I havn't returned ANY of his calls!:eek:

• diy_er
    Options
    No
    What are the chances your patent covers what you need it to cover?

There may well be a massive loophole in your patent!

I agree with keeping things cheap and cheerful if you are at an early stage, but if it is something that is worth a lot to you, you should really be getting a professional involved ...

TOTAL time spent on this idea including making a plastic prototype in this idea was 40 to 50 hours.

Sure some of the companies said yeah they would sell online etc,...BUT I'm NOT going to invest THOUSANDS in injection molding/tooling to find out!

I've studied this area extensively - if ya interested go to YT and type in: 'one simple idea' Mr Key will give you all the knowledge ya need if ya interested in licencing...;)
  • bjo_2
    bjo_2 Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    No. Iwould not pay
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,992 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So have you asked a local solicitor how much they would charge?
    If you read more on here you will NEVER use anyone recommended by the estate agent to do the conveyancing!
  • blueroyals
    Options
    Call the vendor and tell them that their solicitor is refusing to engage with you. Sounds like their problem to me.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    If you're paying it from a bank account, then surely your bank has already done a certain amount of ML checks and knows where the money in that account came from? The hoops we have to jump through these days to prove our identity and sources of funds just to get even a savings account should mean that if someone suddenly paid in tens or hundreds of thousands in cash from the proceeds of crime, the bank would notice?

It should be against the law to force you to use a solicitor, OTOH if I was your seller, I'd probably roll my eyes if my solicitor told me you were doing your own conveyancing just because of any potential delays. If I knew you'd done it successfully before, that'd be fine.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes
    blueroyals wrote: »
    Call the vendor and tell them that their solicitor is refusing to engage with you. Sounds like their problem to me.

Not sure why that'll help.

Unfortunately, like it or not, there are now very stringent anti money laundering regulations in place, and this is almost certainly the reason a solicitor will only accept funds from another solicitor, and not an individual.

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/articles/quick-guide-to-the-money-laundering-regulations-2017/
  • diy_er
    Options
    No
    So far I have rang 6 Solicitors - NONE of them will just do the ML work.

However, best quote so far is £946.00 with VAT. (this is with a small local Solicitor)

The other thing is searching online theres plenty of conveyancing/Solicitor firms, AND some horror firms when you do a online search with "conveyancing firm name + reviews"

Now I've found a company that is VERY competitive on price its: £429.00 with VAT.

This is a busy company if you check their reviews on trustpilot they score 7.7 out of 10.

There are negative reviews about this company - however the owners are replying to these negative reviews and not with some standard copy&pate BS reply, this firm bends over backwards in regards of sorting out issues, anyone here used one of these type of online firms?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure