Electric cars

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,806 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Then there's the issues facing EV adoption as a whole - and, for Joe Public, they all come back to range anxiety, real or perceived. Again, being in zealous denial helps nobody. The infrastructural issues that will come with widespread adoption fall into the out-of-sight-out-of-mind basket for Joe Public.

I believe all of those issues have been answered by actual rollout of infrastructure already (in line with EV numbers) and by responses to you by EV owners giving actual/real information.

You can keep raising them as unseen, or unanswerable, but they are neither.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    welfayre wrote: »
    You also need to keep in mind the Chinese are happy to build as many fossil fuel fired plants as necessary to meet demand and control most of the rare earth market needed for electrification, again largely due to their disregard for the environment.
    No doubt that's why they installed more solar generation than any other country last year. I suspect they used what was available (fossil fuels) to produce the wealth required in order to go green now.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    who deny all facts and reality when inconvenient.

I like the taste of the Kool-Aid, but I try not to guzzle it. I think you would agree that you shouldn't be quoting the list price of ANY car as 'how much it actually costs' - because it doesn't. There are discounts, sorry, contributions, off the list price, and so many people finance their cars anyway. And you know this. BMW and Renault have discounts on, at the same time of months of delivery time. That's the truth.
    Renault quote the NEDC figures and immediately rubbish them themselves giving more realistic numbers. Again, if someone asked what MPG they would get in any ICE car, they can't just expect to jump in the car and get the quoted MPG figures - there are plenty of complaints if this very nature on this forum. My point? You quoted official stuff, and seemed to give it more credence than a person's own personal experience, and I think you know better.
    have you seen the launch footage, and the test rides afterwards

Didn't know about test rides, no. But we can't talk about this truck like it's a current vehicle, it isn't, until customers are driving it on the road. So if they were doing test rides, yes, it's more than a 'styling mock up' - it's a prototype in my book.
    while governments elsewhere are providing customer subsidies hand-over-fist.

Small point - ANY manufacturer can take advantage of this - it's not a Tesla subsidy, it's an EV subsidy - level playing field here.
  • Martyn1981
    edited 5 January 2018 at 4:04PM
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Didn't know about test rides, no. But we can't talk about this truck like it's a current vehicle, it isn't, until customers are driving it on the road. So if they were doing test rides, yes, it's more than a 'styling mock up' - it's a prototype in my book.

That's correct, I'd also call it a 'styling mock up' or perhaps a pre-production model, but based on the as stated hardware (4 motors etc as visible when filmed later on by the guests). I think Adrian thinks it's a concept vehicle, which admittedly usually don't have working powertrains etc.

Speaking of the motors, does everyone appreciate how significant that move is. The truck won't have a purpose made motor, but will instead simply use 4 Model 3 motors.

That's also why they are giving it a 1,000,000 mile breakdown guarantee, as the motors are independent and the truck will 'drive like a diesel' on just 2 motors.

The ability to share kit across models as varied as mid range cars, and HGV's will save a fortune.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Those with concerns over the ability of grids to cope with any instantaneous EV demand, might find this article interesting, as it covers a deployment of charger + battery to help balance out peaks and troughs, and to take advantage of cheap leccy prices.

GreenWay Launches First “GridBooster” EV Fast-Charging System In Central & Eastern Europe

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    ... Speaking of the motors, does everyone appreciate how significant that move is. The truck won't have a purpose made motor, but will instead simply use 4 Model 3 motors.

That's also why they are giving it a 1,000,000 mile breakdown guarantee, as the motors are independent and the truck will 'drive like a diesel' on just 2 motors.

The ability to share kit across models as varied as mid range cars, and HGV's will save a fortune.
    Hi

That's exactly the same point as made earlier regarding the Leaf motor being uprated ... a simple single part number in the designer's component selection-box makes total sense & using software to limit performance where necessary is far preferable to tooling up for various derivatives and managing unnecessary complex component logistics.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2018 at 6:17AM
    Options
    Good to see the same people are still arguing about the same EV 'concerns' ;).

Anyways for me I'm coming up to 3 years of owing an eletric car and 10 months since swapping the Leaf for a Tesla.

Have covered 12K miles in the Tesla since March 2017 and 26K EV miles in total. Longest trip was Leicester to Edinburgh and back, also have taken 6 colleagues from Leicester to Southamtopn in a 320 mile roundtrip in one day with no problems. Currently planning trip to south France this summer.

To say the Tesla is the best car Ive ever owned by far is an understatement. We have now put in a reservation for the Model 3. The 3 will replace me wifes current car and let us go fully electric for personal transportation, 2019/20 timeline will do us fine, gives us longer to save up for the AWD 'P' version :).

24748340288_6bc883b820_k_d.jpg

24517592608_5b146a4581_z_d.jpg

38958242271_719ff84f5b_o_d.jpg

35453001704_b78b757a4c_z_d.jpg
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:02AM
    Options
    gzoom wrote: »
    Good to see the same people are still arguing about the same EV 'concerns' ;).

Anyways for me I'm coming up to 3 years of owing an eletric car and 10 months since swapping the Leaf for a Tesla.

Can you tow with it?

Edit: Answered my own question. Yes, but it seems not in the UK/EU as not type approved.
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 January 2018 at 8:37AM
    Options
    Can you tow with it?

Edit: Answered my own question. Yes, but it seems not in the UK/EU as not type approved.

The Tesla? Yes it has a tow hitch supplied by Tesla.

But I've never towed anything ever in any car and don't intend to, other UK owners have though. I will probably get a tow mounted bike carrier once my daughter is old enough for a push bike :).

nick-goldring_social.jpg
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gzoom wrote: »
    The Tesla? Yes it has a tow hitch supplied by Tesla.

Thanks. I did a search but got conflicting results. We have considered an EV as a second car but want the ability to tow. Unfortunately, very few of the EVs available seem to have the capability and a Model X is way over our budget for a car that would be used primarily for commuting.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback