PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

DIY Conveyancing - Seller's solicitor won't accept my money

Options

Comments

• diy_er
    Options
    No
    THANKS for your post G_M

Reason for posting was to see if anyone he had done it, as no response from poster starter or since JAN.

Yep willl make some calls, and report back...
  • kirtondm
    kirtondm Posts: 436 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1500?

I have never paid anything like that for conveyancing!

If I were a solicitor I would not be interested in just taking the responsibility for money laundering and would price accordingly!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes
    diy_er wrote: »
    £1,500 + may small to you...:question:

Suggest you shop around. As I agree that isn't small. Sounds excessive in fact.

What's the breakdown?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Suggest you shop around. As I agree that isn't small. Sounds excessive in fact.

What's the breakdown?

Agreed, assuming that's purely the legal fees. Unless it's a particularly high value property, though from the context I'm guessing not.
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes
    diy_er wrote: »
    @Thrugelmir

NOT to brag... to do the conveyancing should be easy for me why?

Couple of years ago i wanted a patent for a very simple idea, you can imagine what these patent lawyers wanted!

Long story short, 2 weeks all in my spare time did the whole thing myself drawings/wording including submission and it got APPROVED!

Good job i never paid a bean to these rip-off patent lawyers (all they sell is FEAR) ...because no company was interested in the idea, so i binned it!:eek:

But heyhoo a great experience - plus i have another feather in me cap!

Shame you have binned the idea because the true worth of a good patent lawyer in putting together the claims section would only have been realised if you had ever had cause to take enforcement action against infringement. It's not just getting something approved - you're right pretty much anyone could do that!

So be wary of getting over confident.
  • JoJo1978
    JoJo1978 Posts: 375 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    My DH has a law degree and took conveyancing exams. But he's never been tempted to DIY and always insisted we hire a solicitor.

With the transaction we're embroiled in at the moment they're worth every penny. What appeared straightforward on paper wasn't quite so. Without them we'd have got stuck in a stalemate that could have taken months!

That £1500 figure does sound high though, no wonder you were put off
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Surely if the money is already in a UK bank the neccessary checks must already have been done.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Surely if the money is already in a UK bank the neccessary checks must already have been done.

No, there's a bit more to it than that. The solicitor needs to check the source of the funds - which they can't do if they don't even have sufficient evidence of whose account it is.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes
    This seems like it's getting far too close to a "why don't I save dentist bills by drilling and filling my own teeth" scenario.

This DIY idea sounds like the very definition of a "false economy".
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2017 at 9:01PM
    Options
    zagubov wrote: »
    This seems like it's getting far too close to a "why don't I save dentist bills by drilling and filling my own teeth" scenario.

This DIY idea sounds like the very definition of a "false economy".
    Rubbish.

In fact to follow your (inaapororiate) analogy, there are indeed peope who will do some basic DIY dentistry (eg string tied to door handle to remove a tooth!).

But more seriously, it's no different to any other DIY choice:

* do you call an electrician, or change the plug yourself
    * paint the room or call a decorator
    * service your own car or go to a garage
    etc

In each case, you assesss your own ability, the complexity of the task, and the risk if things go wrong (consider the car service - if you change the brake pads the consequences could be worse than getting conveyancing wrong - but some mechanically-minded people would still do it!)

Different people will make different decisons in different cases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure