Electric cars

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Do you have a link for those figures?
    I'm working on the basis that Toyota know.

Battery capacity
    https://www.toyota.co.uk/car-configurator/prius#carconfig/engine_grades/
    https://www.toyota.co.uk/car-configurator/prius-plug-in#carconfig/engine_grades/
    Click on "Engines", "View All Features", then open up the "Engine" tab and look at the last line for battery capacities.

Range is about half-way down...
    https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/prius-plugin/index.json
  • Personally it's a long time until I'll invest. The range isn't long enough to be convenient for me as I like to drive abroad skiing. As a run around a little Renault Twizy is great! Rented one in the new forest. Good fun for 50 miles.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 12 February 2018 at 12:20PM
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I'm working on the basis that Toyota know.

Battery capacity
    https://www.toyota.co.uk/car-configurator/prius#carconfig/engine_grades/
    https://www.toyota.co.uk/car-configurator/prius-plug-in#carconfig/engine_grades/
    Click on "Engines", "View All Features", then open up the "Engine" tab and look at the last line for battery capacities.

Range is about half-way down...
    https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/prius-plugin/index.json

Those are Ah figures, where are you getting the kWh figures from? What is the voltage?

Edit - I've found reference to 201V, so that would suggest 1.3kWh for the non plug-in, and 5kWh for the plug-in, but that seems a little low, so it may have changed.

Further edit, I believe the new bigger battery is 8.8kWh, a doubling from the old 4.4kWh.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    My apologies - you're right. "Electrickery thingies per hour"
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,353
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My apologies - you're right. "Electrickery thingies per hour"
    There you go, you're learning .... ;)

At this rate of progress we'll all expect to see positive posts concerning EVs quite soon! .... :cool:

:eek:

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    Yes, I'm getting ever closer - I clearly just need to let go of those last few shreds of my grasp of reality and technical understanding, and I'll finally be ready to drink from the fountain of eternal vapourware at the shrine of St Elon.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, I'm getting ever closer - I clearly just need to let go of those last few shreds of my grasp of reality and technical understanding, and I'll finally be ready to drink from the fountain of eternal vapourware at the shrine of St Elon.

If you can post that a 25kWh battery will only give 39 miles of range without all sorts of alarm bells going off in your head, then I'd suggest your current grasp is not the tightest.

BTW, Elon Musk/Tesla don't build Toyota Prius'.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    It does demonstrate how easily it is for even those with a clue to get confused between various non-interchangeable and, without additional information, non-comparable units thrown around.

FWIW, you appear to be correct with the 200ish volt figure. The difference in plug-in figures appears to be that the battery was changed around a year ago.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,353
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It does demonstrate how easily it is for even those with a clue to get confused between various non-interchangeable and, without additional information, non-comparable units thrown around.

FWIW, you appear to be correct with the 200ish volt figure. The difference in plug-in figures appears to be that the battery was changed around a year ago.
    Hi

Really ?? .... if an amount of energy is required to move an amount of mass a particular distance then any differential in storage capacity or consumption between systems simply resolves to the relative inefficiencies ... power is power, energy is energy, time is time, mass is mass, velocity is velocity.

Voltage is only relevant when current is known, current is only relevant when consuming and storage in terms of Ah is only relevant when voltage is known ... that's why storage in terms of Wh is relevant to those with a clue & that's why they don't seem to get confused quite as often as those without .... ;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • AdrianC
    Forumite
    zeupater wrote: »
    Really ?? .... if an amount of energy is required to move an amount of mass a particular distance then any differential in storage capacity or consumption between systems simply resolves to the relative inefficiencies ... power is power, energy is energy, time is time, mass is mass, velocity is velocity.

Voltage is only relevant when current is known, current is only relevant when consuming and storage in terms of Ah is only relevant when voltage is known ... that's why storage in terms of Wh is relevant to those with a clue & that's why they don't see to get confused quite as often as those without .... ;)
    And why Toyota's spec sheet quoting Ah battery figures (without voltage) is seemingly designed to trip the unwary.

(BTW, you don't seem to have realised you just agreed with me. Sorry 'bout that.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback