4.4K replies 317K views

Replies

• Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Pretty much my thinking .. if the industry perceive it as being beneficial, they'll invest to extend the lifespan, if not they'll continue as they are ...

As you mention, distributed generation will mitigate much of the issue anyway. The load on our local network transformer during the day is marginally lower just because of our small PV system, so should run cooler ... then again, the substation it's fed from has a 5MWp solar farm connected which is also reducing upstream network transformer loading. Maybe some nodes will need attention, but it's likely that distributed generation will have solved or significantly reduced the perceived problem before the mass uptake of EVs have had a chance to cause it!

HTH
    Z

Thanks.

Regarding distributed generation, BNEF predictions, which are always nearer the money than most, are that the UK will be getting close to 20% of its leccy from the demand side by 2040. But don't tell Adrian, as he doesn't think the sun shines in the UK!

Australia Poised For Renewable Energy Breakout
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Tesla semi-truck is getting some prototype testing on the roads. Will be interesting to see them used to move parts around for Tesla, batts delivering batts and so on. Though in the longer term I'm looking forward to the day I see a BEV truck with a fuel tanker trailer.

Tesla Semi Rolls Through Sunnyvale, Tesla Model 3 Rolls Into East Coast Showrooms

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This article on EV's is good. It comes at the argument from the environmental side now that US CO2 emissions from transport are higher than from power generation.

The main problems are that gas(oline) is very cheap in the US and the FF lobbies are incredibly strong

Switching to electric cars is key to fixing America's 'critically insufficient' climate policies

• almillaralmillar Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    David Aston:
    why wouldn't anyone wish to plug their car into the mains same way as they plug their vacuum cleaner in?

I agree it would certainly be convenient if we could use 3 pin plugs. The reason is that they can only provide ~ 2KW over long periods of time, and even then, you need to be sure you have good wiring, and it would be very inadvisable to use extension cables etc.
    3 pin, 240V, 13 amps, just isn't up to the job, unless you pretty much will ONLY charge overnight.

So - it's very slow, it could be a risk if you're house's wiring isn't up to it, it's less efficient (correct me if I'm wrong, but at least for a Renault Zoe, there is 'less loss' at higher charging speeds, so it's faster AND more efficient at 7kW+.
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There may be barriers to greater adoption of more electric vehicles but from my lurking on SpeakEV it's seems currently more to do with the varying standards of charger, their speed, the gaps in coverage and people blocking dedicated charging bays.

There's no intrinsic reason why the number of EVs cannot increase rapidly, although obviously resources will need to be increased, and you'd need rather more of a can do attitude than some people on here are showing.

I won't be getting an EV until the second hand market expands a bit, but the amount I export from my solar panels would almost cover my annual mileage, and if using the excess currently diverted to heating hot water I'd easily cover it.
  • zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    almillar wrote: »
    David Aston:

I agree it would certainly be convenient if we could use 3 pin plugs. The reason is that they can only provide ~ 2KW over long periods of time, and even then, you need to be sure you have good wiring, and it would be very inadvisable to use extension cables etc.
    3 pin, 240V, 13 amps, just isn't up to the job, unless you pretty much will ONLY charge overnight.

So - it's very slow, it could be a risk if you're house's wiring isn't up to it, it's less efficient (correct me if I'm wrong, but at least for a Renault Zoe, there is 'less loss' at higher charging speeds, so it's faster AND more efficient at 7kW+.
    Hi

Unless, of course, someone really wants to utilise & leverage their own microgeneration source to provide as much of their own clean/green energy as possible, so keeping the current low would be an advantage ...

For someone with a low mileage requirement who's at home during the day & has solar PV, the idea of low-current charging is probably ideal, after-all, averaging somewhere around 2-3kWh/day for tootling around isn't going to provide too much strain on a 4kWp solar PV system for the majority of the year if the car's simply sitting on the drive doing nothing ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

Note that the expert says "the GB power system can easily accommodate 15m plus cars".

I'd be one of Z's tootlers, to be honest, although tomorrow I'm off to the Alps and I'm not sure how I'd deal with that in future. Where I go they've plenty of hydro power but sod all public recharge points. They could do with them at the base of all the side valleys up to the ski resorts, since on the way down you can pretty well rely on braking recharging!
    10.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that the expert says "the GB power system can easily accommodate 15m plus cars".
    “There are many scare stories out there suggesting our power system cannot cope with the growth in electric vehicles. On the contrary, our research suggests that, provided EV charging is smart, the GB power system can easily accommodate 15m-plus electric cars,” said Richard Howard, head of research at Aurora.

That's quite different to the claims (on here) that the Grid couldn't cope with 2m EV's.
    He said the extra peak demand in a smart world was an insignificant increase, but it could not be taken for granted that motorists would change their habits.

“You need to have the technology in place and suppliers offering tariffs and behavioural change. There is also a role for government,” he said.

Smart charging could help drivers’ wallets too, costing them £110 a year to power their car by exploiting cheaper times of day, versus £280 for charging at peak times.

Howard admitted that most chargers today are “dumb” and the technology for smart charging will not arrive for the next two to three years, but said he was confident that it would happen.

“To an extent it’s fine [that it’s dumb] because there’s still only 120,000 electric cars on the road. But when you get to millions you have to have it right, and normalise it from the start.”

That's fair, but ignores the fact that even if chargers are dumb, the cars may not be. I've watched vids on the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla M3 where the car can be set to only allow/start charging during the low price night time period. This kicks in when the car's GPS knows that it's home.

• edited 24 January 2018 at 10:14AM
    AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    17.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 24 January 2018 at 10:14AM
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    That's fair, but ignores the fact that even if chargers are dumb, the cars may not be. I've watched vids on the Chevy Bolt and the Tesla M3 where the car can be set to only allow/start charging during the low price night time period. This kicks in when the car's GPS knows that it's home.

AFAIK all current (ha ha) electric cars have a timed charging function. It’s not necessary for them to use GPS since if they aren’t at home they likely won’t be plugged into a charger at nighttime anyway.
  • NigeWickNigeWick Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    zeupater wrote: »
    Unless, of course, someone really wants to utilise & leverage their own microgeneration source to provide as much of their own clean/green energy as possible, so keeping the current low would be an advantage ...
    I'm getting a myernergi Zappi smart charger in March. It acts similarly to the Immersun immersion heater electricity diverter but for the car.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes