British Gas default RE-ADDED after 6 years

Options

Comments

• cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    Options
    GingerBob wrote: »
    You will no doubt have noticed, then, that there are no T&Cs and no contracts when supplying or procuring a domestic water supply.

You do not need to have a contract in writing. They supply you water, you are bound to pay the charges that they set. That in itself IS a contract.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Hi there,

Also a member of the British Gas erroneous default club. Did anyone else have any luck complaining to BG directly, or did you have to go down the Ombudsman route?
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • selfhelp
    selfhelp Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Either option is an abject experience. However whatever you do avoid going through the Ombudsman at all costs. I, along with many others, have trudged this route and I can tell you exactly what the outcome will be.

The Energy Ombudsman is a pointless, impotent quango funded by the utilities. Hop on over to Trust Pilot if you need further confirmation and what people think of The Energy Ombudsman. Then ask yourself how are these people still in employment.

I've submitted my complaint to the ICO re: inaccurate reporting of data. Given the workload they are currently under (GDPR) they certainly won't relish every individual knocking at their door but this is the harsh reality and it may well motivate someone, somewhere in authority to bar British Gas from reporting personal data to credit reference agencies, British Gas blight lives. I'm surprised there's been no petition as yet.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    TrustPilot will have bad reviews, as people tend to vent online and post negative reviews rather than positive ones.

I've had to deal with BG via the Energy Ombudsman and got the result I expected and it was all dealt with swiftly and expertly from start to finish.

Also BG's complaints team are great, they fixed an issue I had with an erroneous credit file entry, and even compensated me for the trouble, even though I never asked or had the intention of asking
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I've started my complaint with BG and think I'm obliged to wait 8 weeks- or for them to say I've exhausted their complaint process.

Does anyone know if I'm also required to wait 8 weeks to lodge a complaint with the ICO?

Thanks
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They're usually quite quick - my issue was resolved in a matter of a week or less.

If you cannot come to a conclusion between the 2 of you, then request a deadlock letter.

You can then escalate it
  • selfhelp
    selfhelp Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Someone leaping to the defence of British Gas and The Energy Ombudsman within 15 minutes of posting!!! That's unusual. As per previous firstly refer to Martin Lewis's piece from the 28th October 2017 in The Guardian which labelled the ombudsman a shambles.

Secondly confirm the 210 reviews on Trust Pilot and again make your own mind up, most of these reviews indignant that they had to leave 1 STAR.

While some reviews are for other Ombudsman services you'll find the majority of bad and poor are reserved for The Energy Ombudsman, it's a right riveting read. So definitely confirmed as an unmitigated shambles I'm afraid Mr Dexter but by all means take it up with Martin Lewis. If I worked there I'd be acutely embarrassed every time pay day rolled around. A pointless not fit for purpose quango.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    About as pointless as your post then.

Stop putting others off with horror stories.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    I have to agree- the reviews on Trust Pilot do look shocking! Does anyone know if the ICO would be more efficient in this instance? Thanks.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£2457.92 TCB.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No. You need to go to the ombudsman first.

Actually you need to get an answer/deadlock letter from BG first before doing anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure