MSE News: TSB offers bank switchers free £125, £5/mth cashback AND 3% interest

Options

Comments

• Everynamestaken
    Options
    I have a Tsb classic plus. Going to go in Branch today with ID (cant find the debit card anyway) and hoping they will just close it.

I will then switch either First direct or Halifax (I'm swaying towards FD) to get a new TSB account online.

I can't see anything in the terms and conditions so I think I'll close it today and then open the new one next weekend.
  • will-he-payitoff
    Options
    I have 2 already. Can any one please advise If I can close both of these open one more and get the reward?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2017 at 2:58PM
    Options
    Read the T&C and make your mind up.
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought that I wasn't allowed to do this because I already have a TSB Classic Plus account. But I didn't switch to TSB with it, I opened it to use for interest.

But can I just close it and open this via the switching service?

Or do I need to have not been a TSB customer for a while... I can't get the incentive if I switch back to HSBC because I was with them a year ago... I wondered if this was the same...
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    I thought that I wasn't allowed to do this because I already have a TSB Classic Plus account. But I didn't switch to TSB with it, I opened it to use for interest.

But can I just close it and open this via the switching service?

Or do I need to have not been a TSB customer for a while... I can't get the incentive if I switch back to HSBC because I was with them a year ago... I wondered if this was the same...

See #54:)......
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    See #54:)......

I read the T&C and am still none the wiser. That's why I asked here.

I wonder what TSB would say if I asked them?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I read the T&C and am still none the wiser.
    Post them up here and someone will talk you through them, highlighting the relevant bits. If the relevant bits are not there, we'll all know they don't apply.
    I wonder what TSB would say if I asked them?
    "Your questions are answered in the T&Cs sir. Would you like a copy to read?"
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Post them up here and someone will talk you through them, highlighting the relevant bits. If the relevant bits are not there, we'll all know they don't apply."Your questions are answered in the T&Cs sir. Would you like a copy to read?"

So if it doesn't specifically mention that I can't close my account and then open another one, then it's okay to do it? It doesn't feel like they would like it. But if it's just a case of - if it's not in the T&C then go for it - then fair enough.
  • sheffieldeagle
    Options
    Does anyone know if you choose the option to go paperless during the application process or once your online account is open? I've noticed this is a condition to earn the 3% interest.

Thanks
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So if it doesn't specifically mention that I can't close my account and then open another one, then it's okay to do it? It doesn't feel like they would like it. But if it's just a case of - if it's not in the T&C then go for it - then fair enough.
    As has been said many times on here, it's just as important to read what the T&Cs DON'T say, as it is to read what they DO say.

Remember, incentive T&Cs are not written to make it easy for those who are out to fleece them...they're written for 'general' customers!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure