edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
4.3K replies 317.6K views

Replies

• Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    "Advert" is not the only word beginning with "A". "Analogy" does, too.

And A troll.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some nice news for the UK.

50-Fold Increase In Electric Motor Manufacturer YASA’s Production Capacity (UK)
    The UK-based electric motor manufacturer YASA will be increasing its production capacity 50-fold over the coming months. That is, it will be increasing from a production capacity of 2,000 units a year to 100,000 units a year. The increase is in anticipation of a surging market for electric vehicles in coming years, company execs have revealed.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWickNigeWick Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Some nice news for the UK
    Nissan state they've had 14,000 orders for the 2018 Leaf in Europe since they opened the books on it in October. A bit like Tesla, that's sight unseen and no test vehicles to drive.

I ordered one as it will be an improvement on my current 30kWh model.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • JPR5JPR5 Forumite
    7 posts
    As a company car under 2ltr the relief allowable is 14p per mile, over 2ltr is 22p per mile.
    Thanks
  • JPR5JPR5 Forumite
    7 posts
    Official figures are unachievable so why publish utter rubbish, if I could get half the stated average I would be happy!
  • JPR5JPR5 Forumite
    7 posts
    I leased the car based on 19k miles per year, it doesn't take a genius to work out that on this mileage I'm not doing local jaunts to the office, I work from home as well!
    I still say this was mis-sold, the facts don't lie, the advice from Mitsubishi is don't use anything electrical, no heating, no air con, don't do anything that can use up power, if you are cold put the steering wheel heater on and warm the seat, pre heat the car before you un plug, apply the regenerative braking, (this makes little difference), don't accelerate hard, basically aim for down hill journeys with the wind behind you and pray!
  • AdrianCAdrianC Forumite
    31.4K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JPR5 wrote: »
    Official figures are unachievable so why publish utter rubbish, if I could get half the stated average I would be happy!
    One of the biggest factors is driving style. A lead-footed incompetent will use much more fuel in the same car on the same route as somebody driving more smoothly.

But there is a change from the NEDC fuel and emissions test cycle to a "more representative" WLTP cycle - all new type-approvals from last September need to have gone through it, and all new cars registered after next September need to. It's aimed more at the emissions side - the Euro6 thresholds aren't changing, but they different testing will weed some of the tighter passes out. In doing so, the fuel figures can only become more representative, too.
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JPR5 wrote: »
    I leased the car based on 19k miles per year, it doesn't take a genius to work out that on this mileage I'm not doing local jaunts to the office,

Genuine question, but for long drives, did you really expect to do better than 32mpg with such a big vehicle?

• NigeWickNigeWick Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But there is a change from the NEDC fuel and emissions test cycle to a "more representative" WLTP cycle
    I still reckon the USA EPA is most representative of real world driving. They give the 2018 40kWh Nissan Leaf 151 miles. Even at that, I'm fairly sure one would not get such a high number from full charge to empty at 70 mph on a motorway. That said, the old NEDC is fairly accurate if one drives around town at 30mph or below on a summer's day with no air conditioning on.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Leaf is getting some good reviews, including a low (projected) cost of ownership:-

Kelly Blue Book Says Nissan LEAF Has Lowest 5 Year Cost Of Ownership
    How did the folks at KBB decide a car that has only been available for 5 days (5 weeks in the US) will have such a low cost of ownership? Let’s dig into that a bit. The operative word in this instance is “projected.” Kelly Blue Book has taken out its crystal ball and “projected” how much it will cost to own a LEAF. Your mileage may vary. See dealer for details.

The calculus includes such factors as expected depreciation, fuel costs (electricity, in this case), finance charges, and insurance premiums, together with maintenance expenses, repair costs, and state and local fees. Every new car buyer should do the same thing before signing on the dotted line, but of course most don’t. They only want to know what their monthly payment will be and whether they can take the car home today.